Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to launch programs by clicking file/icon

Default Re: Unable to launch programs by clicking file/icon

@Malcolm, the shortcuts were created long ago and everything has worked fine until a few days ago. I do have the mimeinfo.cache file - much of its contents refer to wine, I'll come back to that in a moment.

@wolfi, It's actually "Ask for confirmation in all KDE applications when:" ... "Executing scripts or desktop files" in my installation, and checking it works! Admittedly I (obviously) have to select "Execute" in the pop-up, but that's a minor issue which I can happily live with (and might actually be convenient on occasions when I want to select a file but not execute it).

I had a look at the settings on my laptop, which also has Leap 15.1 and which has been working correctly, and "Ask for confirmation in all KDE applications when:" ... "Executing scripts or desktop files" isn't checked, yet programs run. It's all very strange, the only thing I've done recently which might involve some change in settings was a lot of messing around with Wine/PlayOnLinux, etc. in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to get Adobe Digital Editions to work. It's hard to see that there could be any connection, but if anyone knows differently, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks to all for your help,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyStopford View Post
    No, the same thing happens even when directly clicking the executable file, so for the example above you get Start.py opening in Kate: ...
    Did you inadvertently enable double clicking? Application Starter > System Settings > Workspace Behavior > General Behavior
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

@wolfi, It's actually "Ask for confirmation in all KDE applications when:" ... "Executing scripts or desktop files" in my installation, and checking it works!
    Apparently the exact text changed in later versions...

Admittedly I (obviously) have to select "Execute" in the pop-up, but that's a minor issue which I can happily live with (and might actually be convenient on occasions when I want to select a file but not execute it).

I had a look at the settings on my laptop, which also has Leap 15.1 and which has been working correctly, and "Ask for confirmation in all KDE applications when:" ... "Executing scripts or desktop files" isn't checked, yet programs run.
    Well, there are actually 3(!) possible settings:
    - Always ask for confirmation (the default)
    - Open in application
    - Execute

The settings in older dolphin versions were slightly wrong (or rather incomplete) unfortunately.

Anyway, you can get rid of the dialog by activating the "Don't ask me again" checkbox, the button you click (i.e. Execute or Open) will then be used everytime without asking.
    That's maybe how you ended up in this situation in the first place, or why your laptop executes without asking.

Btw, the setting is stored in ~/.config/kiorc.
    E.g. it contains something like this:
    Code:
    [Executable scripts]
    behaviourOnLaunch=execute
    (this means it will always execute without asking, can also be "open" and "alwaysAsk")

Also see https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=129445.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 26-Jun-2020 at 15:12.

Thanks Wolfi, I've just edited ~/.config/kiorc and everything's back to normal. I wonder how it got changed...

@karlmistelburger - that's what I thought at first (might have fitted with messing around with Wine), but no.

Blog Entries

FWIW, the kiorc setting I have is
    Code:
    [Executable scripts]
    behaviourOnLaunch=dontAsk
    I note Nate Graham mentioned this...
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421294#c1
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Thanks Wolfi, I've just edited ~/.config/kiorc and everything's back to normal. I wonder how it got changed...

@karlmistelburger - that's what I thought at first (might have fitted with messing around with Wine), but no.
    My ~/.config/kiorc dates from August 2016. Could be a spurious malfunction. One user had a support call when the desktop disappeared all of sudden. On restart it insisted on using folder Desktop instead of (german) Schreibtisch. Never succeeded in reverting this behavior, but moved the old home and started with a pristine one.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Annoyingly, I first changed the setting using the Dolphin settings dialogue so I don't know what kiorc had said before, or even whether it had existed prior to my making the change to "Executing scripts or desktop files".

It gets changed when you change the setting in dolphin, or tick "Do not ask again" in the dialog that asks about executing or opening.

The default is "alwaysAsk", that's what it should do on a fresh installation/user account, and that's what you get when you delete the file or line.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    FWIW, the kiorc setting I have is
    Code:
    [Executable scripts]
    behaviourOnLaunch=dontAsk
    I note Nate Graham mentioned this...
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421294#c1
    IIRC, they used a wrong value when expanding the dolphin settings, and I think I even mentioned this in the review back then...

Although, the way kio reads the option, "dontAsk" is equal to "open".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12