Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    76

    Default Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    I have a 500GB disk partitioned using legacy MBR
    with extended partitions prepared for LEAP 15.2
    My goal is to use Legacy Windows Boot Manager and EasyBCD
    It worked well on 42.3

    What selections would I make for booting when installing
    Leap on the "extended partitions below.
    (Shown after installing Windows-7 and Windows-10
    which are running fine using EasyBCD.

    Thanks in advance
    -------------------- SNIP -----------------------


    Disk Partitions Cylinders Heads Sectors Mbytes Model
    2 7 60801 255 63 476940.0 TOSHIBA HDWD105


    Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
    1 PRIMARY 150005.3 NTFS/HPFS 31%
    2 PRIMARY 150005.4 NTFS/HPFS 31%
    3 EXTENDED 176926.8 37%
    F: 4 LOGICAL LINUX 90004.8 FAT32 19%
    G: 5 LOGICAL BOOT 101.9 FAT16 1%
    H: 6 LOGICAL SWAP 12001.7 FAT32 3%
    I: 7 LOGICAL DATA 74818.3 FAT32 16%

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,844
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    To start with, you cannot install on a FAT32 filesystem. It would mean that all linux permissions, needed for a proper system, would not work, could not hbeenave for 42.3 either.
    A second thing is that 15.2 has not been released yet, it just entered beta stage ~1 week ago.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,429
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by qawtbh View Post
    What selections would I make for booting when installing
    Leap on the "extended partitions below.
    (Shown after installing Windows-7 and Windows-10
    which are running fine using EasyBCD.
    Just be sure that you boot the installer in traditional MBR mode (and not in UEFI mode). That way, the defaults for booting should be fine.

    Perhaps you also need to tell the installer to boot from a custom partition. And specify that partition to be your root partition (I cannot tell which that is from what you list).

    I'm inclined to suggest using "ext4" for your root partition. The installer default is to use "btrfs", but I'm not sure whether that works with EasyBCD.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just be sure that you boot the installer in traditional MBR mode (and not in UEFI mode). That way, the defaults for booting should be fine.

    Perhaps you also need to tell the installer to boot from a custom partition. And specify that partition to be your root partition (I cannot tell which that is from what you list).

    I'm inclined to suggest using "ext4" for your root partition. The installer default is to use "btrfs", but I'm not sure whether that works with EasyBCD.

    Should I select /boot or / (root)
    for GRUB2 ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,396

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by qawtbh View Post
    Code:
    Partition  Status   Type     Volume Label   Mbytes   System   Usage
     F:  4             LOGICAL    LINUX        90004.8  FAT32      19%
     G:  5             LOGICAL    BOOT           101.9  FAT16       1%
     H:  6             LOGICAL    SWAP         12001.7  FAT32       3%
     I:  7             LOGICAL    DATA         74818.3  FAT32      16%
    What made you decide on these sizes? Unless you plan to install every possible software you can find, and/or are a Linux programmer, you're likely overallocating space to / and to swap, while boot is rather small, and probably better off not a separate partition, unless you have a specific reason to keep it separate. If you do have a reason, you'd be better off putting it on a primary, to make instructing the openSUSE installer set up the bootloader easiest for EasyBCD to use. If you plan to use BTRFS for / instead of EXT4, it needs to be ample, but 90G seems overabundant within the context of your other sizes.

    Largest / partition I've ever created on any of my own PCs, all of which only use EXT3 or EXT4, is ~20GB. Most actually consume far less than half that much disk space.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,429
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by qawtbh View Post
    Should I select /boot or / (root)
    for GRUB2 ?
    The installer does not offer that choice. That was a choice at some time in the past, but not with the current installer.

    It will give you a choice of "boot from MBR" or "boot from partition".

    If you select "boot from partition", it will tell you that it is using the partition containing "/boot". However, it will actually be set to boot from the extended partition (which does contain "/boot" as part of a logical partition within that extended partition). But that is not what you want for EasyBCD.

    There is a third choice -- boot from a custom partition. You should select that.

    Apart from that, I'm unsure of your partitioning, since you show everything as FAT32. But perhaps that is just temporary, and the installer will change to a linux file system.

    If your plan is to have a separate "/boot" (presumably partition 5), then you can specify that as your custom boot partition. It will probably show as "/dev/sda6" in linux. Format it to use "ext2" (or "ext3" or "ext4"). And that's the partition to tell EasyBCD to use for booting.

    Please note, however, that 101M is small for "/boot". If you can still change your partitioning, I suggest 500M to leave a little elbow room.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by qawtbh View Post
    Should I select /boot or / (root)
    for GRUB2 ?
    With your setup the safest way is choosing "Boot from Extended Partition" if you find that option in the installer. Otherwise choose the first one in the extended, the "F" partition and use it for / (root); the position of the other partitions in the extended is more vulnerable to disk error. I don't see the need for a /boot in an MBR install unless you have unusual needs.
    [EDIT] apparently @nrickert knows better, follow his advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    What made you decide on these sizes? Unless you plan to install every possible software you can find, and/or are a Linux programmer, you're likely overallocating space to / and to swap, while boot is rather small, and probably better off not a separate partition, unless you have a specific reason to keep it separate. If you do have a reason, you'd be better off putting it on a primary, to make instructing the openSUSE installer set up the bootloader easiest for EasyBCD to use. If you plan to use BTRFS for / instead of EXT4, it needs to be ample, but 90G seems overabundant within the context of your other sizes.

    Largest / partition I've ever created on any of my own PCs, all of which only use EXT3 or EXT4, is ~20GB. Most actually consume far less than half that much disk space.
    +1
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,429
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Install Leap using GRUB2 without UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Please note, however, that 101M is small for "/boot". If you can still change your partitioning, I suggest 500M to leave a little elbow room.
    A followup comment on that.

    I have Leap 15.2 in a virtual machine, with a separate "/boot". Here's the size information:
    Code:
    % df /boot
    Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3         495844 92989    377255  20% /boot
    The partition used "ext2", and is a 500M partition. As you, it is currently using 93M of that partition.

    At present, there are two kernels in "/boot". So that's a little under 50M for each kernel. It is normal for there to be two kernels -- the most recently installed kernel, and the previous one as a fallback alternative.

    Here's the issue. When there is a kernel update, you will have three kernels until the oldest one has been removed. And three kernels is going to use almost 150M of space. It won't fit in a 101M partition.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •