Thread: Olivetti M220 port designation

Default Olivetti M220 port designation

I have apparently managed to install the driver for an elderly Olivetti M220 as CUPS reports that the printer is responding to it and it is sending jobs to it but none of the jobs are printed. I am not sure whether the printer is configured by default to use a non-standard port or whether this was the decision of the admin who set it up many years ago; however, the control panel lists two port numbers, one of which is described as an ASCII port number.

I have looked at the openSUSE documentation but I cannot see anything which says whether, in the YasT>Printer>Configuration wizard, the port should be entered in decimal or hex or what the significance of calling one port number ASCII is. Any assistance welcome.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Olivetti M220 port designation

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    I have apparently managed to install the driver for an elderly Olivetti M220 as CUPS reports that the printer is responding to it and it is sending jobs to it but none of the jobs are printed. I am not sure whether the printer is configured by default to use a non-standard port or whether this was the decision of the admin who set it up many years ago; however, the control panel lists two port numbers, one of which is described as an ASCII port number.

I have looked at the openSUSE documentation but I cannot see anything which says whether, in the YasT>Printer>Configuration wizard, the port should be entered in decimal or hex or what the significance of calling one port number ASCII is. Any assistance welcome.
    Hi
    So the cups service is running and you checked via http://localhost:631 is it in 'maintenance' mode perhaps?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Put CUPS into debug mode (more verbose logging) with
    Code:
    sudo cupsctl --debug-logging
    then send a print job and examine the CUPS error log (/var/log/cups/error_log). That should help with determining if there are any problems

From a port POV, you can run an nmap scan to see which ports the network printer is listening on.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Thanks. It will be a few days before I can try these out but I will report back.