Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The move to the Nuremberg infrastructure – member's IP address

Exclamation The move to the Nuremberg infrastructure – member's IP address

As part of the move, the associated SUSE account is also moving – for me, right now.
    • After the activation of my newly established SUSE account and, logging out and then logging back in again, an IP address related e-mail popped up:

Your SUSE Account xxxx@online.de was just used to sign-in from a new or unrecognized device, browser, or application.

Sign-In Details
    FIREFOX - Linux
    Wednesday, May 6, 2020
    Munich, Bavaria, Germany
    IP: 87.123.xxx.yyy

Don't recognize this activity?
    Your account may have been compromised; we recommend reporting the suspicious activity to your organization.

Ahem!!!
    Boy, have I got news for you!
    • My IP address changes at least once per day, thanks either to, my ISP – United Internet – or, the backbone network – Deutsche Telekom …

Code:
    06.05.20 05:41:52 Internetverbindung wurde erfolgreich hergestellt. IPv4 wird über DS-Lite genutzt. AFTR-Gateway: aftr.mun1901bihr001.versatel.de, IPv4-MTU: 1500, Breitband-PoP: mun1901bihr001, LineID: 1UND1.DEU.DTAG.6XASE.
    06.05.20 05:41:48 Die Internetverbindung wird kurz unterbrochen, um der Zwangstrennung durch den Anbieter zuvorzukommen.

05.05.20 05:43:00 Internetverbindung wurde erfolgreich hergestellt. IPv4 wird über DS-Lite genutzt. AFTR-Gateway: aftr.mun1901bihr001.versatel.de, IPv4-MTU: 1500, Breitband-PoP: mun1901bihr001, LineID: 1UND1.DEU.DTAG.6XASE.
    05.05.20 05:42:56 Die Internetverbindung wird kurz unterbrochen, um der Zwangstrennung durch den Anbieter zuvorzukommen.

I hope that, I won't be receiving a daily e-Mail informing that, my IP address has changed and, THAT'S SUSPICIOUS

Blog Entries

Default Re: The move to the Nuremberg infrastructure – member's IP address

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I hope that, I won't be receiving a daily e-Mail informing that, my IP address has changed and, THAT'S SUSPICIOUS
    Are you deleting all cookies when you close browser? It might be using cookies and IP for tracking.

Maybe a bug report is needed, but I suggest you let things settle down for a few days before trying that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 Beta; KDE Plasma 5;

I got the same mail, but as I in fact do never login there, I do not care. (apart from the fact that I got a fixed IP address from my ISP, to which I may attach a domain name).

How much do you log in there?

I am not sure that we should worry now already about the new login in the openSUSE forums on the base of the new login for SUSE.
    Henk van Velden

Exclamation Re: The move to the Nuremberg infrastructure – member's IP address

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Are you deleting all cookies when you close browser?
    Yes.
    • IMHO, keeping cookies is only useful if, you only ever access a single URL.
    • Keeping cookies is, AFAICS, an attribute of people who don't care about what other people can, if they want to and, try hard enough, glean about their habits.

Keeping cookies or not, what most people don't realise is, that at least here, a subscriber's IP traffic, is initially transported via the ISP's private (telecommunications) network to a Router which physically connects to “the Internet” – in my case it seems to be ALP-IX in Munich, which is owned by DE-CIX – a rather small company which, “only” handles a daily average of 4.8 Tbit/s traffic at their main Internet exchange point located in Frankfurt-am-Main.
    • Therefore, attempting to track a normal DSL subscriber's IP address is, IMHO, one of the most futile exercises on this planet …

Unless, you have the power to infiltrate the likes of United Internet and Deutsche Telekom

Talking Re: The move to the Nuremberg infrastructure – member's IP address

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    apart from the fact that I got a fixed IP address from my ISP, to which I may attach a domain name
    If, you're not in the business of running a Web Server located at your site, AFAICS, there's very little point in paying your ISP for the privilege of having a fixed IP address.
    • If you wish to access your DSL Router from anywhere in the world, a fixed IP address can ease this exercise but, there are other solutions to this issue for private “at home” subscribers – such as Dynamic DNS services …
    • Personally, my wife and I have two registered Internet Domains and associated Web Servers which are maintained by the our ISP, at the ISP's premises …
    • Our ISP also, supplies a “Cloud” as part of the normal monthly bill; this is accessible world-wide given that, access has been set up and, the access credentials have been set up.
    • Our E-Mail accounts, which are services provided by our ISP, are also accessible world-wide.

Bottom line, for private “household” ISP subscribers, I can see absolutely no need for fixed IP addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    apart from the fact that I got a fixed IP address from my ISP,
    Almost forgot another point:
    • The IPv4 address my ISP has assigned to me, is, AFAIK, not uniquely assigned to me.

The wonders of IPv4 routing allow that, more than a few users within the network which assigned that IPv4 address, all use that address for their IP traffic …

If, you're not in the business of running a Web Server located at your site, AFAICS, there's very little point in paying your ISP for the privilege of having a fixed IP address.
    Bottom line, for private “household” ISP subscribers, I can see absolutely no need for fixed IP addresses.
    My ISP simply provides me this. I have not asked for it or ordered it, nor do I find it specified on my monthly bill. It is simply in their basic package.

And yes, when I ever want to run a web sever from my home, I can so without asking them for specific actions. I have already connected the host-domain name (which is of course within their domain) to my IP address long ago (can be done from their server pages). I only have to forward port 80 from my router to the sysem which runs Apache (now only serving inside my LAN).

But I feel no need until now because another feature that is inside the package offered is some disk space (the same place where my mail kept is before I download it). I can manage there using webdav access and thus through Dolphin. I can put web pages there that are then accessable through an URL provided by them. That is enough for the time being.

Enough to show you how you can move a house to another place in the village: https://hcvv.home.xs4all.nl/Moving-a-house.jpg
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Yes.
    • IMHO, keeping cookies is only useful if, you only ever access a single URL.
    • Keeping cookies is, AFAICS, an attribute of people who don't care about what other people can, if they want to and, try hard enough, glean about their habits.
    If you log into a site, then they can track you by the fact that you login. Deleting cookies doesn't really do anything there, except make it harder to login.

That's likely why they tell you that you signed in from a new or unrecognized device.

My practice is to keep cookies from sites where I login, but delete most of the others.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 Beta; KDE Plasma 5;

My practice is to keep cookies from sites where I login, but delete most of the others.
    Same here. In most cases the username is already filled then. But as the Firefox password manager can also fill that in, I am not sure if that is realy needed.

In any case the openSUSE forums are not in the list because they only use session cookies, thus there is no need to keep non-session cookies.

Even if I allow cookies from sites I often login to stay after the session, that is not the case for third party cookies they may try to set.
    Henk van Velden

• Therefore, attempting to track a normal DSL subscriber's IP address is, IMHO, one of the most futile exercises on this planet …
    Exactly, much easier to track inherent properties of our devices, like installed fonts, screen size, audio context, etc.

If you log into a site, then they can track you by the fact that you login. Deleting cookies doesn't really do anything there, except make it harder to login.
    And captchas.... they become a real PITA.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast