Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie Trying Out Linux

Default Re: Newbie Trying Out Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Back in the 2000s, codecs were a big thing.
    Even before the 2000s, codecs were important – especially in telecommunications – terrestrial digital telephony and, each and every digital mobile telephony technology, relies on codecs …

With respect to personal computing, handling audio and video lead to codecs becoming a really big thing – which leads to the issues around patents and licensing – which, for the telecommunications world, is perfectly normal and expected …

Default Re: Newbie Trying Out Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    I am using KDE as well, though not entirely sure which version it is. Since you mentioned "wicked", do you know of a way to display an icon at the bottom right just like NetworkManager?
    IME network manager is essential if you need to switch networks. If not, as is usually the case with desktops with wired Ethernet, I use wicked, as most network manager functionality is useless, and even have given me trouble when it was first introduced (It's OK now, AFAIK).

Regarding monitoring the network, I strongly recommend knemo, that you find in the standard repos. It's systray icon will show up/download momentary activity, and can be personalized to show a tiny 2-bar graph. Also, there a a number of options when you right-click it, including an area graph showing up/down activity for a period of time, similar to what you see in ksysguard, but better since the ksysguard graphics only start the moment you open it.

Regarding monitoring in general, another widget I use in the taskbar is the system monitor in compact mode and personalized colors. Besides constantly showing CPU, memory and swap usage (same info as ksysguard), clicking it opens ksysguard itself.

Those are great and unobtrusive monitoring tools I like very much and install in all my KDE desktops. You may want to give them a try.

Oh, and welcome! I'm sure you'll appreciate the huge flexibility and tools of openSUSE/KDE. I've been using it since version 10 (2005, I think), tried a lot of distros and desktops but always come back to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123