Thread: Newbie Leap 15.1 Installation - How to get WiFi to work?

Question Newbie Leap 15.1 Installation - How to get WiFi to work?

Hi all, since there is no newbie forum, I will seek help here.

I am a complete newbie to Linux and decided to try openSUSE after having just installed Manjaro. But I am now faced with the issue of not having a working WiFi, or at least I don't know how to make it work.

I am using KDE and noticed that there is no WiFi option at the bottom right of the task bar. How do I enable the WiFi? I have checked on YAST and here's the picture of it. The hardware is detected:

It even says Drivers Active: Yes. Any thoughts please?

Additional Background Info
    I am currently a Windows 10 user and am thinking of giving Linux a (another) try. It has been something like 12 years since I last dabbled with Linux (Ubuntu) then. Back then, I just played around with it as a second OS and got nothing meaningful done on it. My productivity OS has always been Windows, just like most of the PC users out there. Recently, my HDD died on me on my Dell XPS 8910. I have a C Drive (256 GB SSD) and a D Drive (2TB HDD) - the D Drive failed on me and I lost quite a bit there (I have also sent it for professional recovery). I have gotten myself a brand new 512GB SSD and have made a clean install of Windows 10, and thought to myself, why not try Linux. Perhaps it has matured quite a bit since the last decade.

I did some research around and have installed Manjaro, which worked well for a basic start-up. I am looking to set up a home server, possibly in the near future and thus is trying out openSUSE. Both of these Linux distros are installed on my existing 256GB SSD.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie Leap 15.2 Installation - How to get WiFi to work?

Welcome to openSUSE Forums. It is likely that wicked (typical desktop network management framework) is in use currently, and if this is the case, the network is configured via YaST > System > Network Settings. For KDE, Network Manager offers a convenient system tray widget for managing network connectivity instead, and this may be what you're expecting. It isn't hard to change from wicked to NM (or vice versa) - you can do that via the YaST utility already mentioned. Check the 'Global Options' tab and follow the prompts given. The following openSUSE references should help guide you through this process

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...netcard-global

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ce/cha-nm.html
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Also a welcome from me.

It is of course your choice, but when you say you are new with Linux, then why do you take a not yet released version to get experience with openSUSE?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Welcome to openSUSE Forums. It is likely that wicked (typical desktop network management framework) is in use currently, and if this is the case, the network is configured via YaST > System > Network Settings. For KDE, Network Manager offers a convenient system tray widget for managing network connectivity instead, and this may be what you're expecting. It isn't hard to change from wicked to NM (or vice versa) - you can do that via the YaST utility already mentioned. Check the 'Global Options' tab and follow the prompts given. The following openSUSE references should help guide you through this process

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...netcard-global

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ce/cha-nm.html

Oh yes, thanks. That saved my life. Haven't done network diving for a long time. When I installed Manjaro, it just worked without configuration, but I understand this is a different distro so am not complaining about it. I just wished that there is a splash screen when I first start up openSUSE to tell me that I need to configure network in a different place than the usual Network Manager. Yast feels very much like the Windows XP in early 2000s, only that it has more stuff. I actually kind of like it, Windows 10 seems to have taken a step backwards by playing hide and seek with settings.

Thanks for your quick response. One more thing, how do I know if I am connected to Internet if I am using Wicked? Anyway to enable a small icon at the taskbar?

A side feedback to developers would be to have something like a Manjaro Hello at the start as a welcome of sorts. That will help eased things a bit, especially for those jumping in from Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Also a welcome from me.

It is of course your choice, but when you say you are new with Linux, then why do you take a not yet released version to get experience with openSUSE?
    LOL, it was a typo. I thought I was on 15.2 but I am actually on 15.1. It is definitely not my intention to try something funky here. I'm just looking for a potential replacement for Windows 10 due to the incessant reboots it does without my permission which resulted in me losing my work multiple times.

Now I will be off to download some softwares that I usually use. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    LOL, it was a typo. I thought I was on 15.2 but I am actually on 15.1. It is definitely not my intention to try something funky here. I'm just looking for a potential replacement for Windows 10 due to the incessant reboots it does without my permission which resulted in me losing my work multiple times.

Now I will be off to download some softwares that I usually use. Thanks.
    I’ll correct the prefix for you.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5