I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE x86_64 and I installed Handbrake from the Packman repository. When I try to run it, it simply exits immediately, so I tried running it in a terminal. This is the error message I got when trying to run both the GTK and CLI versions of Handbrake in a terminal:

Illegal Instruction (core dumped)

And that's it. No other error information was presented. Everything else works fine on my machine, and before I installed Linux I briefly installed Windows 7 to test the hardware. The machine survived 24 hours of memtest86 (booted from a CD) and 36 hours of Prime95 "blend" torture test (run under Windows 7). After testing the hardware, I wiped the entire SSD, including the MBR, and installed openSUSE Tumbleweed by itself. Since I installed Tumbleweed, I have spent many hours playing Star Wars: The Old Republic through Wine with no issues, and I have spent many more hours using Firefox and VLC player, which work fine as well.

I did install the proprietary Nvidia drivers using the available repository, if that makes any difference. The only unofficial repositories I'm using are Packman, libdvdcss, and Nvidia, all Tumbleweed versions. I have installed everything presented by "zypper inr" and I run "zypper dup" at least once per week. It's possible that I'm missing some dependencies but I've been very careful to make sure to install all dependencies and avoid conflicts, per the Tumbleweed multimedia guide on these forums.

I have received several Handbrake updates over the last few weeks, and each time I thought they would fix my issue, but they did not. I have been Googling this problem for over an hour and I could not find any other example of it.

I'm comfortable with the command line but I'm relatively new to Linux and I have not yet learned how to use debugging tools. I build PCs for fun but I'm more of a mechanic than an engineer. Any help would be appreciated.

My machine:
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T
MSI NF980-G65 motherboard
4x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600
MSI GTX 660Ti Twin Frozr (3GB VRAM)