Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    I am just wondering whether the following would do the trick:
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,825
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    I am just wondering whether the following would do the trick:
    He has pretty much done that. The "shim-install" he used calls "grub2-install".

    However, here are the problems that I am still seeing:

    1: The UEFI boot install was not enough. And that seems to be due to the "pmbr_boot" flag (now fixed).

    2: At one stage, the output of "efibootmgr" looked right, except that there was no entry for Windows. There was an opensuse-secureboot entry.

    3: After fixing the "pmbr_boot" flag problem, it booted to Windows, even though there was no boot entry for Windows.

    Either: this system is has a builtin bias toward Windows;
    Or: It might boot only from what is in "\EFI\Boot" in the EFI partition (or "/boot/efi/EFI/Boot"), and ignore the NVRAM programming.

    So we need to explore those possibilities, and work around them
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,642

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    2: At one stage, the output of "efibootmgr" looked right
    Do you mean this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by NUXGUY View Post
    Code:
     
    outputBootcurrent: 0003
    Timeout: 0 seconds 
    BootOrder: 0000,0003,0002
    Boot0002= Hard Drive
    Boot0003= UEFI: KingstonDataTravler 3.0PMAP
    Boot0000= opensuse-secure boot
    It is the only output in this thread I could spot.
    it booted to Windows, even though there was no boot entry for Windows.
    It is likely the Boot0002 entry which as I mentioned recently usually implies trying \EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi on ESP. Without -v it is impossible to say what all these entries mean (and the fact it is called "opensuse-secure" does not really mean it actually refers to openSUSE at all). What's in a name ...

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    He has pretty much done that. The "shim-install" he used calls "grub2-install".

    However, here are the problems that I am still seeing:

    1: The UEFI boot install was not enough. And that seems to be due to the "pmbr_boot" flag (now fixed).

    2: At one stage, the output of "efibootmgr" looked right, except that there was no entry for Windows. There was an opensuse-secureboot entry.

    3: After fixing the "pmbr_boot" flag problem, it booted to Windows, even though there was no boot entry for Windows.

    Either: this system is has a builtin bias toward Windows;
    Or: It might boot only from what is in "\EFI\Boot" in the EFI partition (or "/boot/efi/EFI/Boot"), and ignore the NVRAM programming.

    So we need to explore those possibilities, and work around them
    For good reasons I expunged everything but what is needed:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # find /boot/efi/ -type f
    /boot/efi/EFI/leap-15.1/grubx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/manjaro/grubx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/arch/grubx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/tw-20200416/grubx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/tumbleweed-btrfs/grubx64.efi
    erlangen:~ #
    For a private PC secure boot makes no sense in my opinion. When install would not work I tried something like this:
    Code:
     efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label test --loader /EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,825
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    For a private PC secure boot makes no sense in my opinion.
    The boot entry "opensuse-secureboot" is what you get by default when you run "shim-install". You still might not be using secure-boot, as that depends on the BIOS settings.

    When install would not work I tried something like this:
    Code:
     efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label test --loader /EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi
    But that only adds an entry until the next boot. When the system boots, the BIOS can make changes to that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,825
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Do you mean this one?
    Yes, that's the one. Yes, I agree that Boot0002 is probably what gives Windows.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Coloradical
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

    Great. We are making progress.


    Then let's get that working.

    You apparently have a very finicky UEFI firmware, so we may need to work around that.


    It probably said that secure boot support is enabled. That has to do with openSUSE boot settings rather than BIOS settings.


    Really, there is no need to reinstall.

    If you reinstall, that won't solve your problems. You will still have the same problems, because of limitations of your UEFI firmware. So we need to find out how to work around that.

    Boot into your Leap 15.1 system - whichever way works.

    Then (as root)
    Code:
    cd /boot/efi/EFI/Boot
    cp /usr/share/efi/x86_64/fallback.efi  .
    After that, try again with "boot from hard drive" from the USB boot menu. I think it will work. If it does, it will give you a way of booting into your system in UEFI mode. And that will be better for making further progress.
    Hi Guys,

    Thanks for all the valuable input! I've been busy but should have some time again on Sunday to try and get this dual boot working again. I really want to get Leap 15.1 Working with Win 8.1!

    But, I was curious if this is accurate for EOL ?

    "Leap 15.1 - is expected to be maintained until end of November 2020"

    If EOL support is coming up this soon I might want to consider a newer distribution before trying to get this working. I was going to follow nrickert's instructions here but might hold off if EOL is coming up in November. Thanks for any info on the best long term support version of SUSE.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,825
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by NUXGUY View Post
    "Leap 15.1 - is expected to be maintained until end of November 2020"
    The original plan was to release Leap 15.2 in May. That has now been delayed until July. My guess is that the EOL for 15.1 will be extended to adjust for that.

    In any case, I suggest continuing with 15.1 for now. This is a useful learning experience, even if you decide to install 15.2 after a few months.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Coloradical
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The original plan was to release Leap 15.2 in May. That has now been delayed until July. My guess is that the EOL for 15.1 will be extended to adjust for that.

    In any case, I suggest continuing with 15.1 for now. This is a useful learning experience, even if you decide to install 15.2 after a few months.
    Good to know. Do you happen to know if there are any plans for an in place upgrade from 15.1 to 15.2?

    It has been a pretty good learning experience albeit somewhat more complicated than most the dual boot setups I've done in the past with the tricky UEFI stuff.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,825
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot Install Problem with Windows 8.1 Open SUSE 15.1 Leap (GRUB Stuck on USB!)

    Quote Originally Posted by NUXGUY View Post
    Do you happen to know if there are any plans for an in place upgrade from 15.1 to 15.2?
    Yes, you can do that. And it works pretty well. Yes, I have tested it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •