Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    The etrex 30x readily automounts, but there is a long wait with mounting its additional memory card:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # journalctl -b 0 _KERNEL_SUBSYSTEM=usb --output short-monotonic 
    [10610.468816] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
    [10610.596997] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [10610.804812] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [10611.012801] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 4, error -71
    [10677.741956] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
    [10677.890843] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [10677.890850] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [10677.890853] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxx
    [10677.914463] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    erlangen:~ #
    The mount finally succeeds, but the wait is annoying. Any idea?
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,090
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    The etrex 30x readily automounts, but there is a long wait with mounting its additional memory card:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # journalctl -b 0 _KERNEL_SUBSYSTEM=usb --output short-monotonic 
    [10610.468816] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
    [10610.596997] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [10610.804812] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [10611.012801] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 4, error -71
    [10677.741956] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
    [10677.890843] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [10677.890850] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [10677.890853] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxx
    [10677.914463] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    erlangen:~ #
    The mount finally succeeds, but the wait is annoying. Any idea?
    Hi
    A protocol error;

    Code:
    grep '71' /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h
    #define    EPROTO        71    /* Protocol error */
    Have you run a fsck on the storage device?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    A protocol error;

    Code:
    grep '71' /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h
    #define    EPROTO        71    /* Protocol error */
    Have you run a fsck on the storage device?
    Removed the card from the Garmin and tried again:

    Code:
    [31142.304478] kernel: usb 3-10: USB disconnect, device number 11
    
    [31195.242377] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
    [31205.198468] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
    [31205.326762] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31205.534565] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31205.742566] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 13, error -71
    [31244.535198] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
    [31244.684131] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [31244.684137] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [31244.684140] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [31244.685994] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [31393.016455] kernel: usb 3-10: USB disconnect, device number 15
    
    [31394.109708] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd
    [31394.258767] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [31394.258774] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [31394.258778] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [31394.260646] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [31399.221951] kernel: usb 3-10: USB disconnect, device number 16
    [31407.221952] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd
    [31407.349946] kernel: usb 3-10: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    
    [31450.322686] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 18 using xhci_hcd
    [31450.450870] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31450.658725] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31450.866704] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 18, error -71
    [31464.606929] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 20 using xhci_hcd
    [31464.755850] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [31464.755853] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [31464.755855] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [31464.757521] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    
    erlangen:~ # fdisk -l /dev/sdd
    Disk /dev/sdd: 3.7 GiB, 3959422976 bytes, 7733248 sectors
    Disk model: GARMIN Flash    
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000
    erlangen:~ # fsck /dev/sdd
    fsck from util-linux 2.34
    fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
    0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
    1) Remove dirty bit
    2) No action
    ? 2
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    This is mostly harmless. Differences: (offset:original/backup)
      65:01/00
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ? 3
    /dev/sdd: 613 files, 891640/953272 clusters
    erlangen:~ #
    The problem occurs with the builtin GARMIN Flash, not with the inserted Samsung Flash card. The message of the device notifier is misleading. It does not send another message when the Samsung is removed, but the problem persists.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,090
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Removed the card from the Garmin and tried again:

    Code:
    [31142.304478] kernel: usb 3-10: USB disconnect, device number 11
    
    [31195.242377] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
    [31205.198468] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
    [31205.326762] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31205.534565] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31205.742566] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 13, error -71
    [31244.535198] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
    [31244.684131] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [31244.684137] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [31244.684140] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [31244.685994] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [31393.016455] kernel: usb 3-10: USB disconnect, device number 15
    
    [31394.109708] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd
    [31394.258767] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [31394.258774] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [31394.258778] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [31394.260646] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [31399.221951] kernel: usb 3-10: USB disconnect, device number 16
    [31407.221952] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd
    [31407.349946] kernel: usb 3-10: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    
    [31450.322686] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 18 using xhci_hcd
    [31450.450870] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31450.658725] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [31450.866704] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 18, error -71
    [31464.606929] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 20 using xhci_hcd
    [31464.755850] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [31464.755853] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [31464.755855] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [31464.757521] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    
    erlangen:~ # fdisk -l /dev/sdd
    Disk /dev/sdd: 3.7 GiB, 3959422976 bytes, 7733248 sectors
    Disk model: GARMIN Flash    
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000
    erlangen:~ # fsck /dev/sdd
    fsck from util-linux 2.34
    fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
    0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
    1) Remove dirty bit
    2) No action
    ? 2
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    This is mostly harmless. Differences: (offset:original/backup)
      65:01/00
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ? 3
    /dev/sdd: 613 files, 891640/953272 clusters
    erlangen:~ #
    The problem occurs with the builtin GARMIN Flash, not with the inserted Samsung Flash card. The message of the device notifier is misleading. It does not send another message when the Samsung is removed, but the problem persists.
    Hi
    Remove the dirty bit and see how that goes. Before unmounting the device run sync, unmount run sync commands again, then should be fine to remove/unplug (I will work as your user as well).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,430

