Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Configuring the firewall so that hp-setup can find network printers

Default Configuring the firewall so that hp-setup can find network printers

Hi,

I'm new to OpenSUSE (coming from Ubuntu where everything was automagical) and have a problem connecting my laptop to HP printers over the network. The printer here is a HP OfficeJet Pro 8715.

I've read the previous thread about related issues where they brute forced the problem by hard-coding a firewall rule that opens everything for the IP address of the printer. However I would prefer to avoid that, because I'm traveling a lot and would prefer to avoid clobbering my firewall with site-specific IP exceptions.

When I try to autodiscover printers over the network with hp-setup, I get the following error message:
    Code:
    $ hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.12)
    Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)
    error: No devices found on bus: net
    error:  HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network.  This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports.
    When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link.
    http://hplipopensource.com/node/374  

Done.
    When I disable the firewall with `sudo systemctl stop firewalld.service`, the printer is detected, so the problem is definitely the firewall.

The firewall is configured as follows, as you can see mdns and slp are both enabled:
    Code:
    $ sudo firewall-cmd --get-active-zoneshome
      interfaces: wlan0

$ sudo firewall-cmd --zone=home --list-all
    home (active)
      target: default
      icmp-block-inversion: no
      interfaces: wlan0
      sources: 
      services: dhcpv6-client mdns samba-client slp ssh
      ports: 
      protocols: 
      masquerade: no
      forward-ports: 
      source-ports: 
      icmp-blocks: 
      rich rules:
    What changes do I need to make to the firewall's home zone configuration to allow the necessary services?

Default Re: Configuring the firewall so that hp-setup can find network printers

Addendum: here's an analogous discussion in the German OpenSUSE forum, so far with no results; if a solution should come up there, I will double it here.

HP uses mDNS (Bonjour) for printer discovery so open 5353/UDP for traffic.

Code:
    sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=home --add-port=5353/udp
    sudo firewall-cmd --reload
    That might do the trick. Might consider opening it for public as well.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net

Quote Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to OpenSUSE (coming from Ubuntu where everything was automagical) and have a problem connecting my laptop to HP printers over the network. The printer here is a HP OfficeJet Pro 8715.

I've read the previous thread about related issues where they brute forced the problem by hard-coding a firewall rule that opens everything for the IP address of the printer. However I would prefer to avoid that, because I'm traveling a lot and would prefer to avoid clobbering my firewall with site-specific IP exceptions.

When I try to autodiscover printers over the network with hp-setup, I get the following error message:
    Code:
    $ hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.12)
    Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)
    error: No devices found on bus: net
    error:  HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network.  This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports.
    When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link.
    http://hplipopensource.com/node/374  

Done.
    When I disable the firewall with `sudo systemctl stop firewalld.service`, the printer is detected, so the problem is definitely the firewall.

What changes do I need to make to the firewall's home zone configuration to allow the necessary services?
    I have found it easiest to leave the firewall alone, and use manual discovery. Our printer has a static network address. In the hp-setup window, click the network connection, then Show Advanced Options. In the new area, click Manual Discovery, then type the printer's IP address in the box. This has always immediately found the printer for me.
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550

Blog Entries

Configuring my network printer at home:

Step 1: disable the firewall
    Step 2: configure the printer
    Step 3: re-enable the firewall.

But I don't try to do this when travelling with a laptop.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    HP uses mDNS (Bonjour) for printer discovery so open 5353/UDP for traffic.

Code:
    sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=home --add-port=5353/udp
    That might do the trick. Might consider opening it for public as well.
    Thank you. For some reason, the default method in hp-setup appears to be not mDNS, but SLP (see the error message in the first post).

I got it to work now by allowing port 5353 through the firewall (--add-service=mdns) and then, in hp-setup, selecting Avahi under Advanced Configuration. It has to be Avahi; if I select mDNS, it doesn't work..

I'm curious why the default SLP doesn't work even if I enable SLP on the firewall, either by --add-service=slp or by opening port 427 manually. Any idea what could be the issue with SLP? Maybe a multicast problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Configuring my network printer at home:

Step 1: disable the firewall
    Step 2: configure the printer
    Step 3: re-enable the firewall.

But I don't try to do this when travelling with a laptop.
    That would be my approach as well.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

I'm curious why the default SLP doesn't work even if I enable SLP on the firewall, either by --add-service=slp or by opening port 427 manually. Any idea what could be the issue with SLP? Maybe a multicast problem?
    I don't use SLP for printer discovery, but are you sure that the printer is using this mechanism anyway? Is it enabled in the printer?

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I don't use SLP for printer discovery, but are you sure that the printer is using this mechanism anyway? Is it enabled in the printer?
    It works with SLP when I disable the firewall, so I'm pretty sure that SLP would work if I only had the right firewall rule to let it through.

Blog Entries

It works with SLP when I disable the firewall, so I'm pretty sure that SLP would work if I only had the right firewall rule to let it through.
    Try adding the following direct rule for IPv4 multicast packets...
    Code:
    sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --add-rule ipv4 filter INPUT 0 -m pkttype --pkt-type multicast -j ACCEPT
    FWIW, a similar thread I recall...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...43#post2905543

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast