Thread: Why Is Netbeans Not In The Repositories?

Default Why Is Netbeans Not In The Repositories?

Hi folks. I just tried to install Netbeans through YaST And found that a few components of Netbeans are in the repositories, but the actual IDE itself is not. The Apache foundation took stewardship of Netbeans a while ago, didn't it? Has some licensing change during the transition to the Apache foundation meant that Netbeans can't be included in the repositories? Henk said that I should just wait for the Packman and Nvidia repositories to be added to 15.2 so that I can install the video codecs and my GPU driver. Is it likely that Netbeans will be in the Packman repositories for similar reasons that the video codecs are, or should I be looking to download, install and keep it up-to-date manually?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Is Netbeans Not In The Repositories?

Here's another means to an end...
    https://snapcraft.io/install/netbeans/opensuse
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Here's another means to an end...
    https://snapcraft.io/install/netbeans/opensuse
    Hm?

Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> netbeans
    snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should be. Refusing to continue to avoid permission escalation attacks: Operation not permitted
    karl@erlangen:~>
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Hi folks. I just tried to install Netbeans through YaST And found that a few components of Netbeans are in the repositories, but the actual IDE itself is not. The Apache foundation took stewardship of Netbeans a while ago, didn't it? Has some licensing change during the transition to the Apache foundation meant that Netbeans can't be included in the repositories? Henk said that I should just wait for the Packman and Nvidia repositories to be added to 15.2 so that I can install the video codecs and my GPU driver. Is it likely that Netbeans will be in the Packman repositories for similar reasons that the video codecs are, or should I be looking to download, install and keep it up-to-date manually?
    For me, IDE like NetBeans or Eclipse is always better to install manually, not via package manager. And not only on openSUSE, but almost on all distros.