Thread: Your phone - similar apllication

m_ihal NNTP User

Default Your phone - similar apllication

Hi All,

I'm looking for similar application like Microsoft Your Phone to link android phone with opensuse. Is there any application available for linux?
    BTW KDE Connect require connection to wi-fi, so it is not possible in the case that mobile phone is hot-spot for devices.

Regards,
    m

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your phone - similar apllication

My personal SOP is to use my email's "drafts" as a waypoint transfer for anything I want to transfer from one device to another.
    I find this much better for temporary transfers when I don't want to store anything permanently anywhere else than where they were in the beginning.
    All it requires is that both the phone and the Desktop is logged into the same email account.

For example,
    Let's say I want to write a particularly long and detailed text message and maybe attach a picture.
    I "compose" a new email message with my text, attach the picture and give it a subject line for identification but don't actually send it anywhere.
    My email service syncs the draft and stores it temporarily on the server as an unsent message.
    On my phone, I inspect the unsent messages and locate the draft I just created on my Desktop.
    I "select all" and copy the entire text, then paste it into a text message and similarly attach the picture I want to include.
    Send the text message.

Voila!
    A long text message was created on my Desktop keyboard, transferred and copied into my phone's text messaging without explicitly uploading files to cloud storage.
    When I'm done, I just delete the unsent email draft.

It all works pretty darn fast and requires no special configuration.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    My personal SOP is to use my email's "drafts" as a waypoint transfer for anything I want to transfer from one device to another.
    I find this much better for temporary transfers when I don't want to store anything permanently anywhere else than where they were in the beginning.
    All it requires is that both the phone and the Desktop is logged into the same email account.

For example,
    Let's say I want to write a particularly long and detailed text message and maybe attach a picture.
    I "compose" a new email message with my text, attach the picture and give it a subject line for identification but don't actually send it anywhere.
    My email service syncs the draft and stores it temporarily on the server as an unsent message.
    On my phone, I inspect the unsent messages and locate the draft I just created on my Desktop.
    I "select all" and copy the entire text, then paste it into a text message and similarly attach the picture I want to include.
    Send the text message.

Voila!
    A long text message was created on my Desktop keyboard, transferred and copied into my phone's text messaging without explicitly uploading files to cloud storage.
    When I'm done, I just delete the unsent email draft.

It all works pretty darn fast and requires no special configuration.

TSU
    That is a good idea.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

m_ihal NNTP User

Thanks guys. Do you have any idea, how to solve issues with calls? Some app that allows to connect mobile phone with opensuse to calling?

Talking Re: Your phone - similar apllication

Quote Originally Posted by m_ihal View Post
    BTW KDE Connect require connection to wi-fi, so it is not possible in the case that mobile phone is hot-spot for devices.
    Yes, but, KDE Connect can be setup to use a VPN: <https://userbase.kde.org/KDEConnect> – section “Running KDE Connect over OpenVPN” …