Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a driver (rtl8812au) to load against a Linksys WUSB6400M dongle

Default Re: Getting a driver (rtl8812au) to load against a Linksys WUSB6400M dongle

I found my answer to the last question. I also installed rtl8822bu-preempt by mistake. I removed it and the preempt kernel.
    One more problem. On my laptop, dmesg tells me that unsigned module loading is restricted and that the kernel locked it out. It associated to the dongle, but the kernel-default won't allow it to load.

Default Re: Getting a driver (rtl8812au) to load against a Linksys WUSB6400M dongle

Quote Originally Posted by purevw View Post
    On my laptop, dmesg tells me that unsigned module loading is restricted and that the kernel locked it out. It associated to the dongle, but the kernel-default won't allow it to load.
    Show actual message or better full dmesg output.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Show actual message or better full dmesg output.
    Per your request:
    Code:
    [  196.328000] usb 1-1.4.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [  196.328005] usb 1-1.4.3: Product: WUSB6400M
    [  196.328009] usb 1-1.4.3: Manufacturer: Linksys
    [  196.328013] usb 1-1.4.3: SerialNumber: 123456
    [  197.203538] Lockdown: systemd-udevd: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
    This was dmesg output after I inserted the dongle. rtl8822bu driver is installed and modprobe sees that it is correct for my dongle, but the kernel sees it as unsigned and won't allow it to load, if I am reading it correctly.
    It was also requested that I ran a modprobe command to see if the system is identifying the dongle and correct driver. It is"
    Code:
    Lenovo:/home/ronnie # modprobe -c | grep -i "13b1.\+0043"
    alias usb:v13B1p0043d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFiscFFipFFin* rtl8822bu

Quote Originally Posted by purevw View Post
    Code:
    [  197.203538] Lockdown: systemd-udevd: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
    Full dmesg output would have shown also reason for lockdown, but I am sure it is UEFI Secure Boot. SUSE kernel will enforce signed modules if you boot with Secure Boot enabled. There is no way to override it. So the options are

1. Disable Secure Boot.
    2. Ask maintainer of repository to sign modules during build. They will be signed by repository key and you can enroll this key using mokutil, so kernel will trust it and accept modules signed by this key. It is even possible to submit enrollment request as part of KMP installation like is done for kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Full dmesg output would have shown also reason for lockdown, but I am sure it is UEFI Secure Boot. SUSE kernel will enforce signed modules if you boot with Secure Boot enabled. There is no way to override it. So the options are

1. Disable Secure Boot.
    2. Ask maintainer of repository to sign modules during build. They will be signed by repository key and you can enroll this key using mokutil, so kernel will trust it and accept modules signed by this key. It is even possible to submit enrollment request as part of KMP installation like is done for kernel.
    I posted exactly what dmesg showed after I plugged the dongle. Nothing was left out.
    It's actually no longer necessary to troubleshoot this. I was forced to do a fresh install of Windows 10, because it refused to activate. Windows didn't like my partition scheme, so I also deleted my openSUSE partitions and started over. Whatever happened before must have been a fluke. The dongle is apparently working correctly now. I've still got to get to KDE or Mate to actually check it out, but dmesg now shows the driver is loaded and registered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12