Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFS server not reachable by hostname

Default Re: NFS server not reachable by hostname

Thanks. I have not yet rebooted the router. Are there any downsides to rebooting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    Thanks. I have not yet rebooted the router. Are there any downsides to rebooting?
    There shouldn't be from a home network perspective. You're the administrator.

BTW, while researching this I did find this similar reddit thread (with no solution but a critical appraisal of this router model)...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fios/commen...nal_local_dns/
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Success! Rebooting the router did the trick.

I then rebooted three of the clients (and restored the auto.misc on the machine where I substituted the DNS for the hostname), and now they all work as they did until yesterday.

I gather the router was not resolving hostname against the DNS, even though everything I checked showed nothing amiss.

I thank everyone for their comments, feedback, and suggestions.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Success! Rebooting the router did the trick.

I then rebooted three of the clients (and restored the auto.misc on the machine where I substituted the DNS for the hostname), and now they all work as they did until yesterday.
    Glad to read of your success with this.

Blog Entries

This is from two of the client machines, yielding the hostname when the DNS is queried, but fails in response to the hostname:
    Code:
    linux-3:~ # nslookup

> 192.168.1.202
    202.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa      name = linux-5.fios-router.home.

> linux-5.fios-router.home 
    Server:         192.168.1.1
    Address:        192.168.1.1#53

** server can't find linux-5.fios-router.home: NXDOMAIN

> exit

linux-3:~ #
    My guess is that this is a possible contributing factor to your problem.
    The DNS setup you posted doesn't seem to define a DNS zone (ie the NXDOMAIN which your above says is missing).

In any case, I offered a solution which should solve your problem...
    Create a /etc/hosts entry that maps the exact name used for your NFS share to an IP address.
    Especially if you don't have to manage more than approx 3 machines on your network which needs this entry, it shouldn't be onerous. If necessary, if your router supports DhCP options, it's possible to use DHCP to distribute a custom hosts file to your DHCP clients. Or, set up a BIND DNS server on your file server and use that instead of your current router.

Problem should be solved.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

@tsu2: Read post #13. It's resolved already following a router reboot.

deano_ferrari -

In post #10, you wrote that you are using Avahi in your network. I gather this is in addition to, or in lieu of, a DNS server.

Please note that while I was aware that Avahi exists -- I see the name during boot-up ("Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack..."), until this morning I had no familiarity with Avahi or what it does. Earlier, I began reading a bit about Avahi, as well as zero-configuration networking, multicast DNS, and other apparently related concepts. If I understand it correctly, one of several functions performed by Avahi is the discovery of hosts on a network.

Given that my router's DNS server appears to be working correctly and my arguably simple network (see https://susepaste.org/73044017), would there be any reason to use Avahi or a benefit gained by doing so?

Blog Entries

deano_ferrari -

In post #10, you wrote that you are using Avahi in your network. I gather this is in addition to, or in lieu of, a DNS server.

Please note that while I was aware that Avahi exists -- I see the name during boot-up ("Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack..."), until this morning I had no familiarity with Avahi or what it does. Earlier, I began reading a bit about Avahi, as well as zero-configuration networking, multicast DNS, and other apparently related concepts. If I understand it correctly, one of several functions performed by Avahi is the discovery of hosts on a network.

Given that my router's DNS server appears to be working correctly and my arguably simple network (see https://susepaste.org/73044017), would there be any reason to use Avahi or a benefit gained by doing so?
    As I mentioned previously, Avahi implements local hostname resolution using a "hostname.local" naming scheme. As you have a DNS server working for you, there is no benefit from that perspective. Avahi also facilitates device discovery (printers, samba servers, ssh servers etc) on the local network, but nothing needs to be done explicitly on an openSUSE system to take advantage of that as is.

deano_ferrari -

Thank you. If need be, I will revisit Avahi and learn how to use it.

Thankfully, everything on the network is still working after bootup this morning.

Thank you again for your reply and assistance.

Blog Entries

deano_ferrari -

Thank you. If need be, I will revisit Avahi and learn how to use it.

Thankfully, everything on the network is still working after bootup this morning.

Thank you again for your reply and assistance.
    All good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12