Thread: How is Nvidia Prime render offload support on OpenSUSE 15.2?

Default How is Nvidia Prime render offload support on OpenSUSE 15.2?

I want to install OpenSUSE on my Dell XPS 9570 which has a dedicated Nvidia GPU. I tried installing the RC for 15.2 a week ago as suse-prime is supposed to have support for Prime render offloading in this version. I noticed that the Nvidia repository isn't in the list of community repos in YaST, but that might not be relevant. Either way, following https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_SUSE_Prime lead me to dependency issues on install and got me to a black screen after a reboot. Has anyone tried doing this themselves? If so, what did you do to get this working?

Default Re: How is Nvidia Prime render offload support on OpenSUSE 15.2?

Hi and welcome to the Forums!
    Please note that Leap 15.2 is going to be officially released tomorrow, so an install done a week ago might not have all the right bits in their place. I notice that the Nvidia repo for 15.2 has been refreshed yesterday, so maybe try to update via "zypper dup" tomorrow in the evening and you might have better chances.
    That said, a default install of Leap should work out of the box, even if without suse-prime and with the open source drivers you are unlikely to use the discrete GPU to its full potential; in a default install just try to pre-pend "DRI_PRIME=1" to an app of your choice, as in:
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 firefox
    to see if the basic setup is working or there are specific quirks for your (rather bleeding edge) hardware.
    suse-prime should work, although I have not yet checked myself for 15.2.
    A black screen on reboot might be due to the fact that suse-prime only boots correctly in "intel mode" AFAIK, so maybe you have to boot to a terminal login (just append "3" without quotes to the boot command line), issue "prime-select intel" and reboot.
    If you face unusual dependency problems or are still unable to have suse-prime working please ask in the Hardware subforum describing exactly what you witness with enough detail for the experts here to understand what is going on.
    BTW the Nvidia repo is run by Nvidia itself, so it is not a "community" repo, but that doesn't matter.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

Default Re: How is Nvidia Prime render offload support on OpenSUSE 15.2?

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Forums!
    Please note that Leap 15.2 is going to be officially released tomorrow, so an install done a week ago might not have all the right bits in their place. I notice that the Nvidia repo for 15.2 has been refreshed yesterday, so maybe try to update via "zypper dup" tomorrow in the evening and you might have better chances.
    That said, a default install of Leap should work out of the box, even if without suse-prime and with the open source drivers you are unlikely to use the discrete GPU to its full potential; in a default install just try to pre-pend "DRI_PRIME=1" to an app of your choice, as in:
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 firefox
    to see if the basic setup is working or there are specific quirks for your (rather bleeding edge) hardware.
    suse-prime should work, although I have not yet checked myself for 15.2.
    A black screen on reboot might be due to the fact that suse-prime only boots correctly in "intel mode" AFAIK, so maybe you have to boot to a terminal login (just append "3" without quotes to the boot command line), issue "prime-select intel" and reboot.
    If you face unusual dependency problems or are still unable to have suse-prime working please ask in the Hardware subforum describing exactly what you witness with enough detail for the experts here to understand what is going on.
    BTW the Nvidia repo is run by Nvidia itself, so it is not a "community" repo, but that doesn't matter.
    Thanks a lot for the help! Although I still know I pretty much need the proprietary driver since my laptop has issues with Nouveau and, even then, the performance is what you'd expect from a driver with, unfortunately, no support from the vendor.

As for the community repo thing, it was there in 15.2 but maybe the list hasn't been finalized since they only have the "untested updates" source in the list. But, as you said, that doesn't really matter much.

Thanks again, I'll come back later tomorrow and post the issues I have (if any).