Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Windows 10 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux and openSUSE?

Cool Will the Windows 10 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux and openSUSE?

Re-invoking the thread “Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?” – <https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...31#post2482631>
    Will Windows users disappointed with the new restrictive ways Microsoft have chosen switch to Linux permanently?

Good question – possibly still relevant with the current Redmond offering:
    • Windows 10 has a load of “Redmond is calling” and “the Redmond folks may well find this interesting” bits and pieces …
    • By default, Windows 10 feeds the user with world-wide news provided by msn – IOW, Microsoft has added a Newspaper business to it's portfolio …
    • Windows 10 patches and updates either happen without being noticed or, they interrupt the daily work being done …
    • Windows 10 upgrades from one major release to the next, often cause a number of Pro/Contra articles in the computer press and, occasionally, also in the “normal” press …
    • Personally, I doubt that, most Redmond users have realised that, Windows 10 has a built-in Bash shell and Linux runtime environment as a feature …
    • Yes, Windows 10 is by default, possibly, more secure than previous versions of the Redmond offering …
    • Going through Wikipedia's Windows 10 feature list:

– Available in 110 languages.
    – Platforms: IA-32, x86-64, ARMv7, ARM64.

Default Re: Will the Windows 10 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux and openSUSE?

I hope not. Nothing degrades as quickly as the universally popular...in my opinion.

I switched from Windows to Linux with Red Hat during the last century. Since then I have recommended and assisted in converting 12-15 users to Linux. Every single one has reverted to Windows. I stopped recommending. I have been happy with openSUSE since 9.3 although I do test other distros.

openSUSE works!

Default Re: Will the Windows 10 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux and openSUSE?

I don't think, many users will convert.
    In my experience the vast majority of users of an operating system / office package / ... are too lazy or unwilling, to "learn" an new OS / Office / ...
    They want to keep, what they know.

Hendrik

I am agree with user hendwolt.

Sadly, I hear that a lot of times:
    Why I would read the book? I saw the movie (or) I will wait for the movie.
    So, why should I learn Linux (and read a lot)? It is easier to hit "Next".

Cool Re: Will the Windows 10 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux and openSUSE?

I also field an awful amount of “Open Source” suspicion and mistrust – “If it ain't commercial, you can't trust it!” …

On the other hand, it's amazing how many Redmond users, use the Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird products for their Web activities and e-Mail …

“KDE Connect” is also available for the Redmond users – and the Cupertino user community …
    • I personally find that, the Redmond attempt to integrate Mobile Telephones to their desktop to be extremely distasteful – they replaced my Android GUI with something they felt would be “better” – IMHO, it isn't …
    • KDE Connect on KDE Plasma is however, the absolute Mobile Telephone integration hammer – at least for Android telephones …
    • If you have an Apple environment (pure – Mac and iPhone) then, that integration is comparable to the integration achieved by the KDE Connect team …

Office applications:
    • The number of Redmond users who prefer OpenOffice and LibreOffice to the Redmond equivalent, is quite amazing.

If you ever want to have a really bad Redmond experience, work for a company who believes that “Share Point” contributes positively to the managed interchange of data between employees/teams/groups/departments …

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I also field an awful amount of “Open Source” suspicion and mistrust – “If it ain't commercial, you can't trust it!” …
    That's fair.

I would add: If it is commercial, you can't trust it.

Or, in summary, "if it is software, you can't trust it". And I suppose we should add "if it is hardware, you can't trust it."
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

No they won't. Like 8 did not. Like the Raspberry Pi did not. Like WSL 2.0 will not. My 3 cents.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Windows has its dominant place in the commercial ecosystem - I really can't see that changing no matter what the criticisms/risks/issues etc. There are too many enterprise software packages in common use that require it ie a lot of 'software inertia' to keep propagating it's requirement. However, in my job as a network engineer for a company providing mobile radio and associated desktop dispatch services, I (and my sys admin colleague) do make use of open source (via Linux environments) for monitoring, provisioning, and config backup purposes.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Hi
    Alas, I use WinX for some tools (Alarm panels, Electronic locks and Security Camera tools), always have to make sure the system is all up to date before heading out as it's a pain with updating and don't need that happening on site...grrrrrrr

I don't see how folks put up with it on a day to day basis....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Alas, I use WinX for some tools (Alarm panels, Electronic locks and Security Camera tools), always have to make sure the system is all up to date before heading out as it's a pain with updating and don't need that happening on site...grrrrrrr
    Yes, I ensure updates are done prior to site visits (especially remote high sites) or crucial work has to be done.

I don't see how folks put up with it on a day to day basis....
    Truth be told, I haven't been impacted that much by my work laptop with Windows 10 installed. Yes, there are updates, but I'm offered to have them install outside of work hours etc, and I usually do so when at home. That said, I still prefer the overall security and reliability of my Linux environments.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast