Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to uninstall Google Chrome?

Default How to uninstall Google Chrome?

There's a reason why chrome is not a default option in opensuse. I made the mistake of installing chrome using zypper because I wanted to import my passwords to firefox, and immediately noticed funny activity on doing top, with strange processes named Webcontent running in the background. However the zypper command I found on the web for removing chrome didn't work.
    Code:
    som@localhost:~> su -
    Password: 
    localhost:~ # zypper repos
    Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
     1 | Google-Chrome             | Google-Chrome                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No
     2 | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     3 | repo-debug                | Debug Repository                   | No      | ----      | ----
     4 | repo-debug-non-oss        | Debug Repository (Non-OSS)         | No      | ----      | ----
     5 | repo-debug-update         | Update Repository (Debug)          | No      | ----      | ----
     6 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | Update Repository (Debug, Non-OSS) | No      | ----      | ----
     7 | repo-non-oss              | Non-OSS Repository                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     8 | repo-oss                  | Main Repository                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     9 | repo-source               | Source Repository                  | No      | ----      | ----
    10 | repo-source-non-oss       | Source Repository (Non-OSS)        | No      | ----      | ----
    11 | repo-update               | Main Update Repository             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    12 | repo-update-non-oss       | Update Repository (Non-Oss)        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    localhost:~ # zypper removerepo google-chrome
    Repository 'google-chrome' not found by alias, number or URI.
    localhost:~ #
    So though Chrome is obviously there, zypper isn't recognizing that and thinking it isn't. And typing chrome in the menu box is also showing chrome which upon clicking on it is opening the browser. How do I uninstall it? I just checked that restarting didn't do the trick. So please help.

Default Re: How to uninstall Google Chrome?

Maybe you passed the name of the repository to zypper rm?

Find all packages installed from a given repo:

Code:
    zypper pa -i --repo NVIDIA
    Then use

Code:
    zypper rm packages
    zypper rm command accepts an -u flag to remove also unneeded dependencies if you prefer.

YSK that modern browsers do spawn backgrounds processes, Firefox does that as well.

EDIT: I didn't look closely the that output you pasted. You typed the repo as all lowercase. And only removing the repo is not enough. See above.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Removing the repo does NOT remove the installed package(s) from that repo. To achieve removal of both:
    Code:
    sudo zypper rr 1
    The Google Crome repo is no 1 in your list, so the command removes that repo
    Code:
    sudo zypper rm google-chrome-stable
    removes the package.

But for both you can also use the tools in YaST - Software
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

This is what I get
    Code:
    Password: 
    localhost:~ # zypper repos
    Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
     1 | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     2 | repo-debug                | Debug Repository                   | No      | ----      | ----
     3 | repo-debug-non-oss        | Debug Repository (Non-OSS)         | No      | ----      | ----
     4 | repo-debug-update         | Update Repository (Debug)          | No      | ----      | ----
     5 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | Update Repository (Debug, Non-OSS) | No      | ----      | ----
     6 | repo-non-oss              | Non-OSS Repository                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     7 | repo-oss                  | Main Repository                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     8 | repo-source               | Source Repository                  | No      | ----      | ----
     9 | repo-source-non-oss       | Source Repository (Non-OSS)        | No      | ----      | ----
    10 | repo-update               | Main Update Repository             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    11 | repo-update-non-oss       | Update Repository (Non-Oss)        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    And yet Chrome is still looming large.

I also get
    Code:
    Password: 
    localhost:~ # zypper pa -i --repo Google-Chrome
    Repository 'Google-Chrome' not found by its alias, number, or URI.
    Use 'zypper repos' to get the list of defined repositories.
    Please help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somdatta View Post
    I also get
    Code:
    Password: 
    Please help.
    Please read the replies. I already gave you the solution.

I also get
    Code:
    Password: 
    Please help.
    In the first message you've had a Google-Chrome repository. In the second message, the repository was gone, so the command above from your third message wouldn't work anymore, since the environment was changed.
    Now you can check which packages were left behind:

Code:
    zypper pa --orphaned
    Find the correct package name and use the command suggested to have it/they removed.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

But Google-Chrome is no longer the no.1 repo.

Blog Entries

But Google-Chrome is no longer the no.1 repo.
    Use YaST Software Manager, search. We are not here to spoonfeed you. Spend your time and energy on learning.

Uninstalled chrome using YAST.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast