Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

  1. #11

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Btw, since last week there's also an openSUSE bugreport, if you want to follow it:
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1173759

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Is this bug hapening to every kmail installed on 15.2 ?

    Because, like many ohters, i am about to install 15.2, and if this bug isn't solved, we will not move to 15.2 .

  3. #13

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Is this bug hapening to every kmail installed on 15.2 ?
    I don't know.

    Personally I'm using the additional KDE repos to always get the latest versions, since a looong time.

    If you are worried about this bug, it probably would be better to wait with the upgrade though.
    (at least if you are not willing to add/use the additional KDE repos too, with them the problem should not occur)

  4. #14

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Thanks for all your advice, Wolfi. It is most helpful as always.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Personally I'm using the additional KDE repos to always get the latest versions, since a looong time.
    Which kde repos ?

    I
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    f you are worried about this bug, it probably would be better to wait with the upgrade though.
    (at least if you are not willing to add/use the additional KDE repos too, with them the problem should not occur)
    How can i know it is solved ?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,082
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Hi


    Which kde repos ?
    Read the following openSUSE wiki page....

    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    I am currently trying the postgres 11 and i have very frequent crashes during the database building. So it would mean that it does not depend on the database program but on kde/qt .
    Has anyone a better info about that ?
    Who managed to have a correctly runing kmail/akonadi with a normal quantity of email, more than 10,000 (i have about 100,000) ?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,914
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    I am currently trying the postgres 11 and i have very frequent crashes during the database building. So it would mean that it does not depend on the database program but on kde/qt .
    Has anyone a better info about that ?
    Who managed to have a correctly runing kmail/akonadi with a normal quantity of email, more than 10,000 (i have about 100,000) ?
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> find .local/share/local-mail/ -type f|wc
      50822   50822 4293750
    karl@erlangen:~>
    kmail runs here with default configuration. It easily deals with the 50.000 files. Search is really fast. Cpu load is negligible. You are beating the wrong horse.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Thank you for your answer, Karl.
    So, you have the default opensuse 15.2 kmail runing without problems and with a large amount of mails. Do you ?
    Which db manager do you use ?

    I was wondering why akonadi/kmail is so slow.
    So if it's not due to big amount of mails (i have folders with more than 10,000 mails), where does this comes from ?
    And why do some users (like bearymore and me) have this problems ? And some (like Karl) don't ?
    I did the akonadictl fsck, akonadictl vacuum and akonadictl restart method. No success.
    I also checked if my old 2012 latop was the problem, but i use a recent ssd inside and i checked that the 4GB RAM is not fully used by the system.
    Is this due to KDE/QT , really ? So why opensuse doesn't officially update kde/qt ?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,914
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kmail slow to read folders after update to 15.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    Thank you for your answer, Karl.
    So, you have the default opensuse 15.2 kmail runing without problems and with a large amount of mails. Do you ?
    Which db manager do you use ?

    I was wondering why akonadi/kmail is so slow.
    So if it's not due to big amount of mails (i have folders with more than 10,000 mails), where does this comes from ?
    And why do some users (like bearymore and me) have this problems ? And some (like Karl) don't ?
    I did the akonadictl fsck, akonadictl vacuum and akonadictl restart method. No success.
    I also checked if my old 2012 latop was the problem, but i use a recent ssd inside and i checked that the 4GB RAM is not fully used by the system.
    Is this due to KDE/QT , really ? So why opensuse doesn't officially update kde/qt ?
    RAM is essential, fast SSDs too:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # inxi -zFmxx
    System:    Kernel: 5.7.9-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.1 Console: tty 2 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM 
               Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20200727 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: Z170 Pro4S serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: P3.50 date: 06/23/2016 
    Memory:    RAM: total: 31.05 GiB used: 2.64 GiB (8.5%) 
               Array-1: capacity: 64 GiB slots: 4 EC: None max module size: 16 GiB note: est. 
               Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed 
               Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2133 MT/s type: DDR4 manufacturer: 1315 part-no: CT16G4DFD8213.C16FBD 
               Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed 
               Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2133 MT/s type: DDR4 manufacturer: 1315 part-no: CT16G4DFD8213.C16FBD 
    CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Skylake-S rev: 3 L1 cache: 256 KiB 
               L2 cache: 8192 KiB L3 cache: 8192 KiB 
               flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 63999 
               Speed: 1150 MHz min/max: 800/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4201 2: 4200 3: 4201 4: 4203 5: 4200 6: 4200 7: 4200 
               8: 4201 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: ASRock driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:1912 
               Display: server: X.Org 1.20.8 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
               resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.4 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: Intel 100 Series/C230 Series Family HD Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
               bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:a170 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.9-1-default 
    Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: ASRock driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus ID: 00:1f.6 
               chip ID: 8086:15b8 
               IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
               Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k v: kernel port: f040 bus ID: 03:00.0 
               chip ID: 168c:002e 
               IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 6.38 TiB used: 1.50 TiB (23.5%) 
               ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 950 PRO 512GB size: 476.94 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 
               serial: <filter> temp: 37 C 
               ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD40EZRX-22SPEB0 size: 3.64 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
               ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
               ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Crucial model: CT2000BX500SSD1 size: 1.82 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 59.45 GiB used: 26.56 GiB (44.7%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdb5 
               ID-2: /home size: 406.34 GiB used: 267.07 GiB (65.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3 
               ID-3: /opt size: 59.45 GiB used: 26.56 GiB (44.7%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdb5 
               ID-4: /tmp size: 59.45 GiB used: 26.56 GiB (44.7%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdb5 
               ID-5: /var size: 59.45 GiB used: 26.56 GiB (44.7%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdb5 
    Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 16.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/sdb8 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0 C mobo: 31.0 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 0 fan-2: 1203 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0 fan-6: 0 
               Voltages: 12v: N/A 5v: N/A 3.3v: 3.34 vbat: 3.12 
    Info:      Processes: 285 Uptime: 4h 24m Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 target: graphical.target Compilers: gcc: 10.1.1 
               alt: 10/9 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 running in: konsole inxi: 3.1.00 
    erlangen:~ #
    The i7-6700K is great, but the i3-4130 performs well too with kmail.

    You will want to have your mail buffered:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           31Gi       2.2Gi        25Gi       338Mi       3.8Gi        28Gi
    Swap:          15Gi          0B        15Gi
    erlangen:~ #
    Big RAM isn't a waste of money, but serves as an ultra fast disk. When performing folder operations kmail sometimes creates local copies of the mail termed "external files" and deletes them again when cleaning the cache. The notebook with the i5-8250U has one 8 GiB DDR4 and a 256 GB nvme drive. That works well too as does the i3-4130 / 2x8GiB DDR3 / 250 GB SSD 850 EVO.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •