Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Fingerprint reader

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB Fingerprint reader

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Always wanting to learn.

As I mentioned earlier I also guess that maybe a (changed) udev rule might help here, But have lack of knowledge where and how to look.

I tried to understand from the udevadm man pge what the -n option does. I assume it is one way toidentify about which device you want the information from the usdev database. But why /dev/sdb? Nowhere such a device is mentioned in this thread. Nowhere is there even any mention of a mass-storage device.

Is a fingerprint reader seen as a mass-storage device? And when yes, why should it be sdb? That would depend on how many other mass-storage devices are already connected to the system, of which there is no information.

This triggers me to the suggestion of tracking what logging is created during the connecting of the device. There it would show if, and when yes what, device file is created for it.
    First (as root)
    Code:
    dmesg -w
    connect the device and watch (eventualy copy/paste) the output.
    To stop the watching: Ctrl-C.
    Yes, that reference to /dev/sdb is curious even considering the referenced article is an internal reader. I'm sure it should point to your device.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Hi
    So the openSUSE Leap 15.1 version is 0.8.0 and the newer 0.9.x series fails to build as it needs a later systemd version....

@OP, can you try a live USB version of Tumbleweed and see if it springs into life?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Henk and TSU,

thanks for suggestions, I'm digesting the info and going through links, will report on progress.

Malcolm, I should be able the USB Tumbleweed too, perhaps during the weekend.

Oak

Hello again,

I perhaps misunderstood something, because I thought first thing is to get the driver (firmware) working, then the PAM module (that would be Display Manager dependant, isn't it?). However, I have fprintd-pam, pam, pam-32bit, pam-config and yast2-pam installed.

No lack with common-auth (from the linked article), it doesn't provide the pam_fprintd.so line:

Code:
    # grep fprint /etc/pam.d/common-auth
    #
    I tried to look into configuration of PAM in YaST too, but I'm a bit lost. Is it the module called something like "Adminstration of User Login" (translated)? If so, I'm not sure, if I should configure anything there...

If a functional device is connected, shouldn't be some related module listed in lsmod output? If so, what should I look for?

Here is dmesg -w reacting on connected fingerprint reader:
    [11961.403697] usb 1-4: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
    [11961.735898] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=27c6, idProduct=5740
    [11961.735900] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [11961.735901] usb 1-4: Product: Goodix Fingerprint Device
    [11961.735902] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: HTMicroelectronics
    [11961.735903] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: HTK32
    [11961.739518] cdc_acm 1-4:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    [11961.753790] input: HTMicroelectronics Goodix Fingerprint Device as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:
    02:00.0/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.2/0003:27C6:5740.0006/input/input18
    [11961.753896] hid-generic 0003:27C6:5740.0006: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [HTMicroelectronics Goodix
    Fingerprint Device ] on usb-0000:02:00.0-4/input2

In addition to that, here's xhci lsmod output:

# lsmod | grep xhci
    xhci_pci 16384 0
    xhci_hcd 245760 1 xhci_pci
    usbcore 286720 4 usbhid,cdc_acm,xhci_pci,xhci_hcd

As for

Code:
    # udevadm info -a -n /dev/sdb | less
    ... that doesn't look healthy (yep, that /dev/sdb) and is giving a non-sense output. Well, I might be doing something wrong...

Oak

Blog Entries

I'm going to be a bit hamstrung personally for several days as I've had to replace my workhorse due to catastrophic hardware failure, but your dmesg output suggests to me your kernel properly identified it and has already configured a driver

Although you could also try running udevadm and point to the proper dev device, you may be able to skip that and make sure a udev rule exists for your device and is properly written. If you find a possibly improper rule, you can post for others to evaluate

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Although you could also try running udevadm and point to the proper dev device, you may be able to skip that and make sure a udev rule exists for your device and is properly written. If you find a possibly improper rule, you can post for others to evaluate
    Unfortunately I have no experience with udev rules. I get what the command does:

Code:
    # udevadm info --help   
    udevadm info [OPTIONS] [DEVPATH|FILE]
     -n --name=NAME              Node or symlink name used for query or attribute walk.
     -a --attribute-walk         Print all key matches walking along the chain
                                 of parent devices
    ...but I don't know what device I should pass into the command. Definitely not the /dev/sdb, right? Also the /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:
    02:00.0/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.2/0003:27C6:5740.0006/input/input18 is more than suspicious.udev.

I tried

Code:
    # udevdm info -a -n /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:02:00.0/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.2/000
    3:27C6:5740.0006/input/input18 | less
    ...but it seems to give empty results. Probably due to a nonsense device, I entered.

Oak

Anyone please, any more idas?

Blog Entries

Although my new machine isn't fully up and may also need to be replaced,
    Based on a quick Internet search,

You should install and try to use this tool as one attempt...

https://software.opensuse.org/package/fingerprint-gui

The tool should be more or less self-explanatory... Launch it and see if it identifies your scanner.
    If it does, then enroll.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Another attempt would be to follow the steps in the following fprint ArchWiki article...
    Except for installation (You would use openSUSE methods using Software Manager or zypper), the remaining configuration steps should work on openSUSE

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fprint

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Although the following StackExchange article is fairly old (2015),
    You might find it useful...

Use lsusb to verify your device is recognized and how... although as I already noted it looks like the kernel did detect your scanner and assign a kernel mode driver.

Although it describes how to write a udev rule that modifies so you can login with normal Users and not just root, seems to me that just trying the rule should fix whatever problems you might have. Note that this may also be necessary even if Fingerprint-GUI appears to work at first.

And, although may not be necessary don't ignore the link to the original tutorial the post is based on

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...orking-as-root

HTH,
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast