Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE Forums moving to Nuremberg infrastructure!

Blog Entries

Exclamation openSUSE Forums moving to Nuremberg infrastructure!

Hi All
    We and this vBulletin instance are going to move from the MicroFocus infrastructure to the openSUSE Heroes maintained infrastructure on or about the 18th of May, 2020. At that time the forums will be read-only so we can backup, move and restore data.

How long will the move take, we expect a few days, but don't have a definitive time frame. The Heroes and Forum teams have done some preparation, in that we have a test instance up and can import the data once transferred, one of the main issues is authentication once we break from MicroFocus and Access Gateway.

Impact: It is likely that a password reset (maybe multiple) will be required. Once we are closer to the end solution we will update with more details.

While we are on the move, here is a small list of additional resources available to you all during the move;

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels

Mailing lists;

For Tumbleweed issues - opensuse-factory ML
    Archive: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/

For Leap and anything else - opensuse-support ML
    Archive: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-support/

IRC and Matrix
    There are a plethora of openSUSE channels on IRC (See Communications Channels) but we also have our own #openSUSE-Forums on Freenode as well as a matrix bridge, if you use the likes of Fractal or the web and matrix.org. Joining via matrix is as simple as: !join chat.freenode.net #opensuse-forums

Unhappy Re: openSUSE Forums moving to Nuremberg infrastructure!

Wow! That probably means that I shouldn't keep the login details under the header "Novell logins" any more. 27 years of tradition gone!

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;2934142]Hi All
    We and this vBulletin instance are going to move from the MicroFocus infrastructure to the openSUSE Heroes maintained infrastructure on or about the 18th of May, 2020.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE Forums moving to Nuremberg infrastructure!

Quote Originally Posted by msohnius View Post
    Wow! That probably means that I shouldn't keep the login details under the header "Novell logins" any more. 27 years of tradition gone!
    Lots of water under the bridge since then...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/15/su...ndent-company/
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Hi All
    We have moved the date for the Forums to go read-only! It is now scheduled for Sunday May 10th, timing around midnight Central Daylight Time (Monday May 11th UTC 5:00am).

Impact, you will still be able to login, search etc but won't be able to create new threads or reply to current threads.

Once the forum data has been transferred to the new vBulletin instance and checked, the Heroes team will look at DNS changes to get forums.o.o pointing at the new instance, which at this point will be a static version (no login etc).

Once authentication is sorted (including any password resets), login can be enabled and things will be back to normal Final timing on the authentication is still not confirmed.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Wow, that would mean the forum gets hosted only twenty kilometers from where I live? Let me know if there is anything I could help with.
    My public-transportation abonnement for VGN expires in June. Until then, I may as well get my hands dirty with some server stuff.

According to the mail I got
    On May 5th, your SUSE account will migrate over to a new system that will require you to activate your account and create a new password.
    What happens with forum access then? Right now it is redirecting to microfocus; as I understand from 5th of May microfocus will not be used anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    What happens with forum access then? Right now it is redirecting to microfocus; as I understand from 5th of May microfocus will not be used anymore.
    I'm assuming that everything will continue as normal, but using the newly created password (and without microfocus). But that's just a guess. We will find out what actually happens when it happens.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 Beta; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    According to the mail I gotWhat happens with forum access then? Right now it is redirecting to microfocus; as I understand from 5th of May microfocus will not be used anymore.
    Hi
    The openSUSE forums will continue to use Microfocus, after the Forum is moved it will likely be an openSUSE infrastructure login, all separate.... or it could be combined with SUSE.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I hope that the login will not be short time like on Microfocus. I hate to login 3 times a day to post.
    Most other forums allow you to stay logged in forever.
    VirtualBox, Mint Linux, Ridgeline Owners. CR-V Owners Forums - all allow me to stay logged in forever (until they upgrade their forum to the newest version of vBulletin).
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    I hope that the login will not be short time like on Microfocus. I hate to login 3 times a day to post.
    Most other forums allow you to stay logged in forever.
    VirtualBox, Mint Linux, Ridgeline Owners. CR-V Owners Forums - all allow me to stay logged in forever (until they upgrade their forum to the newest version of vBulletin).
    This advice might be a bit late because we are now on the brink of changing.
    I always have one page of the openSUSE forums (mostly the main page) open in my browser as long as I am loged in in the system. Then you normaly are not thrown out.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast