Thread: shlib-policy-excessive-dependency. Do I really need to split the package?

Default shlib-policy-excessive-dependency. Do I really need to split the package?

I have been trying to build nuspell, almost there.
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s..._great/nuspell

I got 1 warning:
    libnuspell3.x86_64: W: shlib-policy-excessive-dependency libboost_locale.so.1.71.0
    [ 23s] Your package starts with 'lib' as part of its name, but also contains binaries
    [ 23s] that have more dependencies than those that already required by the libraries.
    [ 23s] Those binaries should probably not be part of the library package, but split
    [ 23s] into a seperate one to reduce the additional dependencies for other users of
    [ 23s] this library.

Which I found out that the problematic file is %{_bindir}/nuspell under %files -n libnuspell3
    The file %{_bindir}/nuspell indeed have dependency on libboost_locale.so.1.71.0.

It ask me to split into different package. But what should that package be name as? Should it have dependency on libnuspell3?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: shlib-policy-excessive-dependency. Do I really need to split the package?

Quote Originally Posted by andythe_great View Post
    I have been trying to build nuspell, almost there.
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s..._great/nuspell

I got 1 warning:
    libnuspell3.x86_64: W: shlib-policy-excessive-dependency libboost_locale.so.1.71.0
    [ 23s] Your package starts with 'lib' as part of its name, but also contains binaries
    [ 23s] that have more dependencies than those that already required by the libraries.
    [ 23s] Those binaries should probably not be part of the library package, but split
    [ 23s] into a seperate one to reduce the additional dependencies for other users of
    [ 23s] this library.

Which I found out that the problematic file is %{_bindir}/nuspell under %files -n libnuspell3
    The file %{_bindir}/nuspell indeed have dependency on libboost_locale.so.1.71.0.

It ask me to split into different package. But what should that package be name as? Should it have dependency on libnuspell3?
    Thanks.
    Hi
    Package it under the package name 'nuspell' it should pick up the requires on the lib (look at the build log).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: shlib-policy-excessive-dependency. Do I really need to split the package?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Package it under the package name 'nuspell' it should pick up the requires on the lib (look at the build log).
    Alright, Thank.

But would having package name libnuspell and nuspell be confusing? Should I make it dependent of each other?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andythe_great View Post
    Alright, Thank.

But would having package name libnuspell and nuspell be confusing? Should I make it dependent of each other?
    Hi
    No, installing nuspell should if it's working correctly should pull in libnuspell, test by installing libnuspell and if the binary is needed, then add a requires here eg;

Code:
    Requires: nuspell = %{version}
    Again, check the build log as it tells you in the final part what requires what (look at the log from 97 seconds on).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    No, installing nuspell should if it's working correctly should pull in libnuspell, test by installing libnuspell and if the binary is needed, then add a requires here eg;

Code:
    Requires: nuspell = %{version}
    Again, check the build log as it tells you in the final part what requires what (look at the log from 97 seconds on).
    Oh Thanks.

I check and indeed it pull libnuspell.