Cannot print on migration to openSUSE

I just migrated to openSUSE Tumbleweed from Kubuntu 20.04. I used the KDE desktop on both. I have everything working except the printing. I installed the Brother HL-2280DW printer drivers normally, but after hours of effort, I cannot print. I made sure that I’m in the lp group. Here’s the latest error log entries:

W [17/Jun/2020:08:59:18 -0400] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [17/Jun/2020:08:59:18 -0400] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
E [17/Jun/2020:08:59:18 -0400] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Address already in use.
E [17/Jun/2020:08:59:18 -0400] Unable to open listen socket for address 127.0.0.1:631 - Address already in use.
E [17/Jun/2020:08:59:23 -0400] [CGI] cups-brf must be called as root
E [17/Jun/2020:08:59:23 -0400] [cups-deviced] PID 1834 (cups-brf) stopped with status 1!
E [17/Jun/2020:08:59:23 -0400] [cups-deviced] PID 1838 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
W [17/Jun/2020:08:59:56 -0400] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [17/Jun/2020:08:59:56 -0400] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [17/Jun/2020:08:59:56 -0400] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [17/Jun/2020:09:06:29 -0400] [Job 14] Grayscale/monochrome printing requested for this job but Poppler is not able to convert to grayscale/monochrome PostScript.
W [17/Jun/2020:09:06:29 -0400] [Job 14] Use "pdftops-renderer" option (see README file) to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion.

I’ve tried removing and reinserting the printer several times, as well as reinstalling the drivers. The printer appears in the lsusb list and the scanner works fine. Thank you for any ideas.

How did you configure? Using YaST, or CUPS, or …?

The setups done with YaST, the last iteration had minor tweaking with CUPS.

Ok, I am not a Tumbleweed user, nor a Brother printer one. So better wait for others who are the one and/or the other.

What I can say is that IMHO there is no need to make “I” (whoever that may be) member of the lp group. That is not the case on my system and all users can print.

You say you can not print, but that is only a conclusion. You do not tell what you did to try to print and what happened then.
When you use the print items from the file menu of e.g. Firefox, or Libre Office Writer, do you get a pop that offers you (a choice of) printers where that printer is available? Or not? And when the printer is offered and you then continue does nothing come out? In other words “I cannot print” is more a variation of the infamous “it does not work”.

A simple thing one could do is printing from the terminal

echo "Hello world" | lp -

I print from any app, I get the correct dialog with the correct printer offered. When I click on print, nothing prints or even pings the printer and I get the errors I put in above. I tried your simple echo test and got the output “request id is BrGenML1-15 (0 file(s))” in the terminal. The printer is directly connected via USB and appears correctly in lsusb.

Thanks for the clarification.

It seems that all are still in the printqueue (which you could check).

I am afraid the error message are bit beyond me (like you). Will re-read them.
Maybe you can provide information about the printer driver package that is in use?

I downloaded the latest drivers from Brother in rpm format. I installed them in order by right clicking on them and selecting YaST Software. This process worked fine in Kubuntu.

Ok, they are installed then, but are they also found by YaST > Hardware > Printers and used?

I’ve been centering on the Brother printer, but I also have an HP Envy 5540 as well. I installed it with YaST. Both display the same symptoms. I’m therefore thinking that this isn’t a printer issue, but rather a system/CUPS issue. I used the same drivers successfully in Kubuntu.

Yes for the Envy, no for the Brother. The Brother driver isn’t available for installation in YaST. I had to install it myself. No different than Kubuntu.

Brother driver are often 32bit, so you may need libusb-0_1-4-32bit or similar in Tumbleweed
See:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/531271-Brother-printer-driver-installs-but-can-t-print

That was it, thank you! Now I have to clean up from my mess from playing with the drivers.

Congratulations! Nice it works.

I’m very happy! It never occurred to me that the 32-bit compatibility libs wouldn’t have been installed on Tumbleweed installation. I should have checked. I should have thought of that when the 64-bit Brother scanner driver worked fine on the same device.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me this morning.