Thread: 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

Default 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

Hello,

I've done my best to research the other similar posts and sticky's but am too new to put the pieces together.

What I'm trying to accomplish: Get my realtek usb wifi device to work and then be able to detect and connect to my home's wifi signal. I'm running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with GNOME.

- Based on previous dives into trying to figure this out, I've installed kernel_devel, and kernel default devel is already installed. I believe that the hardware is detected, I believe that I need the proper driver and maybe the wrong kernel is being used.
    - I also have had constant trouble trying to set up a network manager that just tells me if any wifi signals are being detected. Step one is always "make sure you're part of the netdev group, but the only group I can ever see is "users"--I don't know if group netdev exists and I just can't see it, or if I need to create it first?

Pasted some of the info found in one of the sticky's below.

1) What device do you have?

Information about your wireless hardware can be obtained by starting YaST, clicking on Hardware in the left panel and selecting Hardware Information. Henceforth, this sequence will be abbreviated YaST => Hardware => Hardware Information. In the resulting display, check for an entry named "Wireless LAN". Report its presence/absence in your report.

- "Wireless LAN" entry is not present.
    - Realtek USB ID: 0bda:0811

2) Do you need to install external firmware? No idea

Code:
    Tim@localhost:~> dmesg | grep firmware

[    3.411157] [drm] Found VCE firmware/feedback version 50.0.1 / 17!

3) Once you know what your hardware is, the next step is to see what the kernel
    has to say about it. The command for this is 'dmesg | less'.

~lines 899-942...

Code:
    dmesg | less

[    4.355962] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=0811, bcdDevice= 2.00
     [    4.355964] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[    4.355965] usb 1-5: Product: 802.11ac WLAN Adapter  
     [    4.355966] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: Realtek  

[    4.355967] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

(4) Once you have firmware in place, next check for a wireless device by using
    the command '/usr/sbin/iwconfig'.

Code:

Tim@localhost:~> /usr/sbin/iwconfig
     lo        no wireless extensions.

enp5s0    no wireless extensions.

(5) The next step is to determine if your adapter is receiving any broadcasts
    from your AP. To do this enter the command 'sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan'

Code:

Tim@localhost:~> sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
     lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

enp5s0    Interface doesn't support scanning.

Other info I've pulled when pouring through the other 3 dozen threads I've googled:

Code:
     Tim@localhost:~> lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    Code:
     Tim@localhost:~> sudo lspci -vnn

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
         Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:7693]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16, NUMA node 0

I/O ports at d000 [size=256]

Memory at fe704000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
         Memory at fe700000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01

Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=4 Masked-
         Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
         Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
         Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
         Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 01-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00

Kernel driver in use: r8169
         Kernel modules: r8169
    Code:
     Tim@localhost:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
         Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:7693]
         Kernel driver in use: r8169

Kernel modules: r8169
    Code:
    Tim@localhost:~> systemctl status NetworkManager

● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
          Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.d
                  └─NetworkManager-ovs.conf
          Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-05-24 10:42:34 EDT; 1h 2min ago
            Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
        Main PID: 1189 (NetworkManager)
           Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
          Memory: 17.9M
          CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
                  └─1189 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

Warning: some journal files were not opened due to insufficient permissions.

I am happy to provide any other info. I request your patience in walking through this. Always seems like the simplest "do this" items in posted in threads and Linux instructionals are not really so simple to the new folk like me.

Ultimately, I've read that the plan B is to just buy a device that is "plug and play" ready for OpenSUSE, but I'd really like to overcome this silly challenge without giving in to Plan B.

Default AW: 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

This is in the rtl8821au driver.

Install this file:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi....17.x86_64.rpm

Reboot.

After that, add this Repo to get e newly build driver after kernel update:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/

Default Re: AW: 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    This is in the rtl8821au driver.

Install this file:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi....17.x86_64.rpm

Reboot.
    Hello,

1st link error 404 "Resource is no longer available!". Went to https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...leweed/x86_64/ and downloaded via YaST:

rtl8812AU_8821AU-kmp-default-debuginfo-20200210_k5.6.14_1-4.19.x86_64.rpm

Note: YaST stated an integrity check failed, to which I selected "Ignore".

Will reboot and attempt step 3 momentarily.

After that, add this Repo to get e newly build driver after kernel update:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/
    How does one go about adding that Repo? When I click home:Sauerland:hardware.repo, I just get browser text. Do I need to enter commands into GNOME's Terminal or proceed in some other manner?

Thanks for the assist.

Default Re: 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

Ok, for step 3 -

I found "How to add a repo from your Terminal/Konsole": https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/446858

Code:
    Tim@localhost:~> sudo zypper ar -f https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/home:Sauerland:hardware.repo
    I'll reboot again and see what happens. At this point, what's the best way to verify that these steps were successful? I ask this in terms of Terminal/Konsole commands that I can use to verify the success.

Default Re: 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

Going to keep replying as a fumble through this...

I realized "rtl8812AU_8821AU-kmp-default-debuginfo-20200210_k5.6.14_1-4.19.x86_64.rpm" is likely the incorrect item. I removed it and added https://download.opensuse.org/reposi....19.x86_64.rpm instead. I hope that doing this after adding the .repo isn't a problem.

Rebooted.

Plugged in my Realtek USB wifi device and, for the first time since I started playing with OpenSUSE/Linux, was able to select a wifi signal and connect! Thanks so much, Sauerland.

Default AW: 0bda:0811 Realtek wifi usb device - Driver/firmware/wifi connection troubleshooting

Hello,

1st link error 404 "Resource is no longer available!". Went to https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...leweed/x86_64/ and downloaded via YaST:
    You have waited too long, so that there were updates of the Tumbleweed Kernel and the link is not correct anymore..........

But fine it is now working.