Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EEKBOARD Missing consonant in Inscript

Default EEKBOARD Missing consonant in Inscript

I use onscreen keyboard for working in Hindi and Marathi. The Inscript keyboard(s) with Eekboard appears to be defective. The eleventh consonant is missing! The character is certainly present in Inscript. Where do I file a bug report? Or is it possible to replace the Incript file?

PrakashC

Default Re: EEKBOARD Missing consonant in Inscript

I am bad at countng, do you mean ट ? When this is about the package eekboard (not EEKBOARD) then there will not be many users here on the forums. You can wait a bit if a fellow user coms here, else file a bug report. https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/index.cgi But please do explain more then you did here. Remember that the people that will read your report will probably not use the product. So make clear what you use, how you use it, what you did exactly and what you expected to see/happen. And what you saw happned instead.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am bad at countng, do you mean ट ? When this is about the package eekboard (not EEKBOARD) then there will not be many users here on the forums. You can wait a bit if a fellow user coms here, else file a bug report. https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/index.cgi But please do explain more then you did here. Remember that the people that will read your report will probably not use the product. So make clear what you use, how you use it, what you did exactly and what you expected to see/happen. And what you saw happned instead.
    Yes, "ट" that is the missing alphabet. Could not type it in with eekboard. I will keep in mind to explain my problem in more detail.

For anyone else reading this thread I'll try to explain the issue:

I run Leap 15.1 on my desktop. I use eekboard software to type in Hindi and Marathi languages using the "Inscript" keyboard layout. I could not find the eleventh consonant that is "ट" in Devnagri script on the keyboard. It should have appeared at the spot the single quotation mark is put on the onscreen keyboard (same as in US keyboard layout).

The same "Inscript" is used even in Windows (I may say universally) and this consonant is there. The official site for "Inscript" also is fine. The problem, I presume, is in the file used by eekboard.

PrakashC

Filed bug report.

PrakashC

Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    Filed bug report.

PrakashC
    Yes, I think that is the best thing to do. It is ridicolous that only one out of all consonants does not work.
    Henk van Velden

I received following mail:

"Christophe Giboudeaux changed bug 1172415
    What Removed Added
    Component KDE Applications Other
    Assignee opensuse-kde-bugs@opensuse.org i@marguerite.su

Comment # 1 on bug 1172415 from Christophe Giboudeaux

Reassign, eekboard is a M17N application.

eekboard looks unmaintained upstream, however."

Not clear what it means.

PrakashC

As far as I can see it it means
    • Christophe Giboudeaux has been looking into your report.
    • He assumes it is an M17N (The m17n library is a multilingual text processing library for the C language) problem and assigned it to Marguerite Su.
    • He also remarks that it seems that nobody is realy responsable at the moment for maintaining eekboard.

The last one worries me. I hope they find someone that feels responsable for eekboard.
    Henk van Velden

Any other decent onscreen keyboard supporting different languages? I have tried the ones in available repos.

PrakashC

I think I have found the problem point. The following two files in usr/share/eekboard/keyboards/symbols are involved:

hi-inscript.xml (for Hindi keyboard) &
    mr-inscript.xml (for Marathi keyboard)

Code:
    </key>
     <key keycode="48" name="AC11">
     <keysym keyval="39">quoteright</keysym>
     <text category="letter">ठ</text>
    I have put the suspected error in bold. Just as in the next line, this should have read
    Code:
    <text category="letter">ट</text>
    I am certainly not into programming and may be wildly off the mark. But what comes to my mind is to make a copy of one of these files, rename the original file as a safe back up, amend the copied file and put it in the directory. If it works well and good, if not I just go back.

Requesting for advice and suggestions.

PrakashC

Took the plunge. It worked!

PrakashC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast