Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative DE w/OpenSUSE - how does it work?

Default Re: Alternative DE w/OpenSUSE - how does it work?

One more question, I’m still having an issue where my whole oST install is freezing completely. Everything stops (can’t move/use the mouse/keyboard, all internet stops, media server quits responding, etc) and I cannot find any way to connect (tty was mentioned and I can’t get that working). The only thing that gets me out of it is a hard physical power button power off/reboot.

I’m wondering if this could be from KDE for some reason. It’s about the only think I could think of at this point. My previous distro never showed signs of this (though it’s on a separate SSD in the same system) but it made me curious if that could be the problem. I have used alternative compositors but that didn’t make any difference. That’s part of why I wanted to try a different DE to see if that might help with the issue.

Thanks so much everyone. I so appreciate all of the help and you sharing your knowledge. I’m truly grateful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raeyn View Post
    One more question, I’m still having an issue where my whole oST install is freezing completely. Everything stops (can’t move/use the mouse/keyboard, all internet stops, media server quits responding, etc) and I cannot find any way to connect (tty was mentioned and I can’t get that working). The only thing that gets me out of it is a hard physical power button power off/reboot.
    Graphics-related issue perhaps. If you haven't done so already (I didn't check your recent posting history), I would consider starting a new thread to discuss this perhaps. Share your hardware details.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

One other question from some of the replies - I’m seeing the terms “pattern” and Alternatives (used in a proper noun sense, as the title/name of something). Can anyone expound on these terms a bit? Alternatives seems to be something in YaST and is pattern the term for a group of packages or something else?

Blog Entries

...and is pattern the term for a group of packages or something else?
    Yes... summarised in 'man zypper'
    pattern
    A group of packages required or recommended to install some functionality.

@suse_rasputin, can you please share more about how you use VNC with KDE? I read the OpenSUSE wiki on their VNC integration and I want to use the “automatically started sessions” - whether one-shot or permanent. It specifically says that you can’t use KDE on that because it uses SDDM and the automatically started sessions require XDMCP instead. I can’t seem to find a way to get KDE working without SDDM. I’d love any thoughts. I’m wanting to be able to start the VNC session without having to deal with being there on the OpenSUSE installs end - which is why I want the automatically started sessions to work, if that makes sense. Any info would be great. I’m impressed with OpenSUSE that they have documentation on how to use and how VNC is implemented. I searched for the last two years to try to find that info to make it work on Mint. Serious kudos to OpenSUSE.
    I use tigerVNC and a systemd service to start the server on boot. Only thing to keep in mind: after updating (TW or Leap) the systemd service might not be running after rebooting more often than not (has been that way for years now). So: check, and if necessary start the server manually (vncserver :1) and reboot, then it will come up automatically next time. Using it for years with remote machines.

The necessary file for the systemd service I posted here some time ago. You can access the server via ssh (described in archlinux wiki for tigervnc).
    Kind regards

raspu

Out of curiosity, if I do try all or some mix of these DEs and end up with both QT and GTK3 installed - and then subsequently choose a DE with one or the other library, if I uninstall the other, I assume that all the unneeded libraries will be removed with them? Is that correct or not?
    Yes, in theory, but your mileage might vary depending on what you have installed and what you want to remove. To get a feeling without actually touching your system try:
    Code:
    sudo zypper rm --dry-run --clean-deps patterns-kde-kde
    There are equivalent options in the YaST Software manager.

One other question from some of the replies - I’m seeing the terms “pattern” and Alternatives (used in a proper noun sense, as the title/name of something). Can anyone expound on these terms a bit? Alternatives seems to be something in YaST...
    Try the following commands to have a feeling of what this is all about:
    Code:
    man update-alternatives

sudo update-alternatives --list displaymanager

sudo update-alternatives --get-selections
    You get a graphical tool to change alternatives with YaST /etc/sysconfig Editor
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Yes, in theory, but your mileage might vary depending on what you have installed and what you want to remove. To get a feeling without actually touching your system try:
    Code:
    sudo zypper rm --dry-run --clean-deps patterns-kde-kde
    There are equivalent options in the YaST Software manager.

Try the following commands to have a feeling of what this is all about:
    Code:
    man update-alternatives

sudo update-alternatives --list displaymanager

sudo update-alternatives --get-selections
    You get a graphical tool to change alternatives with YaST /etc/sysconfig Editor
    It is yast2-alternatives that provides a graphical utility for managing the update-alternatives mechanism.

System configuration via /etc/sysconfig is a different framework altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It is yast2-alternatives that provides a graphical utility for managing the update-alternatives mechanism.

System configuration via /etc/sysconfig is a different framework altogether.
    Sorry, my bad (always managing alternatives via CLI here...)
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Note on removing desktops. DON'T!!! It is very tricky to remove a desktop when your have multiple ones because you can break things in the one(s) you keep because of common dependencies

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Note on removing desktops. DON'T!!!
    Yes, I agree. Just don't login to that desktop.

I did recently uninstall "xfce4-notifyd", because it was interfering with KDE handling of notifications. But I left the rest of XFCE there.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast