Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SuSE on the desktop; elevator=noop since kernel 5 and kernel-default on desktops; could be better?

Thumbs up Re: SuSE on the desktop; elevator=noop since kernel 5 and kernel-default on desktops; could be bette

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You can do that with openSUSE... SUSE Studio Express or use kiwi locally to create your own...
    Thanks I'll take a look sometime. I was actually thinking about doing something with AutoYaST as well.

Default Re: SuSE on the desktop; elevator=noop since kernel 5 and kernel-default on desktops; could be bette

Quote Originally Posted by allaynawilson View Post
    Just checked and these are definitely all of the old (deprecated) single queue I/O schedulers that aren't available anymore as of kernel v5:

FYI I am running on OpenSuSE 15.2.
    Not sure what you are really looking for, but those are the global I/O schedulers. If you have, for instance, an SSD where mq schedulers make sense you should already have a mq scheduler by default.
    For instance here on Leap 15.2:
    Code:
    beta_bruno@LT_B:~> cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
    [mq-deadline] kyber bfq none
    beta_bruno@LT_B:~>
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

Blog Entries

Default Re: SuSE on the desktop; elevator=noop since kernel 5 and kernel-default on desktops; could be bette

Just checked and these are definitely all of the old (deprecated) single queue I/O schedulers that aren't available anymore as of kernel v5:

FYI I am running on OpenSuSE 15.2.
    More precisely the deprecation of I/O schedulers happened as of kernel 5.3 so it looks like the new openSUSE 15.2 just crossed the line (kernel 5.3.18...).
    Recommend submitting a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org.

In any case, if the system is running a very fast drive (NVME or SSD), it appears that the current "unconfigured" YaST setting is just fine and won't make a noticeable difference except possibly create overhead if set. If the drive is an HDD, then something should be set.

If running an SSD or NVME drive, I see some recommendations to actually not specify a scheler... maybe I'll try that...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Thanks I'll take a look sometime. I was actually thinking about doing something with AutoYaST as well.
    Another approach is to just create a post-installation script.
    Would probably be more appropriate if you're a tiny shop.
    If you're supporting tens or hundreds of similarly configured machines, then YMMV.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I have just checked
    Code:
    cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
    and I am running mq-deadline
    Code:
    [mq-deadline] kyber bfq none
    now.

Bug 1163498 reports that the YaST scheduler is out-of-date; so this will presumably be fixed some time soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12