Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Anyway. Thanks to Curtis and all of you for your answers.
    Forgive my rant, but it came from the heart ;o)
    I configured the akonadi to use postgresql 11, which seems to be much more stable and quicker that the mysql on 15.0, which was a real pain in...
    So far, it runs smoothly..... Until the next KDE special repos updates.
    Let's cross fingers.
    Do they program an update for kmail/akonadi mess on stable repo, meanwhile , or are we on the loose ?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,370

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    And i had to spend a big big long long day to sort again __all__ the tens of thousands of emails to tell the system what was already read and what was not.
    Yes, but, within KMail, select a top-level folder – within the “Folder” menu item there's “Mark all messages in this folder and all sub-folders as being read” – take a long coffee break – it may pay to 1st “update this folder and all it's sub-folders” …
    And, that's why I'm considering “another way to archive older e-Mails” …
    • Yes, we all like to preserve e-Mails – for business reasons – for personal reasons – for sentimental reasons …

    What I'm in the middle of doing is, to use KMail's archive tool to move everything that's more than 2 years old off to compressed files on a disk which isn't used for the user's home directory – from there they are copied to a NAS archive – at least 2 copies held plus possibly RAID …
    • Then, KMail only has the current year plus the previous year (or 2) in it's directories …

    For Kalendar the scheme may well hold the current year plus the previous 3 or 4 years …
    Ditto, Journal and Notes …
    News feeds – Akregator – there's also an archive mechanism which I haven't yet bothered to use but, that's next on the To-Do list …

  3. #33

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Thanks for your answer Karl. Yes, it looks like tests are not run on systems with tens of thousands of emails, like mine, or yours ;o)
    Right, the automatic tests in openSUSE are indeed not run with tens of thousands of mails.

    There certainly are people that use kmail with that many mails (e.g. me).
    But as already explained, the problem is that everything runs fine with the latest Qt, the problem only occurs with 5.12 LTS in Leap 15.2.

    And nobody reported it in the Leap 15.2 beta phase either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Ok . So you mean that i am going for another round of russian mountains ?
    No, after the beta, only bugfixes are allowed.

    And you experienced one(!) specific bug/crash in the beta (that you normally wouldn't even notice if you didn't want to setup a new POP3 account or change an existing one) that was fixed within days, I wouldn't call that a disaster really (considering that it was a beta).

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Do they program an update for kmail/akonadi mess on stable repo, meanwhile , or are we on the loose ?
    If a solution can be found, an update will be released of course.

    It's not easy though, as already explained a couple of times.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 07-Aug-2020 at 02:27.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,912
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Thanks for your answer Karl. Yes, it looks like tests are not run on systems with tens of thousands of emails, like mine, or yours ;o)
    In recent years I infrequently encounter one problem consistently. Trouble starts after weeks of normal operation with duplicate messages being generated in some folders. Using Menu > Folder > Remove Duplicate Messages won't help. Restarting akonadi won't help. akonadiconsole would reveal akonadi_indexing_agent is looping forever. It reports again and again indexing the same folder, but fails to report: "Ready". Sometimes restarting the agent terminates the loop, sometimes it doesn't. Deleting the existing agent and creating a new one does help or it doesn't.

    When I found out the looping updates files below ~/.local/share/baloo/ I deleted the cruft accumulated in the folder entirely and created new versions of the agents affected by the deletion. Currently I watch for more fun, but none occurred so far.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Yes, but, within KMail, select a top-level folder – within the “Folder” menu item there's “Mark all messages in this folder and all sub-folders as being read” – take a long coffee break – it may pay to 1st “update this folder and all it's sub-folders” …
    And, that's why I'm considering “another way to archive older e-Mails” …
    Thanks again, Curtis, but : what if while migrating from a system to the other, we want to keep some emails "unread" in any folders for many very good reasons, like the work is in progress and we just update the kmail/akonadi without any effect on the production. Any production software should not change the work in progress during updates, otherwise users will avoid updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post

    • Yes, we all like to preserve e-Mails – for business reasons – for personal reasons – for sentimental reasons …

    What I'm in the middle of doing is, to use KMail's archive tool to move everything that's more than 2 years old off to compressed files on a disk which isn't used for the user's home directory – from there they are copied to a NAS archive – at least 2 copies held plus possibly RAID …
    • Then, KMail only has the current year plus the previous year (or 2) in it's directories …

    For Kalendar the scheme may well hold the current year plus the previous 3 or 4 years …
    Ditto, Journal and Notes …
    News feeds – Akregator – there's also an archive mechanism which I haven't yet bothered to use but, that's next on the To-Do list …
    Many of us need frequently to access emails written in 2003 (or any other date), for business reasons, for law reasons, for sentimental reasons, and so on.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Right, the automatic tests in openSUSE are indeed not run with tens of thousands of mails.

    There certainly are people that use kmail with that many mails (e.g. me).
    But as already explained, the problem is that everything runs fine with the latest Qt, the problem only occurs with 5.12 LTS in Leap 15.2.

    And nobody reported it in the Leap 15.2 beta phase either.
    Until 2005, i had time to test betas and unstable release , and i would love to have that time again. Thanks, anyway.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    In recent years I infrequently encounter one problem consistently. Trouble starts after weeks of normal operation with duplicate messages being generated in some folders. Using Menu > Folder > Remove Duplicate Messages won't help. Restarting akonadi won't help. akonadiconsole would reveal akonadi_indexing_agent is looping forever. It reports again and again indexing the same folder, but fails to report: "Ready". Sometimes restarting the agent terminates the loop, sometimes it doesn't. Deleting the existing agent and creating a new one does help or it doesn't.

    When I found out the looping updates files below ~/.local/share/baloo/ I deleted the cruft accumulated in the folder entirely and created new versions of the agents affected by the deletion. Currently I watch for more fun, but none occurred so far.
    I thank you a lot, for hunting and solving such bugs.
    This morning i couldn't access to folders for some unknown reasons and i did stop kontact/kmail and restarted akonadi with akonadictl restart command, to be able to read and sort emails.

    No loops until now. I think that postgres is better than mysql, but maybe future will make me lie....

    Hope not.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,370

    Talking Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Many of us need frequently to access emails written in 2003 (or any other date), for business reasons, for law reasons, for sentimental reasons, and so on.
    Then think carefully about “holding everything” in your e-Mail system – some e-Mail folders may need to hold 10 years of e-Mail traffic for frequent access but, all folders?
    • Yes, I know, an e-Mail system is simply a directory structure containing incoming and outgoing e-Mails, possibly supported by a database and, possibly, integrated into other Information Management items such as appointments, tasks and journals.
    • And, if the access needed to 10 year old or, 20 year old, e-Mails is infrequent then, consider archiving those to a compressed file and restore them only on an “as needed” basis.
    • Is there, possibly, from a software engineering view, an architectural or design oversight in Akonadi?

    – Please note that, I do not mean an implementation error …

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •