Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCANVIRUS application layer for clamscan - alpha 8 - suggestion box

Default SCANVIRUS application layer for clamscan - alpha 8 - suggestion box

Hello. I would have normally uploaded changes just before January. I usually add new features that might be handy. However, I've run out of ideas for features to add. It's easy to use, saves all the data I need, simple commands, and quick to use any features.

The only problem I've had is forgetting to back the virus vault. Future: USB backup command for virus vault. For those who want to keep the info for authorities, such as USA - FBI. Internet Crime Complaint center.

Also, be warned clamscan engine may flag false positives. So, be careful with the move command. I may have corrupted my win10 system, more than once.

Default Re: SCANVIRUS application layer for clamscan - alpha 8 - suggestion box

I'll reply to this about once a week or to remind users, the suggestion box is open for a few weeks

Since, i'v had problems with win10 using the 'move to virus vault'. Sometimes clamscan reads false positives. So, i'v figured out a useful function that's not to hard to add.

Expanded function: copy files to virus vault
    scanvirus -m c

Normal common usage:
    scanvirus -m mup

scan mswin partitions (ntfs,vfat)
    update clamscan
    high priority scan then power-down
    move infected files to virus vault

scanvirus -m cup
    changed: copy files to virus vault

scanvirus -backup [file path]

Backup virus vault. Function will check for a valid destination.

I'll need to run some tests before I release a A7 version.

Blog Entries

Suggestion:
    If you're reasonably sure your codebase should run without error,
    Take it out of Alpha and make it a Beta!

Besides,
    If part of your codebase has been developed for a long time and the core is relatively stable but you're changing/adding/removing features, if you designed your app properly from the beginning the stable code should be naturally separate from the changes you're working on, ie a "modular" or "plugin" architecture.

Being willing to take your core code to the next level and consider it stable is significant and will encourage more people to use it.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Suggestion:
    If you're reasonably sure your codebase should run without error,
    Take it out of Alpha and make it a Beta!

Besides,
    If part of your codebase has been developed for a long time and the core is relatively stable but you're changing/adding/removing features, if you designed your app properly from the beginning the stable code should be naturally separate from the changes you're working on, ie a "modular" or "plugin" architecture.

Being willing to take your core code to the next level and consider it stable is significant and will encourage more people to use it.

TSU
    Yes, it's stable as v1.0 and v2.0 I keep uncovering yet another missed error check or flaw in the design. The reason why I keep saying it's an alpha version.

I just noticed another missing error check on first install. It sets up folders and files, but doesn't check for any errors. You can easely add new file types to windows scan.

It already it somewhat modular. I can split it up more. I have the structured programing training, but not much time to fix them.

Version 2.00 A7b If I call it beta, it now gets the official v1.00 beta1 Once I fix the folder error check, fix the control-z check so nothing happens, and folder buildup in 'virus vault'. That should be the last of design flaws.

If someone presses control-c, you might have folder with a virus found. So, I can't delete it, unless i'm sure the log has no virus entries. I think I have quick solution, block folder erase. Something that I have to do anyway. Maybe grep the log for virus found.

I'm been very busy lately with classes, not related to programing.

Thanks for the tip.

FYI, I just finished the copy anti-virus folder. Fairly easy, since it's structured already. Ten minutes to complete.

The scan for mswin virus is working.

I did a test with clamscan on downloads with a sample virus. It found the virus.

I did a full linux system scan. It came up with no virus's!

It seems something is not working, right.

It's the clamscan engine command line causing the problem for the linux scan. The mswin scan seems to be unaffected.

I'm working on it and asking for help. I can't offer a workaround or patch at this time. I have no idea how to fix it.

Even a standard scan from root directory, 'clamscan -r -i', doesn't find this virus in the downloads in username directory. A separate home directory has no effect.

I'll post more info as I find out more.

For those of you scanvirus users paying attention, I found the problem. 'clamscan' is not scanning the home folder. It's nothing in my code. I should have done real virus testing from the start. I didn't foresee this of kind bug, feature, or flaw in the design of clamscan.

So, I'll have a simple text replace patch soon and that will fix the issue. Just find and replace all the text or just make those changes. Adding the mswin copy scan will require two text replaces.

I'm trying to fix the multiplying linux folders. This is a much harder fix. You will have to just update scanvirus the usually way (overwrite the old file) when the stable release comes out.

FYI, I can't get clamscan to scan the home folder. So, I patched it so it will 'scan system files' then 'scan home folder'. All the logs will show the changes.

I'm almost done. It's not neat and clean code, but it gets the job done.

Stay tuned to this channel for the patches...

Default Re: SCANVIRUS application layer for clamscan - critical patch

Critical patch
    ------------------------

This will now scan system files and the home directory. Fixing this critical security flaw.

To patch scanvirus, make a backup copy in case you make a mistake in patching it. Also, there is a random glitch error. Usually, it disappears when you do the same command again.

Replace this if command sequence:

Code:
        #scan linux partitions
        elif [[ "$1" == '-l' ]] || [[ "$1" == '-linux' ]]; then         
            linecount=$( pgrep -xc scanvirus )
            #if [[ "$linecount" -ge 2 ]];then  
            #    printf "scanvirus running\n"
            #    exit
            #fi

#partition_scan 'linux' false 'btrfs' 'xfs';
            #exit

if [[ "$2" == *"u"* ]]; then
               freshclam
            fi

Current_Vault_Folder="$Virus_Vault_Folder/linux "
            Current_Vault_Folder+="$Time_Date_Stamp"
            mkdir "${Current_Vault_Folder}"

#clamscan priority
            CS_Priority=0
            if [[ "$2" == *"l"* ]]; then
               CS_Priority=19
               printf "Low-priority active\n"
            fi
            if [[ "$2" == *"p"* ]]; then
               CS_Priority=-20
               printf "Shutdown high-priority active\n"
            fi

printf "\n"

printf ".....Scanning linux - Clamscan Engine.....\n\n" | tee "${Current_Vault_Folder}/scanresults.log"

printf "Scanning system files\n" | tee -a "${Current_Vault_Folder}/scanresults.log"

nice -"$CS_Priority" clamscan -r --exclude-dir=/sys --exclude-dir=/proc --exclude-dir=/dev --exclude-dir=/.snapshots --follow-dir-symlinks=0 --follow-file-symlinks=0 --cross-fs=no / | Scan_Results_Filter

printf "\nScanning home folder\n" | tee -a "${Current_Vault_Folder}/scanresults.log"

nice -"$CS_Priority" clamscan -r --exclude-dir=/sys --exclude-dir=/proc --exclude-dir=/dev --exclude-dir=/.snapshots --follow-dir-symlinks=0 --follow-file-symlinks=0 --cross-fs=no /home | Scan_Results_Filter

printf "__________________________________________________\n" | tee -a "${Current_Vault_Folder}/scanresults.log"

Update_Scanlog;
    I need to run some more tests. The copy mswin function is working. I need to fix a few more things before I can make a stable release.

You can post any suggestions before the next release.

I've fixed most of the bugs and added new features.

The patch doesn't work. I put the test virus into the scanvirus vault. 'scanvirus -l h' doesn't detect it in 'scanning system files', but it does detect the virus in 'scanning home folder'.

back to the drawing board....

For those reading this, I am nearly complete. All the major bugs and design flaws are fixed. Lots of new features. I'm still running more field tests to find the last of them.

Version: 1.00 stable

Here's the new help file, including new features.

Code:
    Scan Virus
    help commands
    -------------
    virus scan linux files
        p1: -l or linux
        p2: u   freshclam update      (optional)
        p2: l   low system priority   (optional)
        p2: h   high system priority  (optional)
        p2: p   high system priority + shutdown on finish (optional)
        p2: f   scan folder           (optional)

virus scan windows files
        p1: -m or -mswin
        p2: c   copy infected files to vault     (optional)
        p2: m   move infected files to vault     (optional)
        p2: u   freshclam update                 (optional)
        p2: l   low system priority   (optional)
        p2: h   high system priority  (optional)
        p2: p   high system priority + shutdown on finish (optional)
    open virus vault (KDE)
        p1: -vf
    view logs
        p1: -vl
        p2: l or m  mask by linux/mswin scans   (optional)
        p2: d       mask by date                (optional)  
        p3: year                                (optional)
        p4: month                               (optional)
    view virus reports + virus files
        p1: -vr or -viewvirusreports
    view version information
        p1: -v or --version
    You now a cfg file for excluded system folders and a time date stamp.

Code:
    ____________________scanvirus configuration____________________
    No more spaces or ' or "
    Date[space]Time or Time[space]Date

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast