Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly KMail can not send e-mails: "Remote host closed the connection".

Cool Suddenly KMail can not send e-mails: "Remote host closed the connection".

I am working with OpenSUSE for 15 years now, and I solved lots of problems. This one is puzzling me, however. Suddenly, in KMail, I cannot send mails anymore: "The remote host closed the connection". I did not change anything in the settings. The problem is the same on all six of my computers here in my house. But it is not the provider's fault (Proximus, formerly Skynet) because in their webmail application I can send e-mails without any problem. It all began yesterday 17th April: I sent two messages which did NOT reach their destination, and since then every time I try to send, I get the same message: "Message could not be sent. The remote host closed the connection". Restarting my Bbox-3 router did not help. I played with the KMail settings, without any effect. The settings are: SMTP-server = relay.skynet.be -- no authentification required -- no encryption -- port 25 -- "LOGIN". Changing any of these does not help one bit: relay.proximus.be , or setting the authentification, or an encryption, changing the port to 465 or 587, or "LOGIN" to "PLAIN" : nothing works. I don't suspect a recent update to be the culprit, because this also happens on my other PC's that were not yet updated when I tried them. Receiving e-mails works flawlessly, and Akregator is working fine too. What is happening? Thanks to everybody who can help me out ...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suddenly KMail can not send e-mails: "Remote host closed the connection".

Perhaps your IP address has been blacklisted for some reason? You could contact your email provider about that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suddenly KMail can not send e-mails: "Remote host closed the connection".

Review their support page to start with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Working_Fleming View Post
    I am working with OpenSUSE for 15 years now, and I solved lots of problems. This one is puzzling me, however. Suddenly, in KMail, I cannot send mails anymore: "The remote host closed the connection". I did not change anything in the settings. The problem is the same on all six of my computers here in my house. But it is not the provider's fault (Proximus, formerly Skynet) because in their webmail application I can send e-mails without any problem. It all began yesterday 17th April: I sent two messages which did NOT reach their destination, and since then every time I try to send, I get the same message: "Message could not be sent. The remote host closed the connection". Restarting my Bbox-3 router did not help. I played with the KMail settings, without any effect. The settings are: SMTP-server = relay.skynet.be -- no authentification required -- no encryption -- port 25 -- "LOGIN". Changing any of these does not help one bit: relay.proximus.be , or setting the authentification, or an encryption, changing the port to 465 or 587, or "LOGIN" to "PLAIN" : nothing works. I don't suspect a recent update to be the culprit, because this also happens on my other PC's that were not yet updated when I tried them. Receiving e-mails works flawlessly, and Akregator is working fine too. What is happening? Thanks to everybody who can help me out ...
    I found connections set up by kmail to be unstable for some reason. There is an easy fix. Set up an email server: https://karlmistelberger.wordpress.c...nsuse-desktop/
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

I have no idea why you have started this in the Dutch languiage section. Luckily it seems that many English language people are nevertheless trying to help you

But I will move this to the English language section to give it a better exposure (and to keep the Dutch section as such).
    Last edited by hcvv; 18-Apr-2020 at 03:56.
    Henk van Velden

Cool Re: Suddenly KMail can not send e-mails: "Remote host closed the connection".

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Perhaps your IP address has been blacklisted for some reason? You could contact your email provider about that.
    I did that, and I'm not blacklisted. That's why I can send mail through their webmail, in by Chromium browser.

Blog Entries

The settings are: SMTP-server = relay.skynet.be -- no authentification required -- no encryption -- port 25 -- "LOGIN". Changing any of these does not help one bit: relay.proximus.be , or setting the authentification, or an encryption, changing the port to 465 or 587, or "LOGIN" to "PLAIN" : nothing works.
    The page I linked to earlier mentions...
    Server for incoming e-mail:
    • Address: imap.proximus.be
    • Port: 993
    • Security: SSL

Server for outgoing e-mail:
    • address: relay.proximus.be
    • Port: 587
    • Security: STARTTLS, TLS or SSL

For both the incoming and outgoing server, you must enter your complete e-mail address and the password of your mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Review their support page to start with.
    I spoke with their technician for half an hour on the phone, he doesn't see any provider problems, and through their webmail I can send without problems. Seems to be something from my side.

Blog Entries

Do you have another mail client or mobile device (eg smart phone) available to test the account with?

Blog Entries

Also, try
    Code:
    telnet relay.proximus.be 587
    You should get something like
    Code:
    ~> telnet relay.proximus.be 587
    Trying 195.238.20.30...
    Connected to relay.proximus.be.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220-smtp.skynet.be ESMTP
    220 Belgacom relay service - authentication required!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast