Thread: KDE 3 Revival

Default KDE 3 Revival

Hello!

How to start a KDE 3 session? I mean, which window manager should I choose as default in etc/sysconfig-Editor?
    At the moment it is default in.

Why KDE 3?
    KDE Plasma is really to heavy for my old netbook. When I noticed, the KDE 3 repository is maintained again
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_15.1/
    I thought, I try this.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE 3 Revival

I cannot comment on KDE3, since I don't use that. However, I'll point out that you might need to use
    Code:
    update-alternative --config
    for the settings you want. Some of those settings have been moved from "/etc/sysconfig".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

I suggest you don't, rather disable compositing / desktop effects on Plasma5. Actually with all the improvements made over the last year, Plasma5 is one of the lighter desktops. I've just done a setup for a friend on an old laptop with 2 GB RAM, early i3, 32 GB SSD, and was amazed to see how well it performs without compositing.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

KDE3 with kdebase3-kdm on openSUSE never stopped being my primary (actually only, if the always installed by default fallback IceWM is not counted) DE and DM on my primary PC, which runs 24/7. Official KDE3 support stopped much too long ago to remember, but unofficial support remains. It has at least one unfixed bug, but it's a mere nuisance, not a real problem. I agree you should do as nrickert recommended.

My experience with Plasma on my older test PCs is it takes a seeming eternity to start, depending on monstrous cache files to either load or build, straining the capacity of older I/O systems. Switching to SSD HD from SATA rotating rust can't help as much as you might think, because only a portion of their potential throughput can be utilized by the SATA 1 or 2 controllers in older PCs.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    My experience with Plasma on my older test PCs is it takes a seeming eternity to start, depending on monstrous cache files to either load or build, straining the capacity of older I/O systems.
    Yes, my experience is the same. Plasma is slow starting, but runs quite efficiently once it is up and running.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    ...runs quite efficiently once it is up and running
    if not constrained by hardware limiting installed RAM to 2GB or less. 2GB is KDE's own recommended minimum. Definitely upgrade at least to 2GB if not already there.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Unless you particularly want KDE3 applications, an alternative is to install Plasma and then add LXQt (https://johnrhudson.me.uk/computing/Adventures_LXQt.pdf) which happily integrates all the recent KDE applications. This runs on my 2007 Dell notebook at virtually the same speed as on my new all-in-one desktop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Unless you particularly want KDE3 applications, an alternative is to install Plasma and then add LXQt (https://johnrhudson.me.uk/computing/Adventures_LXQt.pdf) which happily integrates all the recent KDE applications. This runs on my 2007 Dell notebook at virtually the same speed as on my new all-in-one desktop.
    Unless you really want Plasma components, there is no need to install it.
    When you install LXQt, you'll automatically install the exact same Qt framework used by KDE, so although you're given a selection of recommended apps by default, you should also be able to install practically anything from KDE with minimal additional dependencies... Unlike for example if you had installed XFCE or Gnome, in those cases you could end up pulling in enormous numbers of libraries if the app is built using some other library than Gtk.

If you want to go ultra minimal,
    Then you can forgo a DE altogether and install only a WM.
    The default IceWM which is part of every default openSUSE install is a pretty good stacking Windows Manager by itself.
    Many others are available in the OSS if you want to try any (or all) of them, none of them will install enormous libraries like the Qt or Gtk frameworks, you're free to build your own graphical environment almost from scratch. I've experimented a bit with OpenBox, FVWM2, Awesome, and a few others I don't remember at the moment. They're all fine and usually are configured or themed by default to give you a bit of a head start compared to if you had installed those in some other distro.

BTW - And this is important...
    Switching DE and WM is no longer done in /etc/sysconfig, although the YaST tool still exists, it doesn't do anything.
    You now switch using the Alternatives system, or better yet simply logout and on the logon screen you'll find a dropdown menu that will list all installed options. After you've made your selection, that will become default until you switch again.

HTH and have fun experimenting...
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Many thanks to you all form the contributions!

Well, my old netbook is an ASUS Eee PC 1005PX with Intel Atom N450 CPU. Some years ago I upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2 GB, the Mass-Device is a SATA2 hard drive (250 GB) yet.
    Maybe I'll substitute the hard drive with a SSD in the next time. Because the corona virus I cannot work and have to stay at home (here in Europe almost everywhere): sadly I have now more time for "amusements"

I had already tested KDE Plasma with the openSUSE 12.x. It needed a lot of time to start each program, also without compositing.

As I had already installed openSUSE Tumbleweed (the 32bit version because Atom N450) with Xfce desktop. After I provided the system with kdebase3-kdm and the other KDE programs, I often use (f.o.a. PIM and KMyMoney).
    I needn't give the string update-alternative --config, only choose "KDE3" from the dropdown menu on logon screen.

In the next days, I'll configure and try any programs ...

Thank you all again for support

BTW, I have never understood the supposed advantages of Plasma. But this is another item.

I wish you to stay healthy !!!