Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: /boot/efi is not mounted

  1. #1

    Default /boot/efi is not mounted

    Dear all

    On one of my computers the partition /boot/efi is not mounted automatically which results in a error when an update for grub is installed, the command
    /usr/sbin/shim-install", "--config-file=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    fails with error "No valid EFI partition"

    here the my /etc/fstab:

    Code:
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /                       btrfs  defaults                      0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /.snapshots             btrfs  subvol=/@/.snapshots          0  0 
    UUID=2e104bf6-0865-49aa-9547-8d1ee41c6262  swap                    swap   defaults                      0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /var                    btrfs  subvol=/@/var                 0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /usr/local              btrfs  subvol=/@/usr/local           0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /tmp                    btrfs  subvol=/@/tmp                 0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /srv                    btrfs  subvol=/@/srv                 0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /root                   btrfs  subvol=/@/root                0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /opt                    btrfs  subvol=/@/opt                 0  0 
    UUID=7b66d503-9d46-4338-9a4e-18b51f1fc94c  /home                   xfs    defaults                      0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi  btrfs  subvol=/@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi  0  0 
    UUID=062e2312-24b8-43dd-bdff-524be9fe0a14  /boot/grub2/i386-pc     btrfs  subvol=/@/boot/grub2/i386-pc  0  0 
    UUID=CC1A-13F7                             /boot/efi               vfat   defaults                      0  0
    which is not really different from my other computer which are mounting the /boot/efi partition automatically

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    São Leopoldo, RS, Brazil
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    openSUSE Tumbleweed

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,322
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    It's a known bug. There are earlier threads on this, and there is at least one open bug report.

    Apparently "systemd" mounts the file system and then unmounts some of them. As far as I know, only people using "btrfs" run into this issue.

    My best advice -- after boot, become root and
    Code:
    mount -a
    to mount anything that is not mounted but should be.

    I hope this will soon be fixed. But the bug has been out there for a while, so maybe nobody quite knows how to fix it.

    I suggest you look around for other recent threads on this.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    This is not a solution, but a pretty cumbersome workaround.

    Side effects are mitigated by tweaking unit btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service: https://github.com/kdave/btrfsmaintenance/issues/78 While reloading systemd during boot is annoying, it does not any harm after local-fs.target is reached.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    São Leopoldo, RS, Brazil
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    This is not a solution, but a pretty cumbersome workaround.

    Side effects are mitigated by tweaking unit btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service: https://github.com/kdave/btrfsmaintenance/issues/78 While reloading systemd during boot is annoying, it does not any harm after local-fs.target is reached.
    I don't wish to re-hash the arguments I gave in the other thread, but here you brings new info, so I'll respond to them:

    • Not sure why disabling btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service is cumbersome, is quite simple to do, system keep performing as healthy as before, only more stable;
    • I found that uninstalling btrfsmaintenance is even more desirable;
    • It is a mitigation in the sense that systemd is either flawed or has a shortcoming, so this avoids a race condition;
    • Yet, it is unclear why btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service is scheduled at every single boot since the outcome can be achieved by running it just once;
    • The very existence of this post, and in fact tons of others here, seems to suggest that there's harm in reloading pid1 after local-fs.target is reached;
    • If/when systemd is patched, since there's other possible cases leading to the same observed behavior, I still won't care about btrfsmaintenance units, given btrfs-progs provide all the tools I need.


    As a last note, I've read that it would be desirable to mount /boot/efi only at the time/for the duration of whatever it is need for. I tend to agree. But I'm afraid this is matter of another issue.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,322
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    Quote Originally Posted by awerlang View Post
    As a last note, I've read that it would be desirable to mount /boot/efi only at the time/for the duration of whatever it is need for. I tend to agree.
    I also agree. But, with Tumbleweed, it needs to be mounted for updates.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    Quote Originally Posted by awerlang View Post
    I don't wish to re-hash the arguments I gave in the other thread, but here you brings new info, so I'll respond to them:

    • Not sure why disabling btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service is cumbersome, is quite simple to do, system keep performing as healthy as before, only more stable;
    • I found that uninstalling btrfsmaintenance is even more desirable;
    • It is a mitigation in the sense that systemd is either flawed or has a shortcoming, so this avoids a race condition;
    • Yet, it is unclear why btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service is scheduled at every single boot since the outcome can be achieved by running it just once;
    • The very existence of this post, and in fact tons of others here, seems to suggest that there's harm in reloading pid1 after local-fs.target is reached;
    • If/when systemd is patched, since there's other possible cases leading to the same observed behavior, I still won't care about btrfsmaintenance units, given btrfs-progs provide all the tools I need.


    As a last note, I've read that it would be desirable to mount /boot/efi only at the time/for the duration of whatever it is need for. I tend to agree. But I'm afraid this is matter of another issue.
    Short answer: Use all the default units; apply the fix: https://github.com/kdave/btrfsmaintenance/issues/78
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # systemctl list-unit-files btrfs*
    UNIT FILE                        STATE   
    btrfsmaintenance-refresh.path    enabled 
    btrfs-balance.service            static  
    btrfs-defrag.service             static  
    btrfs-scrub.service              static  
    btrfs-trim.service               static  
    btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service disabled
    btrfs-balance.timer              enabled 
    btrfs-defrag.timer               enabled 
    btrfs-scrub.timer                enabled 
    btrfs-trim.timer                 disabled
    
    10 unit files listed.
    erlangen:~ # 
    
    erlangen:~ # journalctl -b -u btrfs* -o short-monotonic --no-hostname 
    -- Logs begin at Tue 2020-03-17 07:29:50 CET, end at Tue 2020-03-17 09:26:55 CET. --
    [    4.545135] systemd[1]: Started Watch /etc/sysconfig/btrfsmaintenance.
    [   12.902679] systemd[1]: Started Balance block groups on a btrfs filesystem.
    [   12.902757] systemd[1]: Started Defragment file data and/or directory metadata.
    [   12.902854] systemd[1]: Started Scrub btrfs filesystem, verify block checksums.
    erlangen:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  9. #9

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Short answer: Use all the default units; apply the fix: https://github.com/kdave/btrfsmaintenance/issues/78
    I've tried this, but I see no effect, /boot/efi is still not mounted

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Re: /boot/efi is not mounted

    Quote Originally Posted by hkottmann View Post
    I've tried this, but I see no effect, /boot/efi is still not mounted
    Did you verify that btrfsmaintenance-refresh.path does not trigger at boot? Show the logs:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # journalctl -b -u btrfs*
    -- Logs begin at Thu 2020-02-06 15:16:08 CET, end at Sun 2020-03-22 11:20:27 CET. --
    Mar 21 06:37:55 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Watch /etc/sysconfig/btrfsmaintenance.
    Mar 21 06:38:08 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Balance block groups on a btrfs filesystem.
    Mar 21 06:38:08 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Defragment file data and/or directory metadata.
    Mar 21 06:38:08 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Scrub btrfs filesystem, verify block checksums.
    Mar 22 04:16:58 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Defragment file data on a mounted filesystem.
    Mar 22 04:17:01 erlangen systemd[1]: btrfs-defrag.service: Succeeded.
    erlangen:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •