Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    234

    Default KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    I have installed LEAP 15.1 on a desktop with an NVIDIA G72 Board - p385h0 and am using KDE. Periodically the desktop is overlayed by what appears to be wallpaper. Sometimes my open applications reappear. Eventually KDE stops responding to left and right clicks, although I can still move the cursor.

    What diagnostic data should I collect before reporting the bug?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    A slightly more detailed description of the graphics adapter:

    NVIDIA RIVA-128, RIVA-128ZX, RIVA-TNT, RIVA-TNT2, RIVA-TNT2 M64
    NVIDIA RIVA-TNT2 Vanta, RIVA-TNT2 Ultra, GeForce 256, GeForce DDR
    NVIDIA Quadro, GeForce2 Integrated GPU, GeForce2 Ti, GeForce2 GTS
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200, GeForce2 MX/MX 400, GeForce2 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420, GeForce3, Quadro2, GeForce4 MX 440
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 8X, GeForce4 MX 460, GeForce4 MX 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Integrated GPU, GeForce4 Ti 4200, GeForce4 Ti 4200 8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400, GeForce4 Ti 4600, GeForce4 Ti 4800
    NVIDIA Quadro4 NVS, Quadro4 XGL, GeForce FX 5200, GeForce FX 5500
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Series, GeForce FX 5700 Series, Quadro FX
    NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5300, GeForce PCX 5750, GeForce 6200 Series
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Series

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,392

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    The better identification of the Graphics adapter comes from the PCI Device ID, which can come from either of these (among others):
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    inxi -Gxx
    Inxi should be run from Xterm or Konsole.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  4. #4

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ocessing_units

    G72 = GeForce 7200/7300/7500 series.
    It is too old - 2006 year.
    Looks like you are using nouveau driver, which works badly with KDE.
    Try to disable OpenGL acceleration in KDE - use XRender instead.
    Or try to install Nvidia proprietary driver - you will need G02 from https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.3/x86_64/ .

    Or change videocard.
    If you want to use old one then try ATI/AMD hardware - it still works with Mesa drivers.
    Radeon HD X2000 series (Terascale) or newer are good enough.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    What file do I need to edit, or what Yast option, to disable OPENGL and use xrender?

    Right now my primary system is OS/2, and if I changed cards I need to deal with driver issues.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,392

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    If you want to use old one then try ATI/AMD hardware - it still works with Mesa drivers.
    G84 (spring 2007) is only a year or so newer than G72. It still seems to work fine with Mesa in TW, so should still in 15.1:
    Code:
    > pinxi -V | head -n1
    pinxi 3.0.37-38 (2020-02-24)
    > pinxi -SGxx
    System:    Host: big41 Kernel: 5.4.14-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5
               tk: Qt 5.14.0 wm: kwin_x11 dm: N/A Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20200128
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] vendor: XFX Pine driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
               chip ID: 10de:0402
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.7 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa alternate: nouveau,nv,nvidia
               compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.3.2 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
    Maybe the problem would be solved by simply removing xf86-video-nouveau? As you can see, I am using the (upstream default) modesetting DDX, which is running on the default OpenGL 2.0.

    FWIW, it's been at least 18 years since I've used anything but ATI for eCS, because of its superior proprietary DOS mode support.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    The better identification of the Graphics adapter comes from the PCI Device ID, which can come from either of these (among others):
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    inxi -Gxx
    Inxi should be run from Xterm or Konsole.
    Hereś the lspci:

    Code:
    ARCAOS-40ADEE0:/opt/DFsee/dfsee_install/linux # lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] [10de:01d1] (rev a1)
            Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:0274]
            Kernel driver in use: nouveau
            Kernel modules: nouveau
    After installing inxi:

    Code:
    ARCAOS-40ADEE0:/opt/DFsee/dfsee_install/linux # inxi -Gxx
    Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:01d1
               Display Server: x11 (X.org 1.20.3 ) drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               tty size: 107x31 Advanced Data: N/A for root

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    G84 (spring 2007) is only a year or so newer than G72. It still seems to work fine with Mesa in TW, so should still in 15.1:
    Code:
    > pinxi -V | head -n1
    pinxi 3.0.37-38 (2020-02-24)
    > pinxi -SGxx
    System:    Host: big41 Kernel: 5.4.14-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5
               tk: Qt 5.14.0 wm: kwin_x11 dm: N/A Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20200128
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] vendor: XFX Pine driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
               chip ID: 10de:0402
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.7 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa alternate: nouveau,nv,nvidia
               compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.3.2 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
    Maybe the problem would be solved by simply removing xf86-video-nouveau? As you can see, I am using the (upstream default) modesetting DDX, which is running on the default OpenGL 2.0.
    I´ḿ a complete newbie when it comes to configuring X. Is that a line in a file (which?) or something to configure with Yast?

    FWIW, it's been at least 18 years since I've used anything but ATI for eCS, because of its superior proprietary DOS mode support.
    I had really bad experience with ATI drivers on OS/2 and windows 3.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,392

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    Quote Originally Posted by shmuelmetz View Post
    I´ḿ a complete newbie when it comes to configuring X. Is that a line in a file (which?) or something to configure with Yast?
    It's a package management action, much like uninstalling a .wpi or using yum.
    Code:
    sudo zypper remove xf86-video-nouveau
    will remove the nouveau DDX, which should cause the next start of X to use the modesetting DDX instead. If the result proves unsatisfactory, you can reverse it with
    Code:
    sudo zypper install xf86-video-nouveau
    YaST Software Management can be used instead of zypper.

    Alternatively, either nouveau or modesetting can be explicitly specified via the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf.

    I had really bad experience with ATI drivers on OS/2 and windows 3.
    In those days I was happy with Tseng video performance, though not with getting the Tseng OS/2 driver installed.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: KDE desktop overlayed and eventually hangs

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    It's a package management action, much like uninstalling a .wpi or using yum.
    Code:
    sudo zypper remove xf86-video-nouveau
    will remove the nouveau DDX, which should cause the next start of X to use the modesetting DDX instead. If the result proves unsatisfactory, you can reverse it with
    Code:
    sudo zypper install xf86-video-nouveau
    YaST Software Management can be used instead of zypper.

    Alternatively, either nouveau or modesetting can be explicitly specified via the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf.

    In those days I was happy with Tseng video performance, though not with getting the Tseng OS/2 driver installed.
    Thanks; I'll try that.

    I'm a bit leary of editing files updated by Yast; I've had cases where Yast rebuilt the file from its own data, overwriting my changes. That a long time ago, so I don't know whether the issue still exists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •