Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE empty space between notifications and other system tray icons

Default Re: KDE empty space between notifications and other system tray icons

Quote Originally Posted by elksi View Post
    Looking on the running processes since the beginning of this issue and I cannot spot something strange. The "blank space" itself it is not associated with an application or process, it stays blank if you hover the mouse over it when the other icons display the applications names. Don't have any clue at least for what "offending" processes should I look.
    Well, as already indicated, the system tray should not show entries by itself.
    Only if an application creates a system tray icon (in this case apparently a "broken" one).

Maybe try to kill processes/applications one-by-one, if you get the right one the empty icon should vanish.

Maybe try to start with an empty session (in systemsettings5->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session) and see if the icon is gone then.

Managed to pinpoint it. Now I need to find a solution.

The culprit is ibus-ui-gtk3. I have 2 processes running. Killing one of them removes either the blank space or the legitimate (with icon) ibus entry on the system tray. So if it don't hit the "correct" one (the one with the blank space) with the first try I have to kill both of them to make the "blank space" disappear, loosing the correct entry also (I have it as always hidden so no problem and it doesn't seem to create a malfunction somewhere).

The question now is why ibus-ui-gtk3 is launched twice on reboot or login and where to look to fix this.

The question now is why ibus-ui-gtk3 is launched twice on reboot or login and where to look to fix this.
    I don't know, I don't use ibus-ui-gtk3 (nor ibus at all).

Maybe one instance is started by Plasma's session management?
    If that's the problem, you should be able to exclude it in systemsettings5 (Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session, as mentioned earlier).

But Plasma does have ibus support built-in AFAIK, you don't really need to have ibus-ui-gtk3 installed/running.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-Jul-2020 at 06:50.

Will look more on why ibus was installed and if it can be removed... I think zoom had it as a dependency, but I'm not sure.

For now I have removed
    Code:
    /etc/xdg/autostart/ibus-autostart.desktop
    and at least with the last 2 reboots I don't get the second ibus-ui-gtk3 instance. Will report any change.

For now I have removed
    Code:
    /etc/xdg/autostart/ibus-autostart.desktop
    and at least with the last 2 reboots I don't get the second ibus-ui-gtk3 instance.
    You could copy the file to ~/.config/autostart/ and add a line "Hidden=true" to disable it.

But as I wrote, I think it's likely that it's also launched by Plasma's session management (because it was running on logout). Adding it to the exclude list in the settings (systemsettings5->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session) may "fix" the problem as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12