Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swap file and other questions

Default Swap file and other questions

Good day I downloaded and installed openSUSE Tumbleweed yesterday and was surprised to end up with boot, OS, AND swap partitions. I would of figured this day and age the default would be boot partition and OS partition with a swap file. I'm assuming during install I must of missed something. Can someone point me at what I missed? My second question is I downloaded rpm's for both Vivaldi and Plex Media Server before doing the install and when I rightclicked either of them after landing on the desktop for the first time and selecting open with yast I got a file integrity error. I'm assuming that there must of been something I needed to install or I missed a step for installing the programs? The third question I have is why would I have to enter my password to access one of my partitions on secondary drives. This happened on at least two partitions / drives I clicked in places to access? And lastly I went to drop my service menu items into their respective folders and neither folder was in the file system nor their parent folders, and the first thing I did in Dolphin was check show hidden files. Is the services something I have to add and I just forgot about it? Thanks

Default Re: Swap file and other questions

Show us as root fdisk -l Please use code tags for computer output

If you selected a LVM container you may have created a boot partition also. But maybe the boot partition is the EFI boot partition which is used with EFI booting.

Like @gogalthorpe asks it is better to show what you have now, so we can better inerprete your srory.

That sais, it is rather normal that on installation a swap partition is suggested. That it is possible to use files for swapping is not something that even many people know off. Also I doubt (but I am not sure) that you can use file swap for hibernation.

And yes, you may have missed something during installation. Just before you fire of the real installation there is a screen which shows you an overview of what is going to happen. Partitioning is part of it and you can fgo there and change to your liking. That said, you can remove the suggested swap partition there, but I doubt it is possible to configure any file swapping during the instllation proces. That you have to introduce manualy after the installation.

Like @goglathorpe I doubt a boot partition is suggested. When you use EFI, an efi partition is a must.
    Henk van Velden

And sorry,

I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the openSUSE forums.

About the CODE tags mentionedabove:

There is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.

Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

Regards,
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Show us as root fdisk -l Please use code tags for computer output

If you selected a LVM container you may have created a boot partition also. But maybe the boot partition is the EFI boot partition which is used with EFI booting.
    I removed Tumbleweeed before creating the thread cause it was only for a test run. That said I avoided the LVM. As for EFI yes my board is UEFI only so ending up with the efi / boot partition and one partition for everything else makes sense. The swap partition didn't make sense to me. Like I said I'm assuming I missed where I can choose to have a swap file rather than a swap partition? Would I be correct in that assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Like @gogalthorpe asks it is better to show what you have now, so we can better inerprete your srory.

That said, it is rather normal that on installation a swap partition is suggested. That it is possible to use files for swapping is not something that even many people know off. Also I doubt (but I am not sure) that you can use file swap for hibernation.

And yes, you may have missed something during installation. Just before you fire of the real installation there is a screen which shows you an overview of what is going to happen. Partitioning is part of it and you can fgo there and change to your liking. That said, you can remove the suggested swap partition there, but I doubt it is possible to configure any file swapping during the instllation proces. That you have to introduce manualy after the installation.

Like @goglathorpe I doubt a boot partition is suggested. When you use EFI, an efi partition is a must.

Actually a swap file is better because it's faster. I could not tell you which would be better for hibernation but my bet would be there is very little difference. That said I never put the system in standby or shut it down. As for configuring the swap file when no swap partition is selected should be automatic by the install. Either way swap file or not it's never used from my experience because of the amount of memory on today's computers, including selfbuilt ones like mine. I've in cluded a screen of my current manjaro so we know we are on the same page. The first partition is of course efi / boot, the second partition is my main Manjaro OS, and the third partition is a second install of Manjaro. As you can see there is no swap partition.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And sorry,

I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the openSUSE forums.

About the CODE tags mentionedabove:

There is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.

Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

Regards,

Thanks for the welcome, as for the code I belong to plenty of forums so I know how to use the editors, but thank you.

I realy wonder if you have read my post.

A EFI partition is NOT the same as a /boot partition. So please do not talk so casualy about the "efi / boot partition".
    You need an EFI partition when your system uses EFI boot. And after boot it is normaly mounted on /boot/efi so you can access it when your system is running when need arises. It's file system type is in the FAT family.
    A /boot partition is only needed under special circumstances. E.g. when the boot loader program (LILO, GRUB, ...) can not access /boot because it is on a file system type not supported, or hidden away in an LVM structure and the like.
    Nevertheless you can always use a separate file system for /boot when you like that as personal preference.
    From the above one can deduct that the file system type on a /boot partition should be one that is supported by the bootloader. But the ones most used today (ext2/3/4 and Btrfs) are supported by GRUB).

As I tried to explain above, a swap partition is suggested during installation and you can remove/resize that from the suggested partitioning if you want. File swap is NOT offered during installation, thus you have not missed any choice of using it.

I realy wonder while you seem to think that a swap partition is something of the paste and that file swap is todays habit. Can you explain where you found that?
    Last edited by hcvv; 28-Jul-2020 at 06:00.
    Henk van Velden

I don't think you can use a swap file for hibernation. But you do need swap of at least the size of memory to hibernate.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienProber View Post
    Actually a swap file is better because it's faster. I could not tell you which would be better for hibernation but my bet would be there is very little difference. That said I never put the system in standby or shut it down. As for configuring the swap file when no swap partition is selected should be automatic by the install. Either way swap file or not it's never used from my experience because of the amount of memory on today's computers, including selfbuilt ones like mine. I've in cluded a screen of my current manjaro so we know we are on the same page. The first partition is of course efi / boot, the second partition is my main Manjaro OS, and the third partition is a second install of Manjaro. As you can see there is no swap partition.
    Well, this is openSUSE and not Manjaro. When all distros were the same, they would not have any reason for existance.

When you remove the swap partition from the proposed partitioning, there is no deep thinking of the installer: "oh, then probably file swapping is wanted". The installer designers then simply take it for granted that one does not want swap.

As said earlier, after the install, you can create as many swap files as you want on the places you want, either before you commision the installed system into day-to-day service and/or later.

And about your mis-reading of "/boot/efi" as "efi / boot", see my earlier post.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I don't think you can use a swap file for hibernation. But you do need swap of at least the size of memory to hibernate.
    You are correct, but he does not want to hibernate, thus ........
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast