Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

  1. #1

    Default The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    On the official wiki (https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade), the system upgrade from 15.1 to 15.2 requires replacing the string "15.1" to "15.2" in all the /etc/zypp/repo.d files.

    However, in my 15.1 system, there is no literal "15.1" in the repo's URL, for example, the OSS repo:

    baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/$releasever/repo/oss/

    Is the system upgrade guide on the wiki staled. If I don't want to replace the $releasever variable in the repo file, how could I upgrade the system to Leap 15.2?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,868
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Hi
    I would switch to a tty (or use screen), switch (su -) or login to the tty as root user and run the following....

    Code:
    zypper --releasever 15.2 dup
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Thank you! This solves my problem. Note that other repositories (e.g., Packman and nvidia) still requires manual string replacement.
    The upgrade guide on the official wiki still needs a fix though.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I would switch to a tty (or use screen), switch (su -) or login to the tty as root user and run the following....

    Code:
    zypper --releasever 15.2 dup

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    27,377

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by nuklly View Post
    The upgrade guide on the official wiki still needs a fix though.
    It is a Wiki, isn't it?
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,543
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by nuklly View Post
    Note that other repositories (e.g., Packman and nvidia) still requires manual string replacement.
    I edited "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo", and replaced "15.1" by "$releasever".

    And then I used the suggested upgrade with "--releasever=15.2". It worked very well. I'll note that I did this in a virtual machine. On my real machine, I did a clean install of 15.2.

    When I last checked, the repo for 'libdvdcss" was not yet up for Leap 15.2, so I disabled that repo before the upgrade.

    I don't have nvidia hardware, so I could not check that. But it probably works the same way with "$releasever".

    And a note for those into virtualization. I have a VM with Leap 15.1 (using KVM). So I cloned that, and then upgraded the clone. The nice thing about doing it with a clone, is that I can repeat it. I first tested this early in the 15.2 cycle. And I tested again last week. I'll keep my Leap 15.1 virtual machine for testing, until end-of-life for 15.1. I have Leap 15.2 in a separate VM, where I have been testing it since the alpha release stage.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,868
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I edited "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo", and replaced "15.1" by "$releasever".

    And then I used the suggested upgrade with "--releasever=15.2". It worked very well. I'll note that I did this in a virtual machine. On my real machine, I did a clean install of 15.2.

    When I last checked, the repo for 'libdvdcss" was not yet up for Leap 15.2, so I disabled that repo before the upgrade.

    I don't have nvidia hardware, so I could not check that. But it probably works the same way with "$releasever".

    And a note for those into virtualization. I have a VM with Leap 15.1 (using KVM). So I cloned that, and then upgraded the clone. The nice thing about doing it with a clone, is that I can repeat it. I first tested this early in the 15.2 cycle. And I tested again last week. I'll keep my Leap 15.1 virtual machine for testing, until end-of-life for 15.1. I have Leap 15.2 in a separate VM, where I have been testing it since the alpha release stage.
    Hi
    For libdvdcss just rebuild the src rpm locally.....
    http://download.videolan.org/SuSE/Tu...2-1.18.src.rpm
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Hi
    I edited "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo", and replaced "15.1" by "$releasever".
    It’s not in official wiki.
    Nothing in the wiki about third party repositories
    How to edit "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo" and replace "15.1" by "$releasever" ?
    with YaST ? Or command line ?

    Thank you

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by chalu View Post
    Hi

    It’s not in official wiki.
    Nothing in the wiki about third party repositories
    How to edit "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo" and replace "15.1" by "$releasever" ?
    with YaST ? Or command line ?

    Thank you
    You could do
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/15.1/$releasever/g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo
    See the result...
    Code:
    cat /etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo
    BTW, to change all such repos
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/15.1/$releasever/g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  9. #9

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Thank you

    Maybe someone can change the official wiki?
    I don't write English very well.
    I use translators...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by chalu View Post
    Thank you

    Maybe someone can change the official wiki?
    I don't write English very well.
    I use translators...
    Ok, I've added the pertinent info to the wiki page.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •