TW20200309 Anyone else seeing these systemd 'errors' at boot.

After a zypper dup to 20200309 both of my TW machines have these ‘errors’ at boot:

systemd[1]: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console.

*and*

systemd[1]: Dependency failed for dracut ask for additional cmdline parameters.

Anyone else seeing these?

Hi
Haven’t updated yet, waiting for the python 3.8 builds to finish and publish…

That’s been seen before by folks in the Forum “Failed to start Setup Virtual Console”, you need to look through the logs for the dracut error, what is being rebuilt, third party kernel modules?

I’ll have a search through the forum, see what I can find…

you need to look through the logs for the dracut error, what is being rebuilt, third party kernel modules?

These are the only ‘dracut’ related entries in the journal … doesn’t mean a lot to me I’m afraid :(:\

paul@Orion-15:~$ journalctl -b | grep -i dracut
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for dracut ask for additional cmdline parameters.
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: dracut-cmdline-ask.service: Job dracut-cmdline-ask.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Starting dracut cmdline hook...
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Started dracut cmdline hook.
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Starting dracut pre-udev hook...
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Started dracut pre-udev hook.
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 dracut-cmdline[226]: dracut-dracut-049.1+git125.e2b2c9ef-1.1
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 dracut-cmdline[226]: Using kernel command line parameters: resume=UUID=08a4ff75-8318-40cf-b78b-b7049064dfb5 root=UUID=2511d4d8-0425-4e80-bd14-86798396bdfb rootfstype=ext4 rootflags=rw,noatime BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.5.7-1-default root=UUID=2511d4d8-0425-4e80-bd14-86798396bdfb noresume libata.force=noncq showopts
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in dracut pre-trigger hook being skipped.
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in dracut initqueue hook being skipped.
Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in dracut pre-mount hook being skipped.
Mar 11 17:36:40 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in dracut mount hook being skipped.
Mar 11 17:36:40 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in dracut pre-pivot and cleanup hook being skipped.
Mar 11 17:36:40 Orion-15 systemd[1]: dracut-pre-udev.service: Succeeded.
Mar 11 17:36:40 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Stopped dracut pre-udev hook.
Mar 11 17:36:40 Orion-15 systemd[1]: dracut-cmdline.service: Succeeded.
Mar 11 17:36:40 Orion-15 systemd[1]: Stopped dracut cmdline hook.
paul@Orion-15:~$

Hi
Seems it’s this line;

Mar 11 17:36:39 Orion-15 systemd[1]: dracut-cmdline-ask.service: Job dracut-cmdline-ask.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

I don’t see that service here… can you check the status;

systemctl status dracut-cmdline-ask.service

paul@Orion-15:~$ systemctl status dracut-cmdline-ask.service
Unit dracut-cmdline-ask.service could not be found.

Hmm… seems a good reason for it to fail.

If you don’t need perfectly set-up text consoles (for example, if you’re fine using an US kbd mapping when dropping to text), then you can try out my dirty hack from last year. Graphical sessions (Gnome, KDE-Plasma, XFCE etc) won’t see any detrimental effects.

Can’t believe these vconsole problems are still a thing, grumblegrumble…

Hi
I wonder what is installed that wants it, have you played with the dracut.conf file? Do you have third party kernel modules?

It is there;

ls /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/*cmdline-ask*
/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.service  /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.sh

I updated (in a virtual machine). No problems.

Then I rebooted. But I was not watching the reboot. I was doing something else, while the VM rebooted. So I didn’t notice any problems.

Maybe I should go back and look more closely.

Funny, systemd-vconsole-setup is disabled on my laptop. Could be I did this, but don’t remember.

erlangen:~ # systemctl status systemd-vconsole-setup.service 
● systemd-vconsole-setup.service - Setup Virtual Console
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2020-03-11 16:03:20 CET; 4h 13min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-vconsole-setup.service(8)
             man:vconsole.conf(5)
    Process: 944 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 944 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Mar 11 16:03:20 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Setup Virtual Console...
Mar 11 16:03:20 erlangen systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Succeeded.
Mar 11 16:03:20 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.
erlangen:~ # systemctl status dracut-cmdline-ask.service 
Unit dracut-cmdline-ask.service could not be found.
erlangen:~ # 

No to both… I’ve two TW machines, and they both exhibit this after a zypper dup 20200307 -> 20200309. No other changes made…

It is there;

ls /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/cmdline-ask
/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.service /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.sh

Yes…

paul@Orion-15:~$ ls /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/*cmdline-ask*
/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.service
/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.sh

Last resort…

That’s another last resort ‘solution’ :slight_smile:

I’ll leave the vconsole problem for the moment, and if unable to resolve it, start a new thread.

Looking into /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/dracut-cmdline-ask.service shows:
Requires=systemd-vconsole-setup.service

I guess, if you repair the vconsole setup, the dependency problem of dracut-cmdline-ask.service will go away.

I solved my vconsole problem (font not found) by changing the font in /etc/vconsole.conf to (the) one, that exists in my initial ramdisk.

lsinitrd | grep "usr/share/kbd/consolefonts"

Hendrik

Indeed! Problem solved, many thanks :slight_smile:

I solved my vconsole problem (font not found) by changing the font in /etc/vconsole.conf to (the) one, that exists in my initial ramdisk

The problem here was one of the keymap, not font. “/etc/vconsole.conf” was asking for “uk”, however there was no “uk.map” in “/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/xkb/” - changing to “KEYMAP=gb” in “/etc/vconsole.conf” and running mkinitrd resolved the vconsole problem, and as you suspected, the dependency problem of dracut-cmdline-ask.service.

Probably worthy of a bug report, as I guess this will hit other users with the same locale… But I’ll have to leave that until tomorrow.

I have:

KEYMAP=de-nodeadkeys
FONT=eurlatgr.psfu
FONT_MAP=
FONT_UNIMAP=

/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/xkb/de-nodeadkeys.map.gz
/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/eurlatgr.psfu.gz

Maybe is a side effect of Brexit lol!

[QUOTE=tannington;2929563
The problem here was one of the keymap, not font. “/etc/vconsole.conf” was asking for “uk”, however there was no “uk.map” in “/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/xkb/” - changing to “KEYMAP=gb” in “/etc/vconsole.conf” and running mkinitrd resolved the vconsole problem, and as you suspected, the dependency problem of dracut-cmdline-ask.service.

Probably worthy of a bug report, as I guess this will hit other users with the same locale… But I’ll have to leave that until tomorrow.[/QUOTE]This also affect Leap-15.2 Beta build 603.1 (also 2020-03-09)

A sore point where I live. The only people that I know here that voted for (and are avid fans of) Brexit have triple nationality with Italian, Irish and UK passports.

Bug reported by another user yesterday evening:

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1166423

It seems the problem was caused by the update of “kbd” 2.0.4 -> 2.2.0 which has removed some of the *.map.gz files…

I don’t think so. Using ‘yast2 keyboard’ tinkers with /etc/vconsole.conf: Selecting the german keyboard sets KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys. :wink: