Thread: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file

Default error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file

Hello,
    I am very new to linux. I tried to build lammps open source software with make mpi command on opensuse leap 15.1.
    lammps - https://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/Build_make.html
    It shows an error: mpicxx xommand not found.
    after searching i did "sudo zypper in gcc-c++" and tried again.
    same error
    so I did "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin"
    and make mpi was successful and it built lmp_mpi executable but when i tried to run with lmp_mpi it shows following error:

error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file

so I wrote "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin" in my bashrc file and run again make mpi,
    and tried. same error is shown.
    I tried by installying mpich2 with yast same error is shown.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Default Re: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such f

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums

This is General Chitchat, which is described as:
    A friendly place to converse about your adventures with openSUSE, your weekend, your boss, your new car, and generally stuff that doesn't fit somewhere else (and we must ask: PLEASE do not post help questions here)
    I assume you want this seriuosly studied and answered. So I will move thsi from General Chtchat to Applications.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such f

Quote Originally Posted by suryabteja View Post
    Your first mistake was to think that you need to compile anything - you don't. LAMMPS is available in the repositories.

You can install the repository where the LAMMPS is pre-compiled for you and install the whole thing with:
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar -f https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/science.repo
    sudo zypper ref
    sudo zypper in lammps
    Note, it will ask you to "Trust the key" when running zypper ref - you'll want to answer "A" for "Always" here. It's the signing key for the repository.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net

Thanks for the suggestion. I want to build lammps with a user defined package that works for mpi build only.

Show
    Code:
    mpi-selector --list

Cool Re: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such f

I am very new to linux.
    I want to build lammps with a user defined package that works for mpi build only.
    Being very new to Linux, you may well be unaware that, Linux software packages, regardless of the packaging method (RPM or APT), have dependencies to other packages – there are very few packages which do not rely on libraries and executables provided by other packages.
    • Therefore, before building anything, you need to ensure that, the build and compilation environment is in place.

For the case of openSUSE, there are “Patterns”, such as “patterns-devel-C-C++-devel_C_C++” and “patterns-devel-base-devel_basis” – the Patterns are visible in the “Patterns” tab of the YaST Software Management.

• Before attempting to customise any pre-built packages, you are well advised to simply install the package you wish to customise from the openSUSE Repositories – to insure that, any required dependencies have also been installed – and then, perform the customised build to replace the executables provided by the openSUSE package.

openSUSE documentation related to Software Management is available here: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...-software.html>.

Linux (and UNIX®) Software Administration tends to concentrate on the groups of software packages related to a specific task to be done – individual packages are simply a detail within the larger dependencies view …

To OP:

It is goog that you add path
    Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin
    Make next step - add path:
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64
    or if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is clean:
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64

libmpi_cxx.so* libraries are in /usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64/ .

It is better to add your experience here from another forums: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...mand-not-found

surya@linux-83yw:~> mpi-selector --list
    mpich
    openmpi

Direct installation of lammps from opensuse repositories installs only the serial executable.
    While my build require mpi executable.

How can to check the location of softwares installed directly from the opensuse repositories

surya@linux-83yw:~> mpi-selector --list
    mpich
    openmpi
    Use code tags "CODE" - press "#" button on second row, right end.

Direct installation of lammps from opensuse repositories installs only the serial executable.
    While my build require mpi executable.
    Uninstall it. Use code from https://github.com/lammps/lammps .

How can to check the location of softwares installed directly from the opensuse repositories

With YaST select needed package , then selest tab "File list".

To compile:

Install openmpi (package openmpi-devel is needed) or mpich.

Then execute
    Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin
    cd "To-your-folder-with-lammps/src"
    make mpi
    To run:
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64
    cd "To-your-folder-with-lammps/src"
    lmp_mpi
    With
    Code:
    mpi-selector
    select needed MPI compiler - openmpi or mpich.

I tried it with openmpi, and it worked.