Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

Default The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

On the official wiki (https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade), the system upgrade from 15.1 to 15.2 requires replacing the string "15.1" to "15.2" in all the /etc/zypp/repo.d files.

However, in my 15.1 system, there is no literal "15.1" in the repo's URL, for example, the OSS repo:

baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/$releasever/repo/oss/

Is the system upgrade guide on the wiki staled. If I don't want to replace the $releasever variable in the repo file, how could I upgrade the system to Leap 15.2?

Blog Entries

Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

Hi
    I would switch to a tty (or use screen), switch (su -) or login to the tty as root user and run the following....

Code:
    zypper --releasever 15.2 dup
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: The upgrade method from official wiki doesn't work (Leap 15.1 -> 15.2)

Thank you! This solves my problem. Note that other repositories (e.g., Packman and nvidia) still requires manual string replacement.
    The upgrade guide on the official wiki still needs a fix though.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I would switch to a tty (or use screen), switch (su -) or login to the tty as root user and run the following....

Code:
    zypper --releasever 15.2 dup

Quote Originally Posted by nuklly View Post
    The upgrade guide on the official wiki still needs a fix though.
    It is a Wiki, isn't it?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuklly View Post
    Note that other repositories (e.g., Packman and nvidia) still requires manual string replacement.
    I edited "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo", and replaced "15.1" by "$releasever".

And then I used the suggested upgrade with "--releasever=15.2". It worked very well. I'll note that I did this in a virtual machine. On my real machine, I did a clean install of 15.2.

When I last checked, the repo for 'libdvdcss" was not yet up for Leap 15.2, so I disabled that repo before the upgrade.

I don't have nvidia hardware, so I could not check that. But it probably works the same way with "$releasever".

And a note for those into virtualization. I have a VM with Leap 15.1 (using KVM). So I cloned that, and then upgraded the clone. The nice thing about doing it with a clone, is that I can repeat it. I first tested this early in the 15.2 cycle. And I tested again last week. I'll keep my Leap 15.1 virtual machine for testing, until end-of-life for 15.1. I have Leap 15.2 in a separate VM, where I have been testing it since the alpha release stage.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I edited "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo", and replaced "15.1" by "$releasever".

And then I used the suggested upgrade with "--releasever=15.2". It worked very well. I'll note that I did this in a virtual machine. On my real machine, I did a clean install of 15.2.

When I last checked, the repo for 'libdvdcss" was not yet up for Leap 15.2, so I disabled that repo before the upgrade.

I don't have nvidia hardware, so I could not check that. But it probably works the same way with "$releasever".

And a note for those into virtualization. I have a VM with Leap 15.1 (using KVM). So I cloned that, and then upgraded the clone. The nice thing about doing it with a clone, is that I can repeat it. I first tested this early in the 15.2 cycle. And I tested again last week. I'll keep my Leap 15.1 virtual machine for testing, until end-of-life for 15.1. I have Leap 15.2 in a separate VM, where I have been testing it since the alpha release stage.
    Hi
    For libdvdcss just rebuild the src rpm locally.....
    http://download.videolan.org/SuSE/Tu...2-1.18.src.rpm
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hi
    It’s not in official wiki.
    Nothing in the wiki about third party repositories
    How to edit "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo" and replace "15.1" by "$releasever" ?
    with YaST ? Or command line ?

Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chalu View Post
    Hi

It’s not in official wiki.
    Nothing in the wiki about third party repositories
    How to edit "/etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo" and replace "15.1" by "$releasever" ?
    with YaST ? Or command line ?

Thank you
    You could do
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/15.1/$releasever/g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo
    See the result...
    Code:
    cat /etc/zypp/repos.d/packman.repo
    BTW, to change all such repos
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/15.1/$releasever/g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Thank you

Maybe someone can change the official wiki?
    I don't write English very well.
    I use translators...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chalu View Post
    Thank you

Maybe someone can change the official wiki?
    I don't write English very well.
    I use translators...
    Ok, I've added the pertinent info to the wiki page.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast