Thread: smb4k no longer works

Default smb4k no longer works

Hi!

Until recently smb4k on an up-to-date TW installation from repo https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/ used to work: start the software, get the smb4k window, sync files.

Now, if I start smb4k, either by clicking on it or starting in a terminal, I can see the software in top, but no window, no comment in the terminal.

It doesn't work in KDE Plasma.

To get my files synced, I logged out and startet IceWM, there everything works as expected. So something in KDE Plasma is an error.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Regards
    Alexander

Default Re: smb4k no longer works

I use smb4k and it does start just fine on my TW/KDE Plasma system, there are some issues with it in that network neighbourhood does not work but that has been the case for some time. My smb4k is 3.0.6. I can mount my windows 7 system but not my NAS using smb4k because the NAS runs V1 and Linux now only supports V2 up. I am able to unmount anything with smb4k even my NAS after being mounted manually.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cookie170 View Post
    Now, if I start smb4k, either by clicking on it or starting in a terminal, I can see the software in top, but no window, no comment in the terminal.

It doesn't work in KDE Plasma.
    Are you sure that it's not just minimized to the system tray?

There was a bug that it didn't reliably remember the state on exit, but that was fixed in the last update.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-Jun-2020 at 06:49.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Are you sure that it's not just minimized to the system tray?

There was a bug that it didn't reliably remember the state on exit, but that was fixed in the last update.
    You made my day, thank you!

You are right: The symbol isn't even shown in the system tray, but in the line of »hidden« symbols and only visible, if you click on the black triangle.

I'm very relieved. I need smb4k and synkron to sync about 50 folders from different places on a server with my notebook. Without smb4k I had to set up unison or some alternative solution, always a difficult thing, because the server runs microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    because the NAS runs V1 and Linux now only supports V2 up
    Linux does still support V1, but it's disabled by default.

It might help to set "client max protocol = NT1" in smb.conf as explained in https://sourceforge.net/p/smb4k/blog...-300-released/ .
    For mounting (which uses the kernel module that needs to be passed an additional parameter to allow v1 in current kernels), there are corresponding options in smb4k's settings.

I can browse and mount the shares on my router (which only supports SMBv1) just fine using smb4k, after adjusting smb4k's settings (i.e. ticking "SMB protocol version" in Mount->Advanced Mount Settings, and switching the protocol version to 1.0), even without changing smb.conf.

I'm on Leap 15.1 though, not Tumbleweed.
    (but I do have samba > 4.7, 4.9.5+git.317.6d82fb3918b to be exact)