Quote Originally Posted by lwilgrant View Post
1) Despite the displays from "lsblk" that I shared, I'm having trouble conceptualizing the layout of how my computer is setup. Are you saying that there is a 256 gb drive (the linux /home partition and windows bits) which is partitioned from the original 1 tb, or that this is a distinct drive onto which the linux /home partitions etc. has been placed?
Please realise that, in a UNIX® / Linux / Mac OS «is a certified UNIX®» system “everything is a file”.
A *NIX user never “sees” a disk – only directories …

“fdisk -l” indicates that, you have a “Samsung MZVLW256HEHP-000H1” drive and a “Toshiba DT01ACA1” drive – the Samsung drive is a 256 GB device and, the Toshiba drive is a 1 TB device.

Your “/home” is on the Samsung drive and, your system “/” partition is on the Toshiba drive.

Quote Originally Posted by lwilgrant View Post
2) As a follow up^, I think you mean the latter. In this case, why would my colleague not have put the linux /home directory onto the main linux partition from the 1 tb? Is it generally done this way so that I could theoretically have another flavor of linux on the 1 tb partition or am I sounding ridiculous?
It doesn't really matter what your colleague did; simply create a user directory (owner “root”; group “root”) under the “/” system partition on the Toshiba drive; create a further user directory for your user in the newly created directory – you'll need to use the user “root” to achieve this – change the ownership of your newly created directory to your login user and, the group to “users”.

If you then look at the “/” system directory, you'll see two directories “/home” and “/homexxx”, both with the owner “root” and the group “root”.

Within both these “user home” directories there can be user directories named «your username», both with the owner «your username» and the group “users”.

*NIX understand links, perfectly – forget everything that you believed you knew about links – learn the *NIX variant – it's perfect …

• You can create a symbolic link named “LotsOfDiskSpace” pointing to /homexxx/«your username» – you can then seamlessly and transparently use this space from your normal login directory, as if it were within the the partition where your user login is located, except that, it's somewhere else …

Everything is a file”.