Thread: Wayland alternatives to X11 commands

Default Wayland alternatives to X11 commands

Since Wayland had a few years to mature and last time I tried it Plasma / KWin didn't crash immediately, I'm hoping to start using it permanently at some point in the near future. There's just one problem: I occasionally use some X11 utilities which would then become obsolete. A few examples at hand of stuff I worked with:

• x11vnc: I enable this and let it run in the background when I go away, in case I might need the ability to use remote desktop on my PC from there.
    • xrandr: I use this occasionally to adjust monitors, such as enabling a VR headset to run in the desktop and mirror my screen.
    • xset: Had to use this recently to debug monitor standby not working, and it seems to have other system uses too.

I was wondering if there's a list of Wayland alternative to those X11 commands and more, so if I need to do anything I did in X I can do it in WL too. At least the replacement for xrandr would be good to be aware of, others I can probably handle in time.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wayland alternatives to X11 commands

Hi
    For X11vnc I see;

Code:
    Wayland sessions are as of now only supported via -rawfb and the bundled deskshot utility.
    Ref: https://github.com/LibVNC/x11vnc/blo...r/src/x11vnc.c

For xset and xrandr is a nope AFAIK... wayland equivalents unlikely...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Wayland relies on the display device EDID obtained via the KMS driver (as does Xorg). If for some reason that is invalid (or missing) then generating a custom edid.bin (with the desired display resolution) may be necessary. It can then be loaded at boot with the appropriate boot parameter.

That is explained well here
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...modes_and_EDID

Bug report describing similar...
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105804
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    xset: Had to use this recently to debug monitor standby not working, and it seems to have other system uses too.
    With Wayland the desktop environment should be capable of controlling DPMS directly without any need for such a utility. Have you checked KDE Plasma behaviour?

openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    For X11vnc I see;

Code:
    Wayland sessions are as of now only supported via -rawfb and the bundled deskshot utility.
    Ref: https://github.com/LibVNC/x11vnc/blo...r/src/x11vnc.c

For xset and xrandr is a nope AFAIK... wayland equivalents unlikely...
    I see... might be a slight problem. I thought the Configure Desktop - Hardware - Display and Monitor - Display Configuration page also used a command I could access from the console under WL, just in case I ever need that ability.

Of course the only ongoing reason why I NEED xrandr in X11 is to get my cheap VR headset working: I have to use the command --set "non-desktop" "0" to get the system to accept it as a normal monitor I can mirror the screen to... as there's no mainstream VR library in Linux / openSUSE yet, using it like a standard monitor at least allows watching stereoscopic content with side-by-side separation in full screen. I noticed that on a WL session this is not needed however: The headset shows up as a display device immediately, which is the behavior I prefer too as it offers the best flexibility for use cases like this. Is that going to remain the case from now on too, or is Wayland also going to (pointlessly) hide headsets from the display section later on? If not then an xrandr alt won't be a requirement.

And x11vnc will still work? I thought everything with x11 in its name is bound to stop working on WayLand. Might give it a go when I try the WL session again.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    With Wayland the desktop environment should be capable of controlling DPMS directly without any need for such a utility. Have you checked KDE Plasma behaviour?
    Good to know, thanks. A bit unertain what the difference is but that definitely sounds better. I only needed to mess with DPMS due to monitor standby not working well in X11 when using a DisplayPort cable... spoke about that in this thread if anyone's curious. I'm hoping that switching to Wayland will solve this annoyance as well since it will use a new power management system, I'll find out once I give it a try. I'm assuming amdgpu power management for controlling GPU clocks / fans will continue to work normally on that note?

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    And x11vnc will still work?
    There are multiple projects aiming at desktop sharing under Wayland, but I guess there is no universal solution. Lot of links in https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22178011. May be you can pick up something

Current hype appears to be pipewire (at least it seems to work with major desktops - GDM/KDE).

Blog Entries

Be aware that many of those Wayland related warnings may be out of date.
    Recommend testing, general documentation I've been reading for the past year or so suggest that Xvnc should run fine without problems with Wayland (I haven't done extensive testing to confirm).
    AFAIK X11 in general is not specific to xorg, and settings should work in Wayland, too.

The situation to be aware of is when an app requires access specifically to an X server and not deployed as something else like a service.
    In that case, there is a Wayland X server option which can be set up and tried.

If you're looking specifically at VNC,
    I'd point you to a very rough draft of information I've collected that is intended to fill in the gaps in the openSUSE LEAP documentation... It cannot be used in place of the LEAP documentation but covers a lot of supplemental ground to better understand how VNC is supposed to work nowadays, setup options and in general gain a better understanding. As a very, very rough initial draft there is likely plenty of technical inaccuracies but I feel confident the concepts and topics are pretty solid.

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/re...nistration_VNC

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Very useful to keep in mind, thanks. If worst comes to worst, I take it Krfb will still work in providing a remote desktop server: I remember using it in the past, but for some reason switched to x11vnc due to some issues (can no longer remember which as it's been many years).