Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get ethernet working on install for a motherboard using Realtek 8125 2.5Gbps chip?

Default How to get ethernet working on install for a motherboard using Realtek 8125 2.5Gbps chip?

Hi all,

This 8125 ehternet chip is becoming very popular on enthusiast motherboards, but to my knowledge there is no kernel support yet for this chip.

Right now, apparently we have to install the driver from the realtek site:
    https://www.realtek.com/en/component...press-software

A couple of questions:
    1. What would be the recommended method of installing [this] driver download on Tumbleweed?
    2. How would [you] choose to get driver support for this chip? i.e. can it be packman'ed...
    3. The driver page says driver valid up to kernel 5.6, is it likely that native kernel support will arrive soon? i.e. with 5.7...

Many thanks. Jbt

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to get ethernet working on install for a motherboard using Realtek 8125 2.5Gbps chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    Hi all,

This 8125 ehternet chip is becoming very popular on enthusiast motherboards, but to my knowledge there is no kernel support yet for this chip.

Right now, apparently we have to install the driver from the realtek site:
    https://www.realtek.com/en/component...press-software

A couple of questions:
    1. What would be the recommended method of installing [this] driver download on Tumbleweed?
    2. How would [you] choose to get driver support for this chip? i.e. can it be packman'ed...
    3. The driver page says driver valid up to kernel 5.6, is it likely that native kernel support will arrive soon? i.e. with 5.7...

Many thanks. Jbt
    Hi
    Not sure if will be in later kernels.... anyway here you go;
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...:TESTING/r8125
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: How to get ethernet working on install for a motherboard using Realtek 8125 2.5Gbps chip?

RTL8125 / RTL8125B(S) becames very popular.
    Hope it will be integrated into openSUSE's distribution.

I see
    Code:
    /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw
    - maybe we already have all that we need?

RTL8125 appears in market in October, 2018.

thank you, all.

i hope we do have what we need, but:

Is this something that will be rolled into the image, or something we'll have to install from (a separate) network connection?

p.s. thank you to Malcolm for rolling that driver (?) in the last four days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    thank you, all.

i hope we do have what we need, but:

Is this something that will be rolled into the image, or something we'll have to install from (a separate) network connection?

p.s. thank you to Malcolm for rolling that driver (?) in the last four days.
    Hi
    I would recommend downloading and installing, if/when kernel updates you will need to grab the updated kmp... In time hopefully it appears in the kernel...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Linux kernel has support for RTL8125 since 5.4:
    https://lwn.net/Articles/797806/
    Hi
    @OP, do the PCI id's match 3000 or 8125? If so, then should be good to go with the r8169 module (Why they put in there, have no idea...).

Code:
    /sbin/modinfo r8169 | egrep "8125|3000"

firmware:       rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00003000sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008125sv*sd*bc*sc*i*

thanks, OC'ers mucked up my order, so rather than have it built today i'm gonna be waiting a week or so. will let you know when i'm built.

flood of boards being announced with this ethernet chip between amd X570/B550, and intel 460/490 boards.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi @OP, do the PCI id's match 3000 or 8125? If so, then should be good to go with the r8169 module (Why they put in there, have no idea...).
    Code:
     /sbin/modinfo r8169 | egrep "8125|3000"  firmware:       rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw alias:          pci:v000010ECd00003000sv*sd*bc*sc*i* alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008125sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    the ehternet chip used is the 8125b variant. thank you. Jbt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast