Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any solution for UML modeling from PostgreSQL database ?

Question Any solution for UML modeling from PostgreSQL database ?

Hi everybody,

I've been struggling for almost 2 days now, trying to find a solution for the generation of Entity Relationship Diagrams directly from a PostgreSQL database. It began when I noticed that my Umbrello file was corrupted and that a large amount of class diagrams had been replaced with blank ones with names like "LOST_<number>". I decided to stop working with simple UML apps and to benefit from IDEs which were able to perform ERD by reverse engineering from a database.

Unfortunately that seems to be anything but easy, with OpenSuse, and in general :
    • I can't run Eclipse IDE correctly, probably because it is not in the Tumbleweed repo, and installing directly from official site does'nt work well ;
    • I finally could install NetBeans which seems to work fine - but the current version does'nt support the ERD plugins I need ;
    • I found that mysql-workbench could do the job, and successfully installed the snap version, which is the only that can run correctly. I would have to migrate my postgresql db into a mysql one before extracting the diagram, it's OK ... but I'm unable to connect to my source database (the driver is present, I added the ODBC drivers manager etc. ... no way).

So I'm wondering - how do you create UML diagrams ? It's a basic piece of db and oop development, which tools are you using ? And specifically if you work with postgresql.

I feel like a student who has skipped a large part of its training course on a very important subject on which almost nothing exists on the web, or hidden somewhere in a secret labyrinth ... So if could help me passing my exam I would be very grateful.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any solution for UML modeling from PostgreSQL database ?

It's been awhile since anyone has posted a question about installing Eclipse, but nothing has changed.
    Although openSUSE provides packages to install Eclipse, you'll probably find installing versions from the Eclipse website a better experience for the following reasons...
    - Eclipse is an enormous IDE, and is configurable to support a multitude of different purposes which further enlarges and complicates the install. You can download versions that include packages and configuration for many specific purposes to ensure you have what you need and are set up properly.
    - Installs from the openSUSE repositories integrate with the system. Installs from the Eclipse website are portable and can be installed wherever you wish, and for the most part are completely self-contained within the single directory tree, which makes for easy project management and easy uninstall should you wish.

So, uninstall your current Eclipse and head over the Eclipse website and download the version designed specifically for UML.
    If you're not able to install, you can post details about exactly what you installed, where on your system you installed it and what problem you're running into.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

A quick skim of eclipse and UML resources returns

The UML plugin plus various links to install UML tools (of course, not to be installed until you can verify the base Eclipse is installed and working properly, maybe setting up a basic, working database)
    http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=uml2

Some guides and tutorials
    https://www.google.com/search?q=eclipse+uml2

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Hello tsu2, thanks for your reply (ies) !
    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    (...)
    So, uninstall your current Eclipse and head over the Eclipse website and download the version designed specifically for UML.
    If you're not able to install, you can post details about exactly what you installed, where on your system you installed it and what problem you're running into.

HTH,
    TSU
    At the very beginning of this saga I installed Eclipse different ways, and eventually it was as a stand-alone installed with the installer downloaded from eclipse.org and not from the tumbleweed, packman, factory or any other repo, which I'm not sure they actually provide it. I installed it in my /home dir (precisely ~/bin/eclipse), and I was advised to install "Eclipse IDE for Java and DSL developers" in order to be able to work with diagrams. I had errors that made it unusable, I uninstalled it. I reinstalled now, so that I can give the exact error messages :
    • in Model Explorer (upper left window):

Code:
    Could not create the view: org.eclipse.sirius.ui.tools.views.model.explorer

Below is the content of ~/bin/eclipse :
    Code:
    └── dsl-2020-06
        └── eclipse
            ├── configuration
            │   ├── config.ini
            │   ├── org.eclipse.core.runtime
            │   ├── org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.theme
            │   ├── org.eclipse.equinox.app
            │   ├── org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator
            │   │   └── bundles.info
            │   ├── org.eclipse.equinox.source
            │   │   └── source.info
            │   ├── org.eclipse.oomph.setup
            │   │   ├── indices.xmi
            │   │   ├── installation.setup
            │   │   └── setup.log
            │   ├── org.eclipse.osgi
            │   │   ├── 109
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 121
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 122
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 177
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 205
            │   │   │   └── data
            │   │   │       └── -186571565
            │   │   │           ├── artifacts.xml
            │   │   │           └── content.jar
            │   │   ├── 213
            │   │   │   └── data
            │   │   │       ├── cache.timestamps
            │   │   │       ├── listener_1925729951
            │   │   │       │   ├── artifacts.jar
            │   │   │       │   └── content.jar
            │   │   │       └── timestamps287184240
            │   │   ├── 222
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 225
            │   │   │   └── data
            │   │   │       └── -1688571664
            │   │   │           ├── artifacts.xml
            │   │   │           └── content.xml
            │   │   ├── 237
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 244
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 258
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 267
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 279
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 292
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 343
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 356
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 374
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 381
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 383
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 393
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 397
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 398
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 401
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 403
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 405
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 412
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 413
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 416
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 420
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 443
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 450
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 78
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   ├── 86
            │   │   │   └── 0
            │   │   └── framework.info.2
            │   ├── org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal
            │   │   ├── extensionCount.xml
            │   │   └── extensionNames.xml
            │   └── org.eclipse.update
            │       └── platform.xml
            ├── dropins
            ├── eclipse
            ├── eclipse.ini
            ├── icon.xpm
            ├── plugins
            │   └── org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.5.700.v20200207-2156.jar
            └── readme
                └── readme_eclipse.html

Blog Entries

1. Although I think most people deploy Eclipse in a /home subdirectory, my preference has always been to install in /opt...
    Because I don't know that much development or management of Server applications can be done with the ordinary User account.
    But, this is not a particularly critical or even important preference.

2 Your stack trace suggests you haven't configured your Eclipse to use a particular Java which leads to the following

3. You will have to describe what you did after unpacking your Eclipse to a particular location.
    After unpacked, eclipse will still be unconfigured, and Java is a very common setting that has to be configured, but it's only one.
    If this is the first time you're installing and using eclipse, you may not know that there is a very extensive number of configurations that have to be set. The exact menu option has changed a few times over the years, but it's very long (maybe over 20 screens, each screen a very large number of settings). Not every field needs to have an entry, but it's critical for your specific use that essential settings be filled in.

I'm guessing that's your current issue...
    That after unpacking you thought you can just start working.
    Not so.
    Setting up completely takes a very long amount of time.

From what you've described so far,
    At least your Java and workspaces location needs to be set.

A FYI about posting images or anything else for public view,
    Dropbox is OK, but it has storage limitations.
    If you'd rather avoid using up your limited storage,
    Some use pastebins, I post to my github space. Both don't have limitations.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

@tsu2

That's a lot of relevant informations, thanks a lot for your concern!
    Actually there are two java versions on my machine.
    I used Eclipse some years ago when I wrote a little app in Java, I knew that the workspace might be defined, because it is mandatory, but I had no idea of all the configuration I had missed. I'm going to tackle this job right now.
    (And I have no paying account on pastebin, so I could not post anymore - and no github either ! ... @TODO ... )

Erik

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voronamanga View Post
    @tsu2

That's a lot of relevant informations, thanks a lot for your concern!
    Actually there are two java versions on my machine.
    I used Eclipse some years ago when I wrote a little app in Java, I knew that the workspace might be defined, because it is mandatory, but I had no idea of all the configuration I had missed. I'm going to tackle this job right now.
    (And I have no paying account on pastebin, so I could not post anymore - and no github either ! ... @TODO ... )

Erik
    On openSUSE, you can install multiple java side by side and choose which java to use as your system default with alternatives, eg
    Code:
    updae-alternatives --config java
    But,
    The above won't have anything to do with how you configure java for eclipse... You go into the eclipse configuration and point to the java binary you wish to use(of course, you'll need to know the full path to your java binary).

As to using various pastebins...
    In general they all allow anonymous posts.
    Logins are desirable only if you wish to manage your postings.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    On openSUSE, you can install multiple java side by side and choose which java to use as your system default with alternatives, eg
    Code:
    updae-alternatives --config java
    But,
    The above won't have anything to do with how you configure java for eclipse... You go into the eclipse configuration and point to the java binary you wish to use(of course, you'll need to know the full path to your java binary).

As to using various pastebins...
    In general they all allow anonymous posts.
    Logins are desirable only if you wish to manage your postings.

TSU
    Both java-11 and -15 are present on my system (as probably on most Tumbleweed systems ?) but the -11 is the default and was detected by Eclipse and did not require any manual configuration. In fact, I think that the problem I had was that I made two installs (each time with the installer and different bundles but the same directory, and it's a bad idea).

But it's true that Eclipse is kind a space shuttle for me, who knows only how to drive cars. Il could do a few things (say maybe learn how to incline the seats) but a lot of errors pop out and I could browse the net for days with no result but headaches and confusion. More desperating, I suspect a bug in the plugin I wanted to use which tries to connect to a wrong maven repo url. I'll give up for now and enroll into a complete course when needed, if ever ...

Thanks for the trick with pastebin.

I found a very useful app which serves my current needs (DbVisualizer), not so complete that I would have liked to get (can't edit the DB from the diagram but only the opposite), but it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Thanks a lot, I'll keep the list in my records and test the apps. For now, I came across DbVisualizer which does the job, even in its free version. Multiple diagram arrangements, export in svg, easy database connection... what else ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast