Thread: Networking question on wireless

Default Networking question on wireless

I have a gb router that has wireless - Netgear WNDR4500v2 - a pretty normal setup, but I want to expand my coverage because its weak downstairs. I have a gb ethernet drop that goes from a lan port on the router to the place where I want to put some kind of device to expand my wireless signal. The thing is, I want to have the same SSID as upstairs so it will just be an extension of my existing network. What kind of device should i buy to do this? Can anyone recommend a specific model item?
    Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Nobody move!
    Doc Holliday: Nonsense. By all means, move.

Default Re: Netwroking question on wireless

Quote Originally Posted by erbenton View Post
    I have a gb router that has wireless - Netgear WNDR4500v2
    If you have a Netgear Router then, using a Netgear Range Extender isn't the wrong decision: <https://www.netgear.com/home/product...nge-extenders/>.
    • Yes, there are other WLAN Repeaters out there but, whether or not they'll properly support any vendor-specific features expected by your Router's vendor, is a moot point.

For example, my favourite German vendor has, for their latest models, a feature where, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz user channels are not used for the WLAN links between the Router and the Repeaters; the links between the Router and the Repeaters and, the links between Repeaters, use separate 5 GHz channels which are not normally used by other devices.

Default Re: Netwroking question on wireless

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    If you have a Netgear Router then, using a Netgear Range Extender isn't the wrong decision: <https://www.netgear.com/home/product...nge-extenders/>.
    • Yes, there are other WLAN Repeaters out there but, whether or not they'll properly support any vendor-specific features expected by your Router's vendor, is a moot point.

For example, my favourite German vendor has, for their latest models, a feature where, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz user channels are not used for the WLAN links between the Router and the Repeaters; the links between the Router and the Repeaters and, the links between Repeaters, use separate 5 GHz channels which are not normally used by other devices.
    Thanks, I'll read up on the Netgear range-extenders in your link, the name sounds like the right kind of device.
    Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Nobody move!
    Doc Holliday: Nonsense. By all means, move.