Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Modprobe device command not permanent

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Unhappy Modprobe device command not permanent

    Modprobe r8169 command works fine, but when I reboot, it loses the config.

    How do I make it permanent?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    Modprobe r8169 command works fine, but when I reboot, it loses the config.

    How do I make it permanent?
    Here you go...
    Code:
    man modules-load.d
    Code:
    man modprobe.d
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Here you go...
    Code:
    man modules-load.d
    Code:
    man modprobe.d
    Thanks so much for the quick response.
    Tried what the man said, but it didn't work.
    Code:
    vi /etc/udev/rules/70-persistent-net.rules
    shows the ethenet installed from a manual config, so I deleted all network devices (Have a wifi card that I don't use anymore) from the file , saved it, rebooted and now in that file is only the wifi, not the ethernet. Why doesn't udev find my ethernet card like it used to?
    Kernel Version: 5.5.11-lp151.28-13-default

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    Thanks so much for the quick response.
    Tried what the man said, but it didn't work.
    Code:
    vi /etc/udev/rules/70-persistent-net.rules
    ??? Where did you read that? Add the module like this eg /etc/modules-load.d/20-custom.conf
    Code:
    # Load r8169.ko at boot
    r8169
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    BTW, ordinarily I would expect this module to load automatically. You should show us what is reported by the following
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    BTW, ordinarily I would expect this module to load automatically. You should show us what is reported by the following
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    Code:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 [8086:0010]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
            Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    --
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8677]
            Kernel driver in use: r8169
            Kernel modules: r8169
    

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    Code:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 [8086:0010]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
            Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    --
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8677]
            Kernel driver in use: r8169
            Kernel modules: r8169
    
    The above was AFTER modprobe r8169

    This below is BEFORE modprobe r8169 but AFTER reboot
    Code:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 [8086:0010]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
            Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    --
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8677]
            Kernel modules: r8169
    Also, 20-custom-config didn't work, so I copied 20-custom-config to /usr/lib/modules-load.d/
    Still have to reboot to see if it worked

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    ??? Where did you read that? Add the module like this eg /etc/modules-load.d/20-custom.conf
    Code:
    # Load r8169.ko at boot
    r8169
    I noticed that i named the file 20-custom-config instead of 20-custom.config. Fixed it and rebooting now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    The above was AFTER modprobe r8169

    This below is BEFORE modprobe r8169 but AFTER reboot
    Code:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 [8086:0010]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
            Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    --
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8677]
            Kernel modules: r8169
    Also, 20-custom-config didn't work, so I copied 20-custom-config to /usr/lib/modules-load.d/
    Still have to reboot to see if it worked
    The module is loading at boot as expected (based on the above). You don't need to do anything explicitly.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Modprobe device command not permanent

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    I noticed that i named the file 20-custom-config instead of 20-custom.config. Fixed it and rebooting now.
    The files need to have *.conf naming. However, you don't need to do this explicitly.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •