Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Tumbleweed no longer available? My system can't play web videos again

  1. #21

    Default Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Tumbleweed no longer available? My system can't play web vide

    Quote Originally Posted by Grosskopf View Post
    hey, so how do I install libavcodec57 if it isn't avaliable?
    You need to add the Packman repo, as usual for full multimedia support.
    That does provide libavcodec57 as well.

    If you don't want to add repos, you need to wait until the next Tumbleweed snapshot which will contain a fix for Firefox to support libavcodec58_91 as mentioned.
    Another option is to symlink /usr/lib(64)/libavcodec.so.58 to /usr/lib(64)/libavcodec.so.58.91 temporarily.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Jul-2020 at 08:18.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Tumbleweed no longer available? My system can't play web

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    That may depend on what videos you try to play exactly, or what other addons you may have installed.

    You certainly do need it for full codec support though.
    (otherwise this thread and the bug report wouldn't exist in the first place).
    I see. ffmpeg codecs are now fixed, but dynamic linking needs to be fixed too.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  3. #23

    Wink Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Tumbleweed no longer available? My system can't play web vide

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You need to add the Packman repo, as usual for full multimedia support.
    That does provide libavcodec57 as well.
    That's good to know, only had the VLC repository active because Packman timed out a lot and i got annoyed at it. now i know again why i need packman

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Another option is to symlink /usr/lib(64)/libavcodec.so.58 to /usr/lib(64)/libavcodec.so.58.91 temporarily.
    that works for me as i'm on mobile data only currently, thanks for the quick fix

  4. #24

    Default Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Tumbleweed no longer available? My system can't play web vide

    Quote Originally Posted by Grosskopf View Post
    That's good to know, only had the VLC repository active because Packman timed out a lot and i got annoyed at it. now i know again why i need packman
    Well, the VLC repo actually did still have libavcodec58 when I last looked though, which Firefox should be able to use.
    Meanwhile they updated to libavcodec58_91 though as well (two days ago it seems, according to the file date).

    That's completely irrelevant meanwhile though, as the Firefox update that should make it be able to use the latest libavcodec58_91 actually is already in Tumbleweed since last Friday:
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2020-07/msg00393.html

    ==== MozillaFirefox ====
    Subpackages: MozillaFirefox-translations-common

    - Add mozilla-libavcodec58_91.patch to link against updated
    soversion of libavcodec (58.91) with ffmpeg >= 4.3.
    (patch provided by Atri Bhattacharya <badshah400@xxxxxxxxx>
    - enable MOZ_USE_XINPUT2 for TW (again) (boo#1173320)
    (Plasma 5.19.3 is now in TW)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-Jul-2020 at 06:44.

  5. #25

    Wink Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Tumbleweed no longer available? My system can't play web vide

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, the VLC repo actually did still have libavcodec58 when I last looked though, which Firefox should be able to use.
    Meanwhile they updated to libavcodec58_91 though as well (two days ago it seems, according to the file date).

    That's completely irrelevant meanwhile though, as the Firefox update that should make it be able to use the latest libavcodec58_91 actually is already in Tumbleweed since last Friday:
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2020-07/msg00393.html

    Great job! Now I'm confident to schedule the next update.

    #chameleonlove

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •