Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I configure a vpn connection?

Default Re: How do I configure a vpn connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Somdatta View Post
    OK so this is even more interesting. However right now I am at a different location than my actual house due to Covid and thought it better to wait until I get back there. Otherwise if all this somehow messes up the connection here (I guess for starters I would need permission from the internet service providers and they might not agree), then everything will be doomed. Till then, firewalls are good enough, I guess.
    Almost set up a protonvpn connection, now getting this message when I open YAST network:
    Network is currently handled by Network Manager or completely disabled. YaST is unable to configure some options, to the effect that I don't see any option anywhere to add a connection. What to do? I reinstalled YasT network and a host of other network utilities, but to no effect, I am still getting the same message. Please help.

Set up a protonvpn connection on my phone BTW. It's now completely dark to the outside world. However I had problems logging in here from my phone. I don't know what's going wrong, when I try to post this reply, it logged me out and then didn't let me log in, though the username and password are the same as here. I don't know what's going on.

Almost set up a protonvpn connection, now getting this message when I open YAST network:
    Network is currently handled by Network Manager or completely disabled. YaST is unable to configure some options, to the effect that I don't see any option anywhere to add a connection. What to do? I reinstalled YasT network and a host of other network utilities, but to no effect, I am still getting the same message. Please help.
    Also the network manager icon on the upper right hand corner doesn't have an add connection option in its drop down menu.

BTW, managed to log in from my phone alright, but I believe the posting options are disabled on it, is it so for everyone?

Blog Entries

OK so this is even more interesting. However right now I am at a different location than my actual house due to Covid and thought it better to wait until I get back there. Otherwise if all this somehow messes up the connection here (I guess for starters I would need permission from the internet service providers and they might not agree), then everything will be doomed. Till then, firewalls are good enough, I guess.
    It's good practice to be very wary working on a remote machine and doing anything that might affect the network connection.
    Only if you have a "lights out" solution can you do almost anything with confidence.

No matter whether you use an automated or semi-automated setup, on Linux you generally
    - Should install the VPN components separately for that particular VPN protocol.
    - Can be helpful to read through the installation and configuration instructions for the basic protocol to at least become familiar with what is installed and essential parts you need (login credentials? encryption keys? authentication keys? packages which can help setup?)
    - Network Manager is a common way to manage VPNs, after all a VPN is another kind of network connection
    - A VPN is a "secondary network connection" in other words, a regular, normal network connection must be working before a vPN can be started.
    - Be familiar with how your system is set up before configuring a VPN... Does your netowrk start on system boot or only after someone logs on to the machine?

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    It's good practice to be very wary working on a remote machine and doing anything that might affect the network connection.
    Only if you have a "lights out" solution can you do almost anything with confidence.

No matter whether you use an automated or semi-automated setup, on Linux you generally
    - Should install the VPN components separately for that particular VPN protocol.
    - Can be helpful to read through the installation and configuration instructions for the basic protocol to at least become familiar with what is installed and essential parts you need (login credentials? encryption keys? authentication keys? packages which can help setup?)
    - Network Manager is a common way to manage VPNs, after all a VPN is another kind of network connection
    - A VPN is a "secondary network connection" in other words, a regular, normal network connection must be working before a vPN can be started.
    - Be familiar with how your system is set up before configuring a VPN... Does your netowrk start on system boot or only after someone logs on to the machine?

HTH,
    TSU
    As far as I can see, the protonvpn connection is completely independent of any kind of personal internet service provider, they have their own servers to which I could connect to on my phone which is working perfectly and superfast.

The problem I am having is with my network manager which is not functioning properly, in the sense that it's not showing the add connections option anywhere. Neither is YaST able to add connections, as it doesn't have that option as well and giving the error message that I talked about.

Blog Entries

The problem I am having is with my network manager which is not functioning properly, in the sense that it's not showing the add connections option anywhere. Neither is YaST able to add connections, as it doesn't have that option as well and giving the error message that I talked about.
    Which desktop environment are you using? That might help us provide a more specific answer here.

If using KDE, you can get to the NM connection editor via a terminal using...
    Code:
    kcmshell5 kcm_networkmanagement
    but as oldcpu already mentioned, you should be able to get to this by right-clicking on the network icon in the system tray, and select 'Configure Network Connections...'

It can handle various VPN connectivity (a number of common protocols), but some enterprise services may provide their own CLI or GUI utilities to control the VPN connectivity. So you need to be specific when asking for help with a particular provider and/or protocol.

YaST is only relevant if using wicked to manage your network connectivity.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Which desktop environment are you using? That might help us provide a more specific answer here.

If using KDE, you can get to the NM connection editor via a terminal using...
    Code:
    kcmshell5 kcm_networkmanagement
    but as oldcpu already mentioned, you should be able to get to this by right-clicking on the network icon in the system tray, and select 'Configure Network Connections...'

It can handle various VPN connectivity (a number of common protocols), but some enterprise services may provide their own CLI or GUI utilities to control the VPN connectivity. So you need to be specific when asking for help with a particular provider and/or protocol.

YaST is only relevant if using wicked to manage your network connectivity.
    One small add...
    I mentioned that you have to install the components of the VPN protocol you intend to set up.
    This is not a "maybe" "sometimes" or "only with this provider."
    I don't know of a single exception, unlike MSWindows you have to install the components for your system using the system's own packages separately and before you can do anything else from the VPN provider.
    And, if you don't install at least one VPN component, you won't see a VPN connection option to set up in Netowrk Manager.

The following ProtonVPN Linux install instructions recommends you install OpenVPN packages.

https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-vpn-setup/

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

I get the sense that a different method than what I proposed is being adapted.

but to be 100% certain, if using Network Manager, and wanting to add a country.ovpn file, go to Network Manager configuration in lower right corner of a KDE desktop, and click on the "+" :

Pretty simple, but if complete window is not showing, you need to scroll down to see the + symbol. There may be more than one scroll bar (ie each box may have a scroll bar).

Then that will bring up this window:

Again, go to the bottom of the window to find what to click on in order to import the VPN file.

The above is just an example I set up for this post.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I was not having a connection. Now I have and have configured protonvpn successfully. Thanks for everyone who pitched in with valuable advice. Now I am completely dark to the outside world.

Blog Entries

Now I am completely dark to the outside world.
    Glad to read you have a VPN working.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by completely dark. Note there are ways a VPN can be worked around by those with the resources and will power to do so - in order to discover who is using a VPN. This is especially true if the VPN user has a high traffic rate.

Note also what I said about ipv6 leaks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast