Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packman and Tumbleweed-OSS offer conflicting packages for identical codec libraries

Default Re: Packman and Tumbleweed-OSS offer conflicting packages for identical codec libraries

thank you.

not really knowing what i had called my packman repos i opted for the option of simply reinstalling TW 20200715 into the same mount points.
    in the hope of just re-running the tumbleweed multimedia guide... but i can see it is no longer stick'ied in the \multimedia subforum.

is this deliberate, because the recent snafu has invalidated that advice for new installs?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Packman and Tumbleweed-OSS offer conflicting packages for identical codec libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    not really knowing what i had called my packman repos ...
    Open Yast Software Management.

Select the Repository views. You can do that with the "View" tab.

You will see a list of repositories. When you click on one, you will get a list of what is available in that repo.

My guess is that you will quickly recognize which is packman.

Then, after selecting the packman repo, there should be a place you can click (near the top of the screen) to "Switch system packages" to that rep. So do that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

thanks, will try for next time.

from the perspective of a fresh install needing the new codecs specified from packman, is there a reason why the multimedia guid for TW which listed those codecs as konsole commands has disappeared?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Repeat the switch of system packages to packman
    Code:
    zypper dup --from packman --allow-vendor-change
    (except replace "packman" by the name that you are using for the packman repo.

Then, when done, try to remove any orphaned packages. In my opinion, the best way to do that is with Yast Software Management. Select the "Repositories" view (use the "VIew" tab to select).

Then look for "Secondary filter" and select "Unmaintained Packages". Those are the orphans (packages not found in any enable repo). Try deleting them.

I prefer to do it this way, because Yast will present a popup with any conflicts. In case of conflicts, you might want to temporarily keep that package anyway. If you remove orphans with "zypper remove", then sometimes "zypper" just goes ahead and also removes conflicting packages without asking for approval.
    zypper can be puzzling. Removed unneeded packages identified earlier by running " zypper packages --unneeded|grep Packman". Then I moved everything back to oss using " zypper dup --from openSUSE-20191106-0 --allow-vendor-change" and forward to Packman by running "zypper dup --from Packman --allow-vendor-change". Following packages previously needed were now flagged unneeded:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # zypper packages --unneeded|grep Packman
    i | Packman             | libavformat56                       | 2.8.15-7.32                   | x86_64
    i | Packman             | libavresample2                      | 2.8.15-7.32                   | x86_64
    i | Packman             | libdca0                             | 0.0.7-1.3                     | x86_64
    i | Packman             | libfaad2                            | 2.9.2-2.3                     | x86_64
    i | Packman             | libpostproc53                       | 2.8.15-7.32                   | x86_64
    i | Packman             | libswscale3                         | 2.8.15-7.32                   | x86_64
    erlangen:~ #
    These could be safely removed. Confirmed by "zypper verify". zypper may work different from what you are assuming it does. Anyway removing orphaned and unneeded packages helps avoiding conflicts.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Here's part of the output from my update to 20200715:
    Code:
    The following 6 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      libavdevice58_10 libavfilter7_85 libavresample4_0 libcfitsio9 libxxhash0
      raleway-fonts

The following 10 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7 libavformat58 libavresample4
      libavutil56 libcfitsio8 libpostproc55 libswresample3 libswscale5
    I didn't check all, but most of those NEW packages are from packman repo (I give it a better priority). Most of the REMOVED packages are one that were switched from packman to the main repo at the previous update.

The changes for the update to 20200716 did not seem relevant to the issues being discussed in this thread.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12