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    ... The problem occurs with the builtin GARMIN Flash, ...
    FWIW I've seen a similar mounting delay, on an old (circa 2012-13?) etrex (I think) 20. The unit wasn't mine though, (temporarily on loan from a colleague), and I never bothered to investigate further...
    Regards, Paul

    2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20200314) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,090
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    FWIW I've seen a similar mounting delay, on an old (circa 2012-13?) etrex (I think) 20. The unit wasn't mine though, (temporarily on loan from a colleague), and I never bothered to investigate further...
    Hi
    If you don't get a clean unmount (removed and still needs to sync) AFAIK you will get the dirty bit set, hence the error/delay. Make sure sync finished (ignore any gui carp) via manually running with older devices is the only way...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    If you don't get a clean unmount (removed and still needs to sync) AFAIK you will get the dirty bit set, hence the error/delay. Make sure sync finished (ignore any gui carp) via manually running with older devices is the only way...
    I removed the GARMINs from the list of known devices. Now I do not longer get the annoying beep and popup from system notifications. Instead the device notifier pops up with the GARMINs unmounted. The mount has been shifted to the sync icon on the desktop. Clicking the icon now mounts the GARMIN and copies new tracks to the desktop.

    There is absolutely perfect communication between a Delock card reader and Tumbleweed for some 5 years, but the etrex 30x seems to be broken:
    Code:
    [ 1784.319779] kernel: usb 4-6: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
    [ 1784.342390] kernel: usb 4-6: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0743, bcdDevice= 8.28
    [ 1784.342393] kernel: usb 4-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=4, SerialNumber=5
    [ 1784.342394] kernel: usb 4-6: Product: USB Storage
    [ 1784.342395] kernel: usb 4-6: Manufacturer: Generic
    [ 1784.342396] kernel: usb 4-6: SerialNumber: 
    [ 1784.344601] kernel: usb-storage 4-6:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    
    [ 2222.047108] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
    [ 2222.047321] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [ 2222.255124] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [ 2222.463113] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 13, error -71
    [ 2249.007574] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
    [ 2249.028734] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [ 2249.028740] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [ 2249.028744] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [ 2249.030865] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    As the error occurs even when not trying to mount the dirty bit is not involved. It seems the etrex signals to be ready while it isn't. When Tumbleweed tries again 30 seconds later the request always succeeds.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    FWIW I've seen a similar mounting delay, on an old (circa 2012-13?) etrex (I think) 20. The unit wasn't mine though, (temporarily on loan from a colleague), and I never bothered to investigate further...
    There is a problem with Garmin, but it occurs with other vendors too: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/...stability.html
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,090
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    I removed the GARMINs from the list of known devices. Now I do not longer get the annoying beep and popup from system notifications. Instead the device notifier pops up with the GARMINs unmounted. The mount has been shifted to the sync icon on the desktop. Clicking the icon now mounts the GARMIN and copies new tracks to the desktop.

    There is absolutely perfect communication between a Delock card reader and Tumbleweed for some 5 years, but the etrex 30x seems to be broken:
    Code:
    [ 1784.319779] kernel: usb 4-6: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
    [ 1784.342390] kernel: usb 4-6: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0743, bcdDevice= 8.28
    [ 1784.342393] kernel: usb 4-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=4, SerialNumber=5
    [ 1784.342394] kernel: usb 4-6: Product: USB Storage
    [ 1784.342395] kernel: usb 4-6: Manufacturer: Generic
    [ 1784.342396] kernel: usb 4-6: SerialNumber: 
    [ 1784.344601] kernel: usb-storage 4-6:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    
    [ 2222.047108] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
    [ 2222.047321] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [ 2222.255124] kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    [ 2222.463113] kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 13, error -71
    [ 2249.007574] kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
    [ 2249.028734] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    [ 2249.028740] kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    [ 2249.028744] kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 
    [ 2249.030865] kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    As the error occurs even when not trying to mount the dirty bit is not involved. It seems the etrex signals to be ready while it isn't. When Tumbleweed tries again 30 seconds later the request always succeeds.
    Hi
    Use a USB 2.0 port or ensure it uses the ehci-hcd via a udev rule to slow it down....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Problems Mounting Garmin etrex 30x Memory Card

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Use a USB 2.0 port or ensure it uses the ehci-hcd via a udev rule to slow it down....
    USB 2.0 port does not help. Poor etrex is USB 1.1. I have now:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/etrex.rules 
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="091e", ATTR{idProduct}=="28ca", DRIVER="ehci-hcd",  MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="etrex", ACTION=="add"
    erlangen:~ #
    But alas:

    Code:
    Mar 20 07:55:10 kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
    Mar 20 07:55:10 kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    Mar 20 07:55:11 kernel: usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
    Mar 20 07:55:11 kernel: usb 3-10: device not accepting address 4, error -71
    Mar 20 07:55:37 kernel: usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
    Mar 20 07:55:37 kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=28ca, bcdDevice= 5.09
    Mar 20 07:55:37 kernel: usb 3-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=5
    Mar 20 07:55:37 kernel: usb 3-10: SerialNumber: 0000...
    Mar 20 07:55:37 kernel: usb-storage 3-10:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •