Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes, but you have to upgrade *all* KDE packages as well, same as in previous versions.
    (Actually it has 5.15.0 meanwhile, not 5.14 anymore )

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories

Well, new versions bring new features and can introduce new bugs. Also the packages are more or less untested (at least before they get submitted to Tumbleweed).
    But all in all it should be fine, as long as you do a full switch and not "forget" to update some packages.
    I just tested this solution. And it looks like kmail/akonadi is a lot more responsive, now.
    But....
    How stable is this solution ?
    Will there be unstable updates from this repo soon ?
    I usually stay on the official and stable repos and i don't want to risk any unstability. So is there a risk of a buggy update soon ?

And will there be a stable update for qt/kde on the official repo , soon ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Big RAM isn't a waste of money, but serves as an ultra fast disk. When performing folder operations kmail sometimes creates local copies of the mail termed "external files" and deletes them again when cleaning the cache. The notebook with the i5-8250U has one 8 GiB DDR4 and a 256 GB nvme drive. That works well too as does the i3-4130 / 2x8GiB DDR3 / 250 GB SSD 850 EVO.
    Thanks for the advice. No budget for to replace my 2012 latop, now. My only other choice to handle my mails is to stay with 15.0 and it's not updated anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    How can i know it is solved ?
    By following the openSUSE bug report I mentioned

I just tested this solution. And it looks like kmail/akonadi is a lot more responsive, now.
    But....
    How stable is this solution ?
    Will there be unstable updates from this repo soon ?
    Soon?
    It already has 20.08 *beta* since a week.

But updates follow soon, RC is to be released tomorrow and 20.08.0 (final) in two weeks.

And in case that major problems are noticed, patches to fix them will be added as soon as possible all the time.

And will there be a stable update for qt/kde on the official repo , soon ?
    That probably depends on how you define "soon".

But I can only repeat myself here:
    The problem is that nobody knows what the fix actually is so far.
    Just some affected users reported that the problem seems to be gone after updating to Qt 5.14(.2, IIRC).

If somebody finds out what exactly the fix is, it *might* be possible to backport it (or not, if the changes are too intrusive, rely on other changes, ...).

My guess: it's not a simple bug in Qt < 5.14, but actually caused by some change in KDEPIM itself that happens to work fine on newer Qt releases, but not so much on older ones.

i am really upset now. I have been using kmail for about 18 years and opensuse for 14 years and i spent __one__ __month__ trying to migrate from 15.0 to 15.2 and totally blocked by this kmail/akonadi mess. It's really frustrating.
    And, now a new bug appeared : trying to configure kmail email account, the whole kontact fails and proposes to restart the app...
    Do people test the programs before they publish it ?
    This kde repo you told me about, it proposes to update again to a new version .... But if it as unstable as this one , when will it stop ?
    There was a time when this system was reliable, but it's not anymore...

Blog Entries

Do people test the programs before they publish it?
    To my experience tests are run. However these tests are done on a pristine system. Stale files can break new versions. You my save your home folder, create a new one and copy the payload only (e.g. .local/share/local-mail/) to the new home.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

And, now a new bug appeared : trying to configure kmail email account, the whole kontact fails and proposes to restart the app...
    You mean it crashes when you (re)configure a POP3 account?
    I noticed this a couple of days ago (on Thursday) myself, but it is actually fixed already in 20.07.90.

So please update.

Do people test the programs before they publish it ?
    No, the additional repos are *not* tested before they are published, as already mentioned.
    And currently they contain a beta version (release candidate meanwhile), which is actually released to get more testing before the final release.

This kde repo you told me about, it proposes to update again to a new version .... But if it as unstable as this one , when will it stop ?
    Yes, the new version is the 20.08 release candidate that fixes some bugs that were found in the beta.
    And 20.08.0 final is going to be released next week. Then you'll get the usual rounds of bugfix updates (one per month): 20.08.1, 20.08.2, 20.08.3

Question Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

i am really upset now. I have been using kmail for about 18 years and opensuse for 14 years and i spent __one__ __month__ trying to migrate from 15.0 to 15.2 and totally blocked by this kmail/akonadi mess.
    Within those 18 years, have you ever completely archived all the e-Mail directories in KMail/Kontact and, all your appointments and tasks and, all your contacts and, all your Journal entries and Notes and, your Kontact settings and then, deleted everything in the “~/.local/share/” Akonadi directory structure and then, restarted Kontact?
    • What happens if, you were to setup a new user, setup Kontact within that new user's environment and then, import into that new user's Kontact your e-Mail, appointments and tasks, contacts, Journal entries and Notes?

** The Akregator News feeds should reinitialise by them selves …

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    To my experience tests are run. However these tests are done on a pristine system. Stale files can break new versions. You my save your home folder, create a new one and copy the payload only (e.g. .local/share/local-mail/) to the new home.
    Thanks for your answer Karl. Yes, it looks like tests are not run on systems with tens of thousands of emails, like mine, or yours ;o)

You mean it crashes when you (re)configure a POP3 account?
    I noticed this a couple of days ago (on Thursday) myself, but it is actually fixed already in 20.07.90.
    So please update.
    Thank you Wolfi. That's what i did, and i eventually have something like a stable system, so far.
    No, the additional repos are *not* tested before they are published, as already mentioned.
    And currently they contain a beta version (release candidate meanwhile), which is actually released to get more testing before the final release.
    I obviously experienced it and really, i wish the opensuse normal repos were better so that i don't have to go into so many troubles.....
    Yes, the new version is the 20.08 release candidate that fixes some bugs that were found in the beta.
    And 20.08.0 final is going to be released next week. Then you'll get the usual rounds of bugfix updates (one per month): 20.08.1, 20.08.2, 20.08.3
    Ok . So you mean that i am going for another round of russian mountains ?
    You know what, i used to fly planes when i was younger, but i grew older now. I like some smooth air....

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Within those 18 years, have you ever completely archived all the e-Mail directories in KMail/Kontact and, all your appointments and tasks and, all your contacts and, all your Journal entries and Notes and, your Kontact settings and then, deleted everything in the “~/.local/share/” Akonadi directory structure and then, restarted Kontact?
    • What happens if, you were to setup a new user, setup Kontact within that new user's environment and then, import into that new user's Kontact your e-Mail, appointments and tasks, contacts, Journal entries and Notes?

** The Akregator News feeds should reinitialise by them selves …
    Good evening Curtis.
    Yes i did that once.
    And i had to spend a big big long long day to sort again __all__ the tens of thousands of emails to tell the system what was already read and what was not.
    Never again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast