Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “zypper up” throws “Problem: cannot install both…”

Default AW: “zypper up” throws “Problem: cannot install both…”

zypper will give you the Solution:
    Problem: cannot install both k-module-source.version_4.12.14_95.51-2.x86_64 and k-module-source.version_4.12.14_122.20-3.x86_64

Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
    replacement of k-module-source.version_4.12.14_95.51-2.x86_64 with k-module-source.version_4.12.14_122.20-3.x86_64
    deinstallation of k-module-source.version_4.12.14_95.51-2.x86_64
    But as arvidjaar says:
    Post the complete output incl. the complete commandline and not any snipplet.

Default Re: “zypper up” throws “Problem: cannot install both…”

I'm sorry, for privacy reasons I can't post the output totally unmodified. But I can assure you nothing meaningful is being lost in the translation.

That being said, I understand if you don't want to spend time reading redacted output.

After some more investigation, I don't think the answers actually lie in the output. I did an experiment that I think offers a better clue.

I downloaded k-module as a local .rpm file.

I ran "zypper in ./k-module.rpm" and it failed with the "cannot install both" versions error. I then ran "rpm -i ./k-module.rpm" and it installed successfully.

This raises the question: what is "zypper in" doing differently than "rpm -i" and why would "zypper in" fail where "rpm -i" succeeds? The zypper documentation doesn't offer much help. If anyone knows anything, or can point me to any resources (including a specific spot in the source code), that would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by YachadBoss View Post
    I ran "zypper in ./k-module.rpm" and it failed with the "cannot install both" versions error. I then ran "rpm -i ./k-module.rpm" and it installed successfully.
    Again - post link to your RPM package.

Blog Entries

Generally Linux will tell you when a possibly significant change is going to be made, which is why you're warned and given options.
    If you had some reason to retain the old version, you wouldn't be happy if it was suddenly erased and replaced silently.

But,
    There are easy ways to perform silent upgrades, updates and installs if that is what you want.
    This is a common requirement for example when setting up machines using an install script when you don't want to be bothered with each and every decision...

I describe some of those configurations in my small collection of zypper code...

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/BASH_zypper

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12