Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After new install no /etc/resolv.conf

Default After new install no /etc/resolv.conf

After the new install yesterday of Leap15.2 I had no internet connection. IP addresses were there and I could ping the router but the nslookup command did not come up with a result. I found no file /etc/resolv.conf file. After writing this file manually the internet IP addresses were resolved and the internet was there. Today after booting up the internet again was not there and no /etc/resolv.conf file. Again I wrote a new file with the DNS servers and the internet was there. What is going on? Do I have to write every day a new /etc/resolv.conf file to go to the internet or how does the computer with LEap15.2 resolve the IP addresses?

Default Re: After new install no /etc/resolv.conf

Would help if you described whether you are using Wicked or NetworkManager.

That being said, on 15.2 netconfig handles the resolv.conf, yp.conf etc.

sudo netconfig update -f should update the symlink to properly reflect the new setup. /etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to /var/run/netconfig/resolv.conf
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net

Thank you Miuku. Yes I should have said running KDE and Network Manager. Thank you for your reply - I ran netconfig update -f as root and now the l for link is in front of /etc/resolv.conf when checking with ls -l . I hope this solves the problem.

OK, I have been away and since I am back I have updated 4 computers to Leap15.2. Two computers (one laptop and one desktop) lost their /etc/resolv.conf file and consequently could not get to the internet - the other two computers are fine. The command (as root) "netconfig update -f" does not make any difference. After a reboot the resolv.conf file is gone again and the internet not available. How can I make sure the file resolv.conf stays? Is there another way to resolve the IP addresses now? How can I solve this on these two computers permanently?

Blog Entries

On newer systems, "/etc/resolv.conf" should be a symbolic link to the real "resolv.conf" which is in a tmpfs file system (exists only in ram/swap). The "netconfig update -f" is supposed to create the symbolic link if not already there, and create the file as needed. But if you are look via a rescue mount, the file won't be there but the symbolic link should be there.

If I recall, handling "/etc/resolv.conf" this way was already working in Leap 15.1.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Thank you, nrickert, for your reply. Unfortunately it does not help me. When booting up the IP addresses are not resolved because there is no /etc/resolv.conf file and when I write this file it works again. How can I fix this that the computer knows the DNS servers? I use openDNS and I must be able to enter them somewhere. I don't know what a rescue mount is either. I use Linux for 20 years but I am no IT person and up to now I could just create my own resolv.conf file (including changing the /etc/sysconfig/network/config file to "NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''"). This worked on all our 5 computers (4 Leap and 1 Tumbleweed) which are for private use and for our little business. Now suddenly after the update to 15.2 2 computers loose the resolv.conf file after reboot. I have even entered the DNS server's IP addresses in /etc/sysconfig/network/config in "NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS=208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 2620:0:ccc::2 2620:0:ccd::2" but that doesn't help either. What next?

Oops, wrong tab.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1,TW,15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

Using NETCONFIG settings is appropriate. But I would suggest doing that with
    Yast --> System --> Network Settings
    That's the best way of getting the format right.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

YAST does not work with NetworkManager. If I use wicked to enter it and switch back to NetworkManager will YAST then not ignore it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fuerstu View Post
    YAST does not work with NetworkManager. If I use wicked to enter it and switch back to NetworkManager will YAST then not ignore it?
    Show us
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/resolv.conf
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